Scolba's Edge 6 gal - First time with live plants! - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By scolba

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Scolba's Edge 6 gal - First time with live plants!

Back into fish keeping for me!!

Greetings, folks. Its been a long time since I have kept fish, so I find that I am having to relearn a whole bunch of things, so I figure, why not pile it on even deeper and jump into it with both feet and do live plants, too!

As with so many things, this all starts with a girl. I had been into fish a number of years ago with my now deceased wife, but for a number of reasons, I got out of it. I missed it occasionally, but none of my friends were into tanks or plants, so I didn't have the exposure to it that hooks so many of us. More recently, I started dating again and met met a wonderful woman who I will be marrying. When I met her folks for the first time, they had just moved into a new house. They weren't even completely unpacked yet, but had their tank up and running. My focus the rest of that evening kept drifting to a large rectangle of water that housed angels, gouramis, plecos, etc. Kind of hit me all at once that I missed my tanks. Every time we were there since then, I spent a fair amount of time with the tank...just watching. Loving it.

As my GF and I continued our relationship, she had mentioned that she wanted to keep fish too....but nothing too big to start (I had been running 2 55's and a 20T before). Well....off to craigslist I went....like a dutiful boyfriend...just trying to give her what SHE wanted...nothing to do with my yearning. Riiiiiiight. Anyway...Having been out of the hobby for a while, I hadn't really been aware of nano tanks. They are quite cool...obviously with some drawbacks...but still, very neat. I came across a Fluval Edge 6 for a very fair price, and loved how it looked! I sent a picture to the lady, and she was like...yes. Now. So off I went, and came home with a nice little setup. Mostly.

We had talked it over, and decided we wanted to do real plants. They are just cooler tanks in general. And I figured it would help with the small volume of water for processing fish waste, etc. Flawed supposition or not, that's what we decided. I did a bit of research and lurking on here and decided Java Ferns and Anubis were the first to get....easy, lower light....no biggie. Then I found PeckTek on youtube setting an edge up with Bio Complete substrate. I was def in favor of that...thinking it to be a shortcut to both the N cycle as well as easier getting plants going. Heh. We'll see.

So thats where we started.
Fluval Edge 6
Bio Complete Substrate
Java Windelov Fern
Java Fern narrow leaf
Some Anubis, which I can't remember now, and ditched the tag thing. Doh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20160711_191803.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	653217  

AWolf likes this.

~~~ Reophile ~~~

Last edited by scolba; 07-17-2016 at 01:28 AM. Reason: words are hard sometimes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It came with a Tetra PF10, which leaked. A tetra heater, which boiled the water (ok, not really). And the old Halogen bulbs. haha, so maybe not quite the deal that I thought it was initially.

By the time we figured out that the filter it was leaking (it was the o ring around the motor) it was about 10PM, all the main stores were closed. Wal Mart didn't have what i wanted. Finally I found something worth a try. A Penn-Plax Cascade 80. right dimensions, adjustable flow controller, and pretty cheap. Best part was it was at a 24 hour Meijer. Score. So we made a run there, and picked it up. The only downside was that it was mech and chem filter only...no bio. but i had a small bag of bioballs that fit in from just PERFECTLY. So I was in good shape there! WOO!

Next thing was the heater and lights. That tetra was running it at about 87 degrees with the halogens. I ended up ordering these lights, and found a local pet story with a tiny tank heater:
Lights
Heater

Not great reviews on the heater, but so far so good. The lights look a ton better, but we will see how they do too.

Also after testing the first time, pH 7.6, Amonnia 3 (fishless cycle), Nitrite 2, and Nitrate 80 (holy crap), i figured a few more plants might help out...and also....I am adicted to plants already, so I wanted more anyway!!

So after all the changes over the last few days, this is how it sits today.

New to the tank:
Cryptocoryne
Micro Sword
Moss ball (GF's request!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20160716_171940.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	653233  

~~~ Reophile ~~~

Last edited by scolba; 07-17-2016 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Words again
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Came here from your other thread, and you've made a good start. Good plant choices for your setup (low-tech). You should consider some trying to house some Red Cherry Shrimp, they would be perfect for this tank. Also, don't worry too much about Nitrates, you need a really high level to do damage and plants need it to grow anyway. Plus the high level is cus the tank is cycling anyway, it will go down.
Other plant suggestions I can give are maybe moss you could attach to rocks/wood, maybe some easy stems like Limnophila species or some Rotala species. Stems really help out a tank as they grow fast and help compete with the dreaded algae for resources. There's quite a few plnats you can look at, the Tropica website has a decent database if you ever want to get more, but need to know requirements etc. Obviously you could also just ask here on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

The Edge is a good looking tank, and I like your start. Some people plant trees when they start a new relationship, others....aquariums! It's nice to have someone to share the hobby. I lost my husband many years ago, but I've adopted PT as my significant other. Yea, we have our ups and downs. We don't always see things eye to eye, but we are always there for each other.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Came here from your other thread, and you've made a good start. Good plant choices for your setup (low-tech). You should consider some trying to house some Red Cherry Shrimp, they would be perfect for this tank. Also, don't worry too much about Nitrates, you need a really high level to do damage and plants need it to grow anyway. Plus the high level is cus the tank is cycling anyway, it will go down.
Other plant suggestions I can give are maybe moss you could attach to rocks/wood, maybe some easy stems like Limnophila species or some Rotala species. Stems really help out a tank as they grow fast and help compete with the dreaded algae for resources. There's quite a few plnats you can look at, the Tropica website has a decent database if you ever want to get more, but need to know requirements etc. Obviously you could also just ask here on the forum.

Thanks Opare! Actually Red Cherry Shrimp are on the list, and hopefully a few Ember Tetras, too!

I will def look into the Limnophila and Rotala species you mentioned. And thanks for the Tropica resource too, that will come in handy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWolf View Post
The Edge is a good looking tank, and I like your start. Some people plant trees when they start a new relationship, others....aquariums! It's nice to have someone to share the hobby. I lost my husband many years ago, but I've adopted PT as my significant other. Yea, we have our ups and downs. We don't always see things eye to eye, but we are always there for each other.

Ha, that's a good way of looking at it....not a love fern, but a love tank. I'm glad you have found a good hobby, too, on the tail end of your loss. Hobbies are good for the brain!

So the next step for this tank is to put together a lighting upgrade/addition. I am basically copying this guys setup here:
Fluval Edge 6 LED strip light mod

The only difference is I plant to use Aluminum T track from Rockler (Universal T-Track-Universal T-Track - Rockler Woodworking Tools) (another hobby of mine is woodworking). The measurements look like they should be just about perfect. I should be able to slide the tape into the channels. My parts get here on Wednesday, so we will see then!

~~~ Reophile ~~~
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just a word on stocking I like to wait a while before stocking, 3~ weeks before shrimp, and 2 months before fish. It just means it's easier to deal with problems that come up when new tanks are made, as you don't have to worry about harming the critters. Also, means less organics in a immature system which can reduce algal issues. You don't need to follow these and can stock as soon as the tank is cycled but I just like to do it. Obviously quaratining stock is also good practice, especially when you buy from box stores, but I know this can be hard to do for some because money/space constraints. Quarantining fish is a bigger deal than shrimp IMO though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode