Opare's Emersed Culture Tank + Fish Bowl Iwagumi - The Planted Tank Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Opare's Emersed Culture Tank + Fish Bowl Iwagumi

Emersed Tank:

Hi everyone, I just set up an emersed bin to collect trimmings, extras and plants I like but aren't being used currently. I just followed the guide on APC by Zappins to set it up.

Equipment:
Up Aqua Z Series Pro LED 45 CM on for 12 hours
5x Food containers (Used the lids to make dividers)
Some random plastic box from Ikea
EarthGro Potting Soil
Generic terrestrial foliar fertiliser (equal ratios of N/P/K)
Plastic knives for name tags

Plants:
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Rotala sp. 'Nanjenshan'
Anbuias barteri Var. nana 'Petite'
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Brown'
Limnophila aromatica
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Lemna minor
Pogostemon erectus
Bucephalandra 'Pinky Mambo'
Bucephalandra 'Catherine'
Bucephalandra 'Brownie Ghost Red'
Bucephalandra 'Brownie Midnight Blue'
Bucephalandra 'Brownie Purple'
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Vesicularia sp. 'Triangle'

Fish Bowl Emersed Iwagumi:

Equipment:
Some random fish bowl I found in my house
Sunlight
Earth-Gro Potting Soil

Plants:
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Eleocharis acicularis sp. 'Mini'

Hardscape:
Ryu stone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WaterLife and AquaticArt like this.

Last edited by Opare; 02-18-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Typo/Moved stuff around for ease of viewing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very nice. Are you feeding them anything special or depending on the soil (?) you're using?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Opare's Emersed Culture Tank

Currently only have these 2 plants in here, cus was planning to chuck in extras from my 60P, which I was planning to plant today. Unfortunately, the LFS didn't have the plants I wanted, so I just picked these 2 which were grown on Wabi balls to experiment on.
I bought 2 of each species and cut off and planted the stems from one ball of each species, and left the other one just as a whole ball, mainly to see the differences of growth (and cus I was a bit lazy to keep planting). Will probably end up replanting the other balls in the coming days as well. I also left the 2 cut balls in to see if they could regrow as a bit of an experiment. I'm a bit worried about overcrowding where the stems are but we shall see how it goes.
Tomorrow, I'll be hopefully planting my 60P, so the other containers should get filled. I will also try and get some floaters to occupy the gaps so the water doesn't become too algae ridden.

On the aforementioned thread on APC, Zappins said the soil should be enough to sustain them for a few years. If the plants do start to look poorly I'll probably start fertilising with some foliar feeders. Also, I forgot to put which type of soil I'm using, sorry hahaha. I'm using EarthGro Potting Soil, cus it was the smallest bag I could fine in the hardware store (LOL). I'll add that to the equipment list, thanks!
EDIT: By the way, I was looking for tags for the plants, but couldn't find them anywhere. Anyone got some ideas for a cheap alternative? Maybe I could use plastic utensils?

Last edited by Opare; 02-18-2017 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Moved stuff for ease of viewing

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Algae Grower

White plastic spoons and black sharpies will be your friends for cheap ID tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
On the aforementioned thread on APC, Zappins said the soil should be enough to sustain them for a few years. If the plants do start to look poorly I'll probably start fertilising with some foliar feeders. Also, I forgot to put which type of soil I'm using, sorry hahaha. I'm using EarthGro Potting Soil, cus it was the smallest bag I could fine in the hardware store (LOL). I'll add that to the equipment list, thanks!
EDIT: By the way, I was looking for tags for the plants, but couldn't find them anywhere. Anyone got some ideas for a cheap alternative? Maybe I could use plastic utensils?

Opare likes this.

"Personally, I would be delighted if there was a life after death, especially if it permitted me to continue to learn about this world and others, if it gave me a chance to discover how history turns out." ~Carl Sagan, Cosmos

"I can't tell you how many people say they were turned off from science because of a science teacher that completely sucked out all the inspiration and enthusiasm they had for the course." ~Neil deGrasse Tyson.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hi everyone, yesterday I planted and filled my 60P (thread coming soon), so that means the bin got some more plants! Turns out I actually didn't overbuy that much on plants for the tank, so didn't have as many plants to fill in this as I thought I would.

I added Anbuias barteri Var. nana 'Petite', Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Brown', Limnophila aromatica and Hemianthus callitrichodes.
These are basically leftovers from my tank, or in the case of the L. aromatica, plants I didn't end up using. Most of the plants came in emersed form so we shouldn't see too many plants doing poorly. Interested to see how the Anubias does, maybe I could get some flowering. The R. rotundifolia is looking a bit poorly, but that's how it looked when I first planted, hopefully it starts to perk up a bit.
Gonna get some floaters this weekend, to cover the water. Also, made some name tags out of plastic knives, you can sort of see them.

Nlewis, Supa Mint and BettaBettas like this.

Last edited by Opare; 08-06-2016 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Typos and grammar
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Finally got some floaters to cover the water, which has become very dark from the soil. Got some Amazon Frogbit and (I may rue this decision) Duckweed, cus Duckweed is the only plant small enough to fit into those nooks and crannies.
The R. rotundifolia is really looking a little worse for wear, which is strange because it's already in emersed form. The other plants look okay, especially the R. sp. 'Nanjenshan'. In fact the cut stems from its Wabi ball are sprouting new nodes!

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So I just returned from holiday and the tub is doing good. The floaters are reproducing and all the other plants are doing well. There's a bit of a patch of melting on the HC, but other than that it looks good. The R. rotundifolia is bouncing back now, but I will probably have to replant the tops as the bottoms are pretty straggly.

WaterLife and BettaBettas like this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hey everyone time for a little update.
Today I topped and replanted both Rotala species, the ones on the Wabi balls and the normally planted ones. A lot of the R. sp. 'Nanjenshan' was looking a bit ratty at the top so I decided to replant it and see how it does. The R. rotundifolia had to be topped as there was good new growth but the old growth needed to go. Also removed the dead patch in the HC.
Overall, I'm very happy with how the tub is working out. Zero maintainance and plant growth is great! Gonna try and set up an emersed/Wabi Kusa dish in one of those DoAqua! dishes (or similar), in the next month or so, just to make use of the some of the plants growing out of here.
EDIT: Also put some strands of moss I had lying around just to see how they will do. The Java Moss has been there a while and is still green. Just put some F. fontanus, it's supposed to be a fully aquatic moss, but we shall see how it does. The soil is really wet so it should be okay.

Last edited by Opare; 08-21-2016 at 04:22 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hello! Everything is going well with the tub, and it also got a new addition, Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini'. I picked it up when I was buying a new QT tank, just to fill up some of the space in the tub.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Update time! Gave the L. aromatica a trim because it was getting huge.

Everything is still going well. Moved some Bucephalandra rhizomes that weren't doing so hot in the 60P (one I accidentally snipped).
They are hard to see in the photo because they have no leaves.
Also trimmed the P. erectus from the 60P, so that went in here as well.

Last edited by Opare; 09-06-2016 at 06:43 AM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

very cool grow
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Picture time! The iPhone camera actually works quite okay for this setup, although it sucks for the 60P.

The moss is growing nicely, but the Rotala sp. 'Nanjenshan' is probably the plant that is doing the worst. It has like these dried out tips not sure why. It grows quickly but not healthily. Also, as you can see in the photo, managed to revive a Bucephalandra 'Pinky Mambo' rhizome.
L. aromatica as big and beautiful as always.
The R. rotundifolia 'Blood Red' is really coming along. It's starting to get a nice deep colouration in this setup (unlike my 60P).
Hairgrass going crazy, might have to rehome some. Anubias looks a bit so-so not sure why...
Have 2 pots of HC now and both have just gone mad, probably the best performer next to the hairgrass. Will need to start selling it soon. Crypts also doing well, and the P. erectus has transitioned from submersed to emersed growth, probably have to replant it soon.
Really want to setup a Wabikusa to use some of these plants but there is just no space in my room. :-( You may be thinking 'But Wabis are so small?', but somehow I have well and truly run out of space, between this hobby and my turntable stuff.
Anyway hope the photos and ramblings were enjoyable!

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 04:59 AM
Algae Grower

if you ever decide to sell some anubias please let me know im thinking about glueing some anubias petite onto my ohko stones.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnwin View Post
if you ever decide to sell some anubias please let me know im thinking about glueing some anubias petite onto my ohko stones.
I live in Malaysia (I'm very far away from you) so that may not be possible. If you were close I would be glad to give you some, alas that is not the case.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So with the rescape of my 60P, came some changes to the emersed tank. Moved stuff around a bit, hacked away bad growth etc.
New plant list is in the first post, but mostly not much has changed.
Have started to spray a balanced foliar fertiliser once a week as the plants were exhibiting deficiencies, hopefully this can help them perk up.

Econde and BettaBettas like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode