Shadow's 32g ADA rimless tank "Passion" update:5/9 it's nice to be back to the tpt! - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 630 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks hydro. l didn't know either until l started exploring the website and well l saw it and i knew i had to have it. They had a vast selection of stumps similar to craigthor's riparium but l wanted some with a bit more character rather than just any ordinary tree stump. When l saw this piece l saw options and well l'm a man who likes to make my options available. l think the hardest part will have to be the positioning of the stump since it'll be fairly large when put inside the tank. l don't want to trim it with let's say a saw saw because then it'll look unnatural and take away from the look. l guess i'll have to figure it out when l get it.

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 630 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well just ordered the tank at gla. Now the fun part, counting down the days till i receive it : / [2-5 days] . l guess in the meantime l'll order all the rest of the equipment. here is a shot of some of my equipment. l won't be getting my g3 for another week or 2 as it isn't the cheapest thing in the world.

looks like a mini warehouse doesn't it?

my heater:

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #18 of 630 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Damn .... i cant wait.

My 120 Gallon Shrimp Tank Rebuild finally started!!

New Journal:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...20-gallon.html

Old Journal:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...en-down-4.html

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #461
Two 2217s and 2215.
post #19 of 630 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Planted Member

Awesome spread. Looking forward to seeing this come together.

6g Fluval Edge journal
45g ADA 90p (early days)
2g Do!Aqua cube (unplanted for now)

Edge Tuning: 26W lighting conversion - concealed pressurized CO2 - HOB CO2 injection - nano HOB heater - lunar lights
post #20 of 630 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks guys, Either today or tommorow i'm supposed to get the manzanita wood so hopefully l can have an idea of how l plan to position it.

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"

post #21 of 630 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

update 3/17/2010

Ok so l got lucky and got my manzanita today. l took a few pictures check em out and let me know what ya'll think. One more thing when i got it there were some broken branches off so i put some black zip ties to hold then together. If your wondering about the look inside the aquarium don't worry l plan to put mosses to cover it up .

left side view

left side at an angle

middle view (most likely how it's gonna be placed in the tank)

right side view

Just a couple more days for the tank to arrive . l better start buying the substrate, hopefully the ada nile sand with some amazonia ll will bring out the naturalistic look l hope to accomplish.

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"

post #22 of 630 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

gorgeous!

My 120 Gallon Shrimp Tank Rebuild finally started!!

New Journal:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...20-gallon.html

Old Journal:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...en-down-4.html

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #461
Two 2217s and 2215.
post #23 of 630 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yup that's what l said, l'm thinking about removing that string like piece of manzanita around picture 3 but l can always make it work in my favor. l just don't want it to be some sort of distraction for my focal point.

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"

post #24 of 630 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 01:06 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by !shadow! View Post
Yup that's what l said, l'm thinking about removing that string like piece of manzanita around picture 3 but l can always make it work in my favor. l just don't want it to be some sort of distraction for my focal point.
It will be extremely easy to remove, I would wait until the tank is set up and the scape is well on its way. As you said it could distract attention unfavorably, or it could lend a lot of character to an already interesting piece of wood. Doesn't hurt to wait and see, but you might later regret removing it prematurely.
post #25 of 630 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

l will take your advice as it is wise.

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"

post #26 of 630 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

post #27 of 630 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Damn straight it is. Just wait till i put it to work! oh and it's NOT a log it's a piece of art :P

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"

post #28 of 630 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That thing is perfect.
post #29 of 630 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks again hydro. lt's a nice piece indeed but more like overwhelming. l wonder what mr amano would do hehe. l plan on ordering some more branches and maybe zip typing them to the already existing ones or maybe lay then behind the stump to create some depth in the tank.

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"

post #30 of 630 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Update 3/18/2010

The plants i'm certain l plan to put are anubias barteri 'petite' and lace java fern so if anybody has some i'd be willing to buy them off of you just send me a pm. Anyways, l went shopping BIG TIME at home depot and to my Lfs aquatek and picked out some nice pieces of manzanita along with some mexican beach pebbles and the selection was awesome! l got a wide variety of sizes. l decided l was gonna go with some caribsea rio grande as a first layer to deliver oxygen to the plant roots since sand tends to compact over time, then add ada soil ll caped with ada nile sand. Then l stopped by at home depot and picked up the best 2ft X4Ft pine panel (basically a 3/4 piece of plywood but 10x better quality and sanded. since i'm current stand only measures 16' l was gonna cut the piece of pine 18 wide which is the width of the 48g so it would better accomodate and support the entire tank. l also bought a ada knock off mat for 6$ for those of you who are curious and would want to check it out next time you visit HD it's called "Con-Tact brand Grip Superior liner" and l found it in the window section if i remember correctly. By the way it's non adhesive/washable/ and durable from what it said on the sticker. Here are some pictures enjoy!

lace java moss:

still deciding on this fern and blyxa japonica

Anubias barteri 'Petite' for sure! how can you say no to that?

So far those are the plants for now l will update when l decide on the rest.. here are the pictures for the substrate and other hardscape materials:

my mat:

mexican beach pebbles:

pics of manzanita branches:

substrates:

pics of my 40g before l tear it down i'm gonna really miss this tank. lt's been up and running for almost a year. One of my best successful tanks that i've gone through alot of problems with algae, bga, gda, black brush algae, green string algae and etc... and won em all without tearing the tank down.

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode