Hex's 29 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Hex
Algae Grower

Hex's 29 Gallon

Hi guys, recently joined this forum and decided to post my tank here and keep it as a journal for myself to see changes in it over time and get some tips and advice on it.

To start off I made a huge mistake... will get to it later.

Bit of back story. Had a 10 gallon a few years back for atleast 3 years mainly kept bettas, shrimp and tetras, but was moving so had shut it down didn't have a anything for 2 years or so.

This year restarted my 10G went with a few shrimps (cherries and amano). Decided to upgrade, due to space limitations in my room I was only able to get a 29 G.

Did a fishless cycle with fish food and used some filter media from the old tank. Used Fluorite Black, and sand from my old tank as substrate since I wanted to go heavily planted this time, once cycled added the shrimps there is a nerite snail too but rarely see him(last saw him 3 days ago).

Now for the stocking decided to go with mainly two schools of tetras, and few oddballs or center pieces, such as rams or gouramis...
2 days back went to pick up some neon tetras since they were on sale at my LFS decided to get 9 , was looking around when I saw the mistake "a DISCUS" :/ . Was looking at it the store guy came up and asked If I wanted anything in particular, asked him about the discus. Now I usually do my research but this guy was so damn shy an in the back alone compared to the others who were up front when I came up to it, and they looked so beautiful. So told him what I had he said it would do fine in a 29 for a some time but might need to be moved to a bigger tank later..... so I decided to get him

SO here are my tank details.
Livestock:
-10 Neon Tetras
-1 Discus around 2"
-3-5 RCS
-2 Amanos Shrimp
-1 Nerite

Plants:
Java Fern
Java Moss
Hygro Difformis
Jungle Val
micro sword narrow leaf
Some pant I got on sale for $2 ( I think its Cabomba)

Equipment:
- Lights Stock Marineland hood leds(I know they're too less for my plants, just waiting for my leds to come in this week, so I can set it up gonna be 40W around 900 lumens)
- Penguin BioWheel 200
- Marineland C-220 Canister
- 200w heater which never turns on cause my room is always too hot(tank temp is already at 82f during day and 78 around night)

SO do you guys will be okay in there for the time being, he's been sticking to the right back corner of the tank since I put him in. Fed yesterday he would just stay there he did peck at some flakes after they fell on the substrate. Today he was a bit more active, stayed in the back but was exploring the left more also chased a tetra going after some food which was in his 'teritory'.

Don't have any pics right now since my phone camera sucks, but will get them asap for now enjoy this video (sorry about the crappy quality.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDlg51u3mUk

Also my tank doesn't look amazing as most of the tanks here but its my first time trying planted so any tips would be nice and I did put some root tabs near the val and swords, is that helpful.

Last edited by Hex; 05-30-2016 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Grammar and adding stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Hex
Algae Grower

So here are some quick pics this is after feeding so tetras are a bit fat.

Full Shot

Random Plant 'Cabomba' (anyone know what it might be) with Tetras

The Discus, the right side with the black fluorite is pretty much where he stays mainly towards back side near the Java ferns.

One of my Amanos

They're still quite shy and hide from people so couldn't get any good shots of the fish, will try when they come out more.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 02:09 AM
Algae Grower

Are you trying to breed the shrimp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex View Post
So here are some quick pics this is after feeding so tetras are a bit fat.

Full Shot

Random Plant 'Cabomba' (anyone know what it might be) with Tetras

The Discus, the right side with the black fluorite is pretty much where he stays mainly towards back side near the Java ferns.

One of my Amanos

They're still quite shy and hide from people so couldn't get any good shots of the fish, will try when they come out more.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Hex
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfshrimp View Post
Are you trying to breed the shrimp?
Originally when they were in the 10 gallon I was kind of hoping to, but now in the 29G I doubt it, since the tetras will most likely eat the babies. They're mainly clean up crew now.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 06:12 AM
nel
Planted Member

Well it is a huge mistake to own discus in such a small tank and even bigger - to own just one. If you don't want to starve him, give him some frozen food or pellets at least, mostly they won't eat flakes (and mostly flakes are messy).
Without the discus it looks like a good start :-)
fietsenrex and Opare like this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Is your substrate black gravel and sand? How are you planning to keep the sand separate from the gravel?

This is what I read 1 did -
Polymer clay, SculpyIII oven bake clay. Shaping the black polymer clay, and taking it out of the tank, this was tricky, for it was soft and long. Thus de-shaped, so I traced the path on parchment paper and then take the clay out and follow the tracing on the patchment paper, this took me quite some time. Baked at 275 degrees F for 20 minutes and let cool. As it cools it hardens.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Hex
Algae Grower

Alright time for a quick update:
So All the fishes are doing well, discus has started moving around the tank, though occasionally he hides near the java fern when he is spooked(like when i was doing a water change yesterday)

Feeding sees to be a bit of an issue not with the discus though. He eats flakes fine and brine shrimp, the issue is since i'm suppose to feed him multiple times the tetras seem to be eating a lot of it so i'm worried that they might get too bloated. Also about beef heart ive read in some places that tetras don't have the stomach for it plus its really messy. One my LFS sells live black worms would that be okay, is live better or should i go with frozen?

On a side note I've read discus need crystal clean water does that mean the ammonia,nitrites,nitrates, etc. or does that also mean like clear water. My PH is around 7.5 and my GH is high to so im thinking of adding peat moss to my filter since I don't wanna use chemicals and stuff to lower it, but that would make my tank tea colorish would that be okay for the discus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Is your substrate black gravel and sand? How are you planning to keep the sand separate from the gravel?

This is what I read 1 did -
Polymer clay, SculpyIII oven bake clay. Shaping the black polymer clay, and taking it out of the tank, this was tricky, for it was soft and long. Thus de-shaped, so I traced the path on parchment paper and then take the clay out and follow the tracing on the patchment paper, this took me quite some time. Baked at 275 degrees F for 20 minutes and let cool. As it cools it hardens.
Wow thanks for the tip, yup its the gravel type fluorite. I put bunch a bunch of 1/2"-1" pebbles to seperate the two and covered them on top with sand hope fully that works. But just in case ill try the clay technique do you think i should keep it leveled with the substrate or would it be better to make it a bit taller kind of like a sandbox.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Discus need water that is as close to perfect as possible. Absolutely zero ammonia and nitrites, 0-5 (if that) nitrates. You should be doing daily water changes. The tea color won't hurt him, but since you'd be doing huge water changes, you'd either be making the water chemistry fluctuate rapidly or doing nothing at all. Steadily hard water is better than water of fluctuating hardness.
Brine shrimp are NOT at all nutritious. He's already showing signs of stunting, you need to get him on a very high-quality diet as soon as possible. Live blackworms would be great, yes.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=679553
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex View Post
Wow thanks for the tip, yup its the gravel type fluorite. I put bunch a bunch of 1/2"-1" pebbles to seperate the two and covered them on top with sand hope fully that works. But just in case ill try the clay technique do you think i should keep it leveled with the substrate or would it be better to make it a bit taller kind of like a sandbox.
Here is the thread it was used in.
Hex likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That discus really does need a larger tank and should not be housed singly.
fietsenrex likes this.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Hex
Algae Grower

Good news!!
I was able to return the discus back to the store hopefully he lives a healthy life and picked a bunch of assorted plants on sale, no clue what they are.... Will post some pics for help with Identifying them.

Now that the discus is gone I can of get some new fishes I was thinking rummy nose tetras or harlequin rasboras aroun 6-8. Any ideas on what might be a good addition?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
TaylorTurner likes this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 07:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would suggest more Neon Tetras. Larger schools are more impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fietsenrex and TaylorTurner like this.

Remember all caps when you spell the man's name
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Planted Member

yes more neons, otherwise the tank may look to start messy

I might be dutch but I don't have a dutch scape.

the tank
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Hex
Algae Grower

Hm I kind of like the idea of more neons but my grandma keeps bugging me to get some other/bigger fish ( plus my entire family finds it weird that I have shrimp in my tank 😥 and I spend $3 on each rcs) . I might add 5 more neons got any ideas what else might be good match for the tank.. My lfs did get some cockatoo cichlids how about them?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Don't let your family make you feel weird about the shrimp, I really like your start. The Cockatoo's wood be fine, but would eat your rcs for sure. Definitely get a few more neons though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode