10 gallon, first tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

10 gallon, first tank

Hi all! Recently read about Amano-sensei's work, and immediately fell in love and decided to setup my own tank.

This was my first setup, shortly (~24 hours) after filling it for the first time:

Filter: Aqueon QuietFlow 20

Substrate: about an inch of black sand, and then an inch of gravel on top

Plants: golden jennies in the back (can barely see them), New Zealand microsword in the front right, dwarf hair grass in the front left

Lighting: T8 15W Floramax tube on a timer, about 8 hours a day

Fauna: a few ghost shrimp that I put in after I left the tank cycle for a day or so (you can see one swimming on the left side). To my great dismay, they all died within 36 hours. I suspect the water just wasn't there yet. I should have been more patient.

========================

I received some great feedback about splitting up my plants when planting them, and the lighting being probably too dim. I also really didn't like how the scaping turned out.

So last week, I emptied out about ~80% of the water, got some better rocks from my LFS (shoutout to Aqua Forest Aquarium in San Francisco), and rescaped everything.

Here's the new setup:

Filter: Aqueon QuietFlow 20

CO2: Varzea beginner set, 1 bubble per second

Substrate: about an inch of gravel on top of a varying amount of black sand (for the slope)

Plants: golden jennies in the rear right side, New Zealand microsword in the front right, dwarf hair grass in the front left. Much more spread out now - I'm hoping they'll carpet nicely.

Lighting: Nicrew 11". I don't quite like it - too short for my (20" long) tank, and the illumination is not quite there. I ordered a Finnex 24/7 to replace it.

Fauna: none for now.

========================

Definitely learned a lot so far, and am much happier with the overall design. Current water parameters are Nitrites/Nitrates/Ammonia at 0, and pH at around 6.5. Temperature is 75F/24C.

I will be going to my LFS tonight or tomorrow to get some ferts (thinking ADA Brighty Step 1 and ADA Brighty K). I am also thinking of adding 4-5 red cherry shrimp to add color and movement to the tank - hopefully the tank is established enough at this point.

When the plants are more grown out (really hoping the DHG carpets nicely), I'd like to add a group of small shoaling fish. Perhaps some 8 or so neon tetras? Gotta to do more reading on this.

I'm not a huge fan of my filter: it's a bit noisy, it's large and ugly, and if the water isn't covering the outflow at the surface, it creates way too much current. For now I'm just topping off my tank every day or two to make sure the remains level with the water, but at some point I'd like to switch to a better filter that will allow me to use nice glass inflow/outflow pipes (probably the Eheim 2211).

Thanks for reading- would love any feedback, tips, or advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

10 gallon, first tank

I would go for smaller fish than Neon Tetras, look at Microrasboras or Celestial Pearl Danios. There's more options but you can start looking there. There should be a sticky list somewhere on the forum for fish for Nano tanks.
Wait a few weeks (3ish more if you want) before livestock, this allows your tank to mature a bit, and makes problems that crop up in the first few weeks easier to deal with. Some people do stock in the first week but I just prefer not to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 04:28 AM
Algae Grower

I'd also suggest something smaller than Neon Tetras, such as the aforementioned Microrasboras or Celestial Pearl Danios, even Green Neon Tetras would be a better fit. I've had experience with all of them and the Neon Tetras were the biggest, feistiest, and most active swimmers of them all. As of a few weeks ago Aqua Forest Aquarium also stocked some very small adult Gertrudae Rainbowfish (no bigger than CPDs) that looked really attractive and suitable for a 10 gallon, they also didn't appear shy at all. Pleasantly active (yet at a much mellower pace than the Neon Tetras) and peaceful looking.

Albany Aquarium in the east bay (easily accessible via BART) regularly stocks Norman's Lampeye Killifish which have striking big blue eyes and are very mellow, they seem to almost saunter around the tank. Sometimes AFA stocks them as well.

I know one thing: that I know nothing
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 05:10 AM
Algae Grower

I personally wouldn't stock any Danio in a smaller tank than a 20 since they love to have swimming room. Ember tetras are nice, I believe there are hot chilly rasboras as well. There's a ton of options for you, if you decide to not get any shrimp you could have two pea puffers. Here's an ok link to get the ideas going, but some of the information is wrong so Id do my research before you get anything off this list-
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/nano-f...iums-5134.html
A lot of the information as way to small tanks, but this can help with ideas.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 07:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

10 gallon, first tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platy Lover View Post
I personally wouldn't stock any Danio in a smaller tank than a 20 since they love to have swimming room.
Celestial Pearl Danios are really small fish and should be fine in a 10 Gallon.
Like @proper.noun said, Pseudomugil species could also be nice, and the 10 gallon may be enough space for a few of em.

By the way, when you top off the tank try and use RO water. If you use tap water it will cause your TDS and GH to slowly creep up which may not be great for livestock, particularly shrimp. Also, when you get a shrimp get a group of 10 so it increases chances of getting a good gender mix.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 04:59 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Quote:
I personally wouldn't stock any Danio in a smaller tank than a 20 since they love to have swimming room.
Celestial Pearl Danios are really small fish and should be fine in a 10 Gallon.
Like @proper.noun said, Pseudomugil species could also be nice, and the 10 gallon may be enough space for a few of em.

By the way, when you top off the tank try and use RO water. If you use tap water it will cause your TDS and GH to slowly creep up which may not be great for livestock, particularly shrimp. Also, when you get a shrimp get a group of 10 so it increases chances of getting a good gender mix.

Yeah I know they are small, it's just a personal thing for me. I just don't think I could like seeing a Danio in a ten personally. Not saying that it's wrong, just something I'm personally a little nervous every to try. Of course it could change if u actually got a ten with them.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah I know they are small, it's just a personal thing for me. I just don't think I could like seeing a Danio in a ten personally. Not saying that it's wrong, just something I'm personally a little nervous every to try. Of course it could change if u actually got a ten with them.
Fair enough, I've seen a few people have them in Tenners though.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone for the comments! Super helpful.

Thanks also for the Albany Aquarium rec - that's almost easier of access to me, since I live right next to BART, and going into Japan Town is not the most convenient. Will check it out.

So the tank is about a month old now - water parameters are doing good, although not completely stable.

Earlier this week, I decided to add 5 red cherry shrimps. One of them was kind of lethargic, at the bottom of the bag - and died 36 or so hours later. The other four, however, are doing great - happily grazing around and hiding in between rocks. I found 3 molted exoskeletons, which I'm leaving in there for the calcium boost.

I have to say, when I started this tank I had no intention of putting shrimps in there (besides maybe a couple for cleanup crew), but those RCS are really growing on me. Gonna add ten more or so soon. I've also been mesmerized by Crystal Red Shrimp at my LFS, and really dig the whole color grades. When I'm more experienced, I might have a go at keeping those - I hear they're tricky.

I still want to put a group of small shoaling fish at some point, but I'll wait for the plants to have grown out much more for that.

I made the mistake of putting an entire algae wafer the other night - they loved it, but it really is impossible to underestimate how little shrimp eat. I took out as much of it as I could the next day.

I leave the CO2 + lights on about 10 hours a day, and dose 2ml of ADA Step 2 and Brighty K. It seems to be working really well - I see tons of runners coming out of my dwarf hair grass. Really crossing my fingers for a nice carpeted look very soon!

Speaking of CO2, I switched out my CO2 diffuser to a Do!Aqua 20mm diameter music note - I don't expect it to have more than a marginal effect, but it's just cosmetically more pleasing. Next step will be to switch out the filter with a canister one so I can setup a lily pipe outflow and a nice, clear acrylic intake. I really hate the look of my current filter. Again, a cosmetic change more than a functional one, but both matter to me.

I did have one regret recently - my tank, the cheapest 10 gallon I could find, is really not that good looking. The black rim is ugly, and the silicon joints are wide and visible. I should have been more patient and done more research - if I had, I'd definitely have gone for the Mr. Aqua 12 long. Oh well, that's how you learn. Definitely don't have enough room in my current apartment for a second tank, and I don't want to go through the pain of replanting this one... but whenever I switch, I know what I'll be going for
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

A tank doesn't cycle in a day, it takes weeks. I don't care what you seed it with.
You might start having more luck keeping things alive by now.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode