17G Iwagumi Style Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Gongus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

17G Iwagumi Style Tank

Started my first planted tank about 2 months ago and figured I would create a journal to document my progress. Since this is my first time with a hi-tech planted tank, expect many rookie mistakes. The first couple of posts will be retroactive. Here are the stats:

Tank
ADA 60P

Lights
Chihiros Aquasky 36W LED. This is basically the Chinese knock-off of the ADA Aquasky. I love it so far.

Substrate
ADA Aquasoil Amazonia

Hardscape
5 Seiryu Stones (purchased from a fellow user of these forums)

CO2
Pressurized dual stage regulator. It was built by Alan Le originally, though i bought it second-hand from another user who had used it for a few months. I have it connected to a 2.5 lbs CO2 tank - it's what fits in my cabinet. I use an in tank ceramic diffuser (which I don't like at all).

Filter
Fluval G3
13mm Lily pipe outflow
17mm glass inflow pipe
I'm using Purigen instead of charcoal in the filter

Flora
S. Repens
Monte Carlo
DHG
I'm currently dosing with NiloG's Thrive all in one fert once or twice a week.

Fauna
5 neon tetras
5 Venezuelan pygmy Corys
2 otos
2 Peacock gudgeons
1 Glofish Danio (my four year old insisted)
1 nerite snail

I decided to do an Iwagumi tank because I really liked the look of the carpeting. I went with Monte Carlo for the carpet because by all accounts it was easier to grow than HC Cuba and would spread more quickly (this has worked out nicely). I also decided to add some areas with Repens for added interest and some clumps of DHG around and on top of the rocks (a decision I would come to regret. Being a neophyte I did not expect the DHG to spread so far out so quickly and to have to constantly trim it back to battle it or risk it overtaking the Monte Carlo carpet).

I chose not to do DSM. My thinking was that I was not putting any livestock at the time (to let the filter cycle), so I would flood, crank up the CO2 and not have to deal with plants having to transition from emerged to submerged stage later. This worked rather well, I have to say. Below you can see what my cabinet looks like and the tank the day I planted it and flooded it. The top picture is from 24 hours after flooding. The Purigen really helped make the water crystal clear in no time.

More to follow in my next post!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	650201  

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	650209  

Name:	IMG_0043.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	650217  

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	650225  

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	650233  

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	650241  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Week 1 thru 3

Week 1 was pretty uneventful. I did water changes every few days and things seemed to be under control for the most part. Then by Week 2 i got a huge diatom bloom. I had no idea what was happening and after much research decided to leave it alone hoping it would go away on its own after the tank cycled and I added a clean-up crew. Then at the start of Week 3 I got a huge bloom of blue-green algae (aka as cyanobacteria). The whole tank was covered within a few days. I have no pics from this period because it was frankly depressing and I almost quit the whole planted tank thing. I decided to tackle it as aggressively as I could, and because I had no fish in my tank and the filter had not cycled yet, I could afford to take somewhat more extreme measures than if you had to worry about the fish or the nitrifying bacteria. So here's what I did, which ultimately worked very well, so others may want to try it. It was adapted from the One-Two Punch Whole Tank Treatment:
The "One-Two Punch" Whole Tank Algae Treatment

But I was even more aggressive. First, I started with a water change, in which I tried to remove as much of the BGA as possible by hand (it tends to come off in sheets). While the water was low I also spot treated the hardscape with 3% H2O2. Then I refilled the water and dosed both H2O2 AND an Excel overdose. I let it rest for one day and then started a full treatment with Erythromycin, including water changes every other day. On the water change days, I repeated the H2O2 and Excel treatments and continued removing by hand. By Day 3 the difference was remarkable and by Day 6, the tank was spotless. Yes, this was aggressive. Yes, it was probably overkill, but it worked. At this point I also learned that i had made a key rookie mistake. My light periods had been for almost 12 hours straight thru. So I lowered my light period to 8 hours split into two 4 hours sessions and added a daily capful of Excel to my maintenance regiment, and algae has been (mostly, though not entirely) under control since then.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Week 4 to 6

By Week 4 the cyanobacteria bloom had subsided after my aggressive measures to bring it under control. The diatoms had mostly gone away as well (lots of water changes!), but I realized that the treatment had set back my cycling a bit. So I added Tetra Safe Start Water Treatment to jump start the nitrifying bacteria and get things back in balance. By Week 5 things were back on track and I decided to start adding the first inhabitants. I started with 5 neon tetras, 2 otos, and the glofish (which my daughter insisted we get and has since named Little Princess Elsa). At this point, I also changed from the bulb-type glass pipe to a lily pipe, because i felt the bulb was not generating enough flow which was contributing to the algae issues. I also started dosing Thrive, the all-in-one liquid fert that NilocG from these forums makes and sells on his site. I continued with 30% weekly water changes. Here's a pic of what things looked like at this point.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1467836407469.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	650297  

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good job. I suggest getting more Otos and Neon Tetras though. Both like groups, and Neons do better in large ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I hear you. I've been doing the stocking slowly to make sure the tank really is cycled and can handle it. I definitely plan to add more otos and tetras in the next few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Good job. I suggest getting more Otos and Neon Tetras though. Both like groups, and Neons do better in large ones.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Weeks 7 thru 9

Things have been surprisingly stable for the past few weeks and with the holidays, I have kept my interventions with the tank to a minimum, mostly for lack of time but also to allow it more time to really settle in. I did add the two peacock gudgeons and the venezuelan corys during this time. The livestock is all doing well and I plan to add additional fish in the upcoming weeks. Probably to make the tetra colony bigger and add some more otos. We'll see. Below are two pics of the tank as it looks now. The carpet has really grown in and now covers the entire tank. i'm very happy with it, except, as I mentioned before, with the fact that i need to keep trimming the DHG back, which is a royal PITA.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	650457  

Name:	IMG_7015.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	650465  

TaylorTurner and BBogdan like this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Week 10

The tank is stabilizing and I have resisted the urge to add more fish for now. I have had a couple of issues and was hoping for some help.

A. While the algae issues are mostly under control, I still get pretty strong growth of algae on the glass. I find myself scraping the glass with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser every other day or so. The Magic Erasers are amazing by the way, but it's getting real tiresome. There's essentially no algae anywhere else BUT on the glass. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how to improve this situation? Lowering the light period? More CO2? Excel does nothing, BTW.

B. I have a 13mm lily pipe outflow on the tank now. Has anyone used a 17mm pipe on a 17 gallon tank? I feel like it might look disproportionate, but at the same time, it might have more even water flow? Anyone ever tried this?

C. Thinking of adding an inline CO2 diffuser? Anyone has recommendations on a good one? I hate seeing the ceramic diffuser in the tank.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

17G Iwagumi Style Tank

Can only help with A really. Reducing the light period/intensity whilst increasing CO2 levels should help. Be careful not to overdo the CO2, you just want to hit the maximum point. Since it's an Iwagumi with all low lying plants you don't need to blast light all that much, and algae can easily become an issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode