33Gal Cube - Cubic Dutch - The Planted Tank Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 146 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

33Gal Cube - Cubic Dutch

Current full tank shot (5/11/17):

Just wanted my own thread to discuss my progress with this setup. I'm taking my time, not rushing anything. Wanting to do things right from the get go. So here she is.

Started off with a gift from a friend of a 33 gallon "cube" (18.25"x20.25"x20"). I plasti-dipped the rear glass panel in black.

Long term I want to get back into salt, so I asked a local guy to make me a stand for a 60 gallon cube (24x24x25). I spent a good week and a half sanding and varnishing to protect the wood and make her purdy. The stand doors are magnetically held. No hinges. Really makes getting into the stand easy.

I started rounding up my equipment. Firstly, I picked up 2 Current LED Plus Pro's from an LFS. Found a local guy with a used eheim 2217 for $80 with all equip and substrates, and nabbed a 5lb CO2 Al tank for $60. Finally got some magnetic "suction cups" for the eheim in-tank parts, and picked up an inline heater (300w).

I've changed my mind once on my substrate. Had picked up some dark pebbles from an LFS, but decided to go black diamond after some research.

Here are some progress pics.

At this point, I am just cycling some water, adding some ambiance to my residence, and trying to make up my mind on the scape.

I'm torn between doing a basic plain jane planted tank, and doing a hardscape.

If I did a simple planted, I love how this one looks...

I still have some time to think about it while I get the CO2 things situated. Still have to get a regulator, diffuser, and some kind of feedback device.

Anyways, I welcome feedback. Let me know what you think. It's pretty simple right now, and I guess all I can get are hardware critiques, but whatever.
Cornelar, BBogdan and BettaBettas like this.

Last edited by APynckel; 05-16-2017 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Updating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 146 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 05:30 PM
Algae Grower

Hmm...I'm curious about this - but how much did it cost to have the stand made for you locally vs. making it yourself? I have considered this in the past - but never pulled the trigger because I just end up looking for professional carpenters - which I know are going to be expense. How did you find them?
post #3 of 146 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It was about $200. I looked at glasscages, who has hard oak stands for a 60 gal cube for $185 or so and put up a wanted thread in a local fish keepers forum and someone chimed up. I paid a little extra for the magnetic doors.

post #4 of 146 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So I've got it flooded and running to stabilize the water, but I have this nice film on my water right now. What can I make to clean this water better?

post #5 of 146 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Made a quick surface skimmer. Seems to have helped...

post #6 of 146 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Been a little while, but I added some Giant Diano's to get the tank cycling. Everything seems to be going great so far. Once the funds are allocated, I'm going to dutch scape it. Still need to get a CO2 regulator and bury some osmocote in the BDBS.

LRJ likes this.
post #7 of 146 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 05:36 PM
LRJ
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by APynckel View Post
I'm going to dutch scape it
post #8 of 146 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Been a little while, but I added some Giant Diano's to get the tank cycling.

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

post #9 of 146 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 06:34 PM
LRJ
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Quote:
Been a little while, but I added some Giant Diano's to get the tank cycling.
post #10 of 146 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
The hell did that deserve a dislike for? I'm just cycling my 2217 with some throw away fish..

Also, purchased my GLA Gro-1 and inline diffuser on Thursday. So the CO2 situation is almost taken care of. Gotta settle on how I am going to control / get feedback on my CO2 qtys in the water column now.
BettaBettas likes this.
post #11 of 146 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Planted Tanker

Looks like you are off to a good start! I love Marineland tanks with black silicone.
post #12 of 146 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 05:46 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
The hell did that deserve a dislike for? I'm just cycling my 2217 with some throw away fish..
It was probably a (less than civil) recommendation to use a fishless cycle instead. I would also recommend this for the "no fish were harmed in the cycling of this tank" factor.
Opare likes this.
post #13 of 146 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skystrife View Post
It was probably a (less than civil) recommendation to use a fishless cycle instead. I would also recommend this for the "no fish were harmed in the cycling of this tank" factor.
It's not that I'm going to flush them or anything. I'll give them back to the LFS if I have to when I go to plant.

The tank, it seems, was already cycled by the time I had put them in there. I borrowed a gallon of water from a buddy's cycled tank, and traded him some eheim media. Went to the lfs this past weekend and they checked all my water parameters. No Ammonia, no NO2, no NO3.

I also wanted something other than fishing bobbers to look at while the rest of the equipment is gotten.
post #14 of 146 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Looks like you are off to a good start! I love Marineland tanks with black silicone.
Thank you! I'm trying to take my time and get everything done right from the get go. Slowly amassing the hardware.

Should I get a drop checker for CO2 feedback? How should I control the CO2? Set the bubble count and time it for overnight?

Very soon it will be time to order plants. Just need my shaping utensils and to make up my mind if I want any kind of hard scape objects in the tank, like a piece of drift wood. I'm just worried that I don't have enough room for it. It would help aid in separation of the plant species.

Here's my list of what I want thus far...

Foreground
Microanthenum Monte Carlo (offset front/left)

Midground
Alternanthera Reineckii Mini
Downoi
Rotala indica

Background
Ludwigia Super Red
Pogostemon Erectus
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Proserpinaca palustris (Mermaid Weed)

As for fauna, I've been recommended a pair of discus, but I also kind of want some shrimp (dream blue velvet), cories, german blue rams, and a small school of tetras.

Too many options running through my head.

Looking for feedback / suggestions / critiques to my selection as well.
post #15 of 146 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 03:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

33Gal Cube - Cubic Dutch

I don't know if Discus are best for a dutch setup, since they will take away quite a lot of focus from the plants. Also they probably won't play nice with the shrimp. Not to mention it will take a little bit of dedication to make sure they grow out well etc.
Probably a large school of some sort (Neons, Harlequins, Rummynose etc.) plus the GBRs, and maybe some Cories would be a decent stock list.
Drop checkers with 4DKH water are a good reference point for CO2. Try to get the solution inside to lime green, then see how the critters and plants respond. Fine tune it based on how your livestock feels, and how your plants are growing. I would just get a solenoid regulator for CO2 and time it to match your light period, except put it on an hour before lights come on and turn it off an hour before lights come off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
turtlesoup and APynckel like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode