The Planted Tank Forum banner

spore's 10 gallon

4K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  spore 
#1 · (Edited)
Just did a hack, slash, and replant on my 10 gallon tank. Thought maybe it'd be a good time to post a journal to follow it filling in.

Tank: 10 G rimless
CO2: Inline Atomic, fed by Atomic paintball regulator
Lights: 2 x 20w CFLs in aluminum domes, wired and hung from a DIY conduit setup.
Substrate: Fluval Stratum
Fauna: 2 x Otocinclus macrospilus, 1 x Amano shrimp
Flora: Rotala rotundifolia, Rotala sp. "H'ra", Rotala sp. mini "butterfly", Limnophila mini "vietnam", Pogostemon Helferi, Micranthemum "Monte Carlo", Hydrocotyle tripartita "Japan"

FTS - 25th of June, 2016 - Monte carlo starting to finally transition from tissue culture and grow, all stems cut and replanted(were at the surface). Still working on getting the H'ra to color up.

Full setup Shot:

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks!
I got them from the hardware store(home depot) has an "incandescent work light". I removed the clamps, and also had to remove all the wiring to chase them through the conduit.
This is what it looked like when I bought it:

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks! I really tried hard to find a way to have inexpensive, readily available and adjustable lighting, but not have it just clamped on to the tank ghetto fabulous. This was what I came up with :)

The stainless pipes are awesome. They weigh about twice as much as glass, and it really helps a hang-on-tank design stay put. I don't know how many times I cursed my glass hang-on pipes going all sideways any time I touched the filter. I also like that the inflow slots are cut on both sides of the pipe, so I have less problems with longer plants nearby getting stuck to the pipe.

#13 ·
Go for it man, steal away! If you have any questions about fittings, mounting, etc let me know.
As far as PAR goes, I think I am doing alright.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/904062-post69.html

The lights are 12" from the substrate in back, and 15 in the front, which according to Hoppy's charts puts me in the range to pretty much grow anything my heart desires. That is, assuming I can keep the CO2 high enough and stable, and keep the nutrients a flowing.

#17 ·
I will be redoing 2 of my tanks in a month or so and I love the look and the price of that light build I may need to borrow it too! Tank looks great though can't wait to see it fill in. Also I like how the lights sort of match the inflow/outflow pipes really helps the entire setup look 'complete'. Good work!

#25 ·
I am pretty sure it is an Aqua-Japan tank. The dimensions are: 45x29x30cm

Bump: I've started bumping up my iron dosing, and it seems to have helped the rotundifolia and H'ra color up a bit. In fact, the H'ra had lost enough color that now I have a hard time telling the two apart. Hopefully with a little more work and tweaking I can get those nice H'ra pinks back!

The H'ra and rotundifolia are mixed evenly in this pic.. can you tell the difference? :D

#27 ·
Sadly, this tank developed a leak at the front right corner through the bottom silicone yesterday, and has been torn down :(
Apparently getting that bent glass front sealed to the bottom is challenging, as the tank was still pretty much new.

#34 ·
It was a Aqua-Japan tank.. which I find somewhat humorous because the tank is actually made in China.

Ok so I'm confused on the whole spectrum/kelvin thing with lighting. Were those lights made for growing plants or are they just work lights? How did you know they'd work? Like what kind of kelvin range do you need to grow plants and do the bulbs need to be full-spectrum? And what about LEDs vs. fluorescents?

Sorry about the question barrage I was just thinking like, could I just stick a couple desk lamps over my tank? What are the general requirements for a light to grow plants? And do run-of-the-mill LEDs work?
I just bought the light fixtures and ran some 6500K CFLs in them, which are decent for growing plants. I've seen folks grow nice plants with everything from 4000-10000k bulbs, however, 5500k-8000k seems to be the goldilocks zone for plants growing well, and being pleasing to look at. Additionally, just because the bulb is a certain kelvin rating doesn't necessarily mean you are getting the full spectrum plants need either, so buying cheap bulbs which have incomplete spectral output could lead to reduced growth theoretically. These bulbs are Ecosmart 6500k 20w, and seemed to grow plants pretty well for me.

You could use Ikea desk lamps and buy some daylight bulbs rated at like 6000K ish. Although, not quite sure where the hobby stands on the usefulness of Kelvin ratings and what the ideal rating is supposed to be as there has been some back and forth on that. PAR ratings are the best way to measure the intensity given by a light fixture, and that will show which plants a certain fixture can support.
Sorry for the slight thread derailing OP. Sad to here about the tank :( Looked like it was gonna be something real good, oh well, you can come back even better next time!
This +1. I've seen people grow plants under everything from Ikea/Ottlite desk lamps, clamp lights, shop light fixtures, under cabinet lighting, even one of those "angel eye" LED rings that kids put on their headlights so their cars look like a BMW. PAR is key, as Opare said, but spectrum can play a pretty big part in plant structure, leaf development, and pigmentation. If you are bored and want an interesting subject to read up on, check out photomorphogenesis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.