A Beginning with my 75 - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A Beginning with my 75

hello-

My first post here, so, please be patient with the mistakes I am sure to make!
I have kept tanks since I was 10, culminating in a 125 gallon reef. Then, tragedy struck, and we had 4 children.So, there went to 125. Fast forward 20 years. Kids moving out (one left!), ex-wife moved out, and I find myself with some time which I havent had for years. I obtained a 75 gallon tank from Craigs List and build a stand for it. I painted the rear of the tank with flat black paint, so I wouldnt have to look at as much piping, walls, cords, etc....I know, I know, lost the corner of the room, but I want it in the living room such that I can enjoy it, and it was the only place it would fit!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	628409  

randym likes this.

Last edited by Lousyweather; 05-06-2016 at 02:57 AM. Reason: messed up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Now, here we are, looking at the top. There are two Eheim 2217 intakes with sponges, the two spraybars facing toward the front glass, and for extra circulation, two Kroalia Nano 240's. None of these locations are set in stone...I will quite possibly change locations when water is inside and I see what kind of circulation I have.
The light is an Ecoxotic 120 LED unit.....hopefully enough light. I will eventually does ferts via a liquid EI method (ferts from NilocG)...you can see the tubongholder in the rear of the tank (barely). I had to modify the holder to fit well on the rear, allowing the liquid fert is fall into the tank. I want to avoid a siphon effect should something go wrong there! Will dose with a Jebao DP-4 pump.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	628417  

Last edited by Lousyweather; 05-06-2016 at 03:04 AM. Reason: pic
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice job! Always glad to see a returning hobbyist. I will say that dry fert dosing is better for the long run price wise. Nilocg is the go to guy though. I've had great success with his/her (I don't recall) liquid ferts. I'm lost on the light, but all you can do is give it a shot and up it if it isn't enough (additional lighting). The rest looks solid. The two circulatory pumps may be overkill, but to each their own! Just remember that reef tanks and planted tanks share some things but differ greatly. Planted tanks are like the Honda civic of the fish community while the reef tank is like a Saab. One is a heck of a lot more complicated, but they share a lot in common.

If you need anything, quote me, tag me, PM me, etc. I'll fill you in wherever I can, if you need it!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok, so, now below the tank. Please excuse the mess, its not arranged and running yet. Here you see the two 2217's- they have the standard media, plus each 2217 has 2 bags of Purigen. The left 2217 push water by the pH probe (not installed into the T yet) and into the CO2 reactor, then up to the top via the left spraybar. The right 2217 will simply be filtration/circulation. There is quite alot of tubing you cant see there. I have a manifold in the back, which allows me to pump water up from the basement mixing tank (45 gallon plastic trash barrel), with the twist of a valve rather than carrying buckets. The tank is a 20 pounder, the controller being an electionic one from Aquarium Plants....I added another solenoid as well to be controlled by the pH controller...redundant, I know! There is a check valve there as well, just prior to where the CO2 enters the reactor. The controller will control both the electronic regulator and the solenoid....just not sure of the settings yet. The clear boxes to the rear are for ferts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	628425  

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Now, Ive checked my water....from the tap, after runnng it for awhile (copper pipes):

pH 6.7-6.8 (API test kit....havent used probe yet)
dKH 4
dGH 5
TDS 57 ppm
Cu about 0, (the dang test kit only goes down to .25ppm, and its less than that)
(I also have RODI water available, just want to avoid it)
My plan here is to add a bit of Seachem alkaline buffer into my mixing tank downstairs to give the water a bit of a nudge in pH prior to me lowering the pH with my CO2, and also to give the water a bit more buffering capacity. Ive got a heater in the mixing tank as well, with some old powerheads, so, in my perfect world, once the mix is done, I can just pump it upstairs to the tank. Using an inline heater for the tank itself, after the right hand 2217 (cant see it in the pic).

I managed to get some Ecocomplete cheap, will be using that (have 140 lbs). I havent started the tank yet, as I have been leeching 3 pieces of Mopani for a month now, changing the water every other day. I am coming to the conclusion that they will forever leech tannins. Cant boil them...too big. The aquascape? No idea yet. One pice of mopani at about 1/3, the other two at 2/3? Have to try it first, see what it looks like!

As for fish, inverts, plants...I will start the tank with nothing, get parameters straight first. Then, shortly thereafter, add plants. Looking at: Ceratopteris thalictroides, Ludwigia repens, Staurogyne repens, Crypt balansae, Prosperinaca palustris, Java Fern, HC, Alternathera reinecki, and Monoselenium tenerum for plants. Eventually, once cycled, adding Otos, Pygmy Cories, Nerites, and hopefully Cherry shrimp. Have to take my time with this though. If the shrimp establish themselves and I can get a breeding colony, then I would love to add Celestial Pearl Danios (my uncle, an Endler breeder, wants me to use Endlers). I know they wil llikely eat baby shrimp (Endlers AND CPD's), but hopefully I have enough plants to allow the young uns a place to hide! Im avoiding the Endlers as I dont want zillions of fry polluting my tank.

I will start fertilizing as soon as I add plants, with a starting photoperiod of 6-7 hours.

Here's the part where you folks who know ALOT more than me come in! If I am messing up, let me know! I usually learn the hard way, but would love to benefit from other peoples' failures before I make some of my own! Do I have screwy ideas for plants? let me know! Am I crazy for the fish and inverts I have chosen? let me know!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
Nice job! Always glad to see a returning hobbyist. I will say that dry fert dosing is better for the long run price wise. Nilocg is the go to guy though. I've had great success with his/her (I don't recall) liquid ferts. I'm lost on the light, but all you can do is give it a shot and up it if it isn't enough (additional lighting). The rest looks solid. The two circulatory pumps may be overkill, but to each their own! Just remember that reef tanks and planted tanks share some things but differ greatly. Planted tanks are like the Honda civic of the fish community while the reef tank is like a Saab. One is a heck of a lot more complicated, but they share a lot in common.

If you need anything, quote me, tag me, PM me, etc. I'll fill you in wherever I can, if you need it!

Thank you so much! I got a pretty good deal on the 240's and felt maybe two of them would give me more options than 1 bigger one!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 03:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

A Beginning with my 75

Welcome to the forum! Looks like everything is off to a good start. CPD's will be fine with shrimp especially in a tank that big the population should continue to grow. Like Freeman, I'm also not too sure on how the light is, and if the flows too much you can just take it out. Can't wait to see this planted! By the way I don't think you would have to mess with your tap water to be honest, it has pretty good parameters, even if it's lowered CPD's like acidic water, and RCS can deal with it. I think the driftwood will eventually stop leeching tannins just gotta be patient I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Welcome to the forum! Looks like everything is off to a good start. CPD's will be fine with shrimp especially in a tank that big the population should continue to grow. Like Freeman, I'm also not too sure on how the light is, and if the flows too much you can just take it out. Can't wait to see this planted! By the way I don't think you would have to mess with your tap water to be honest, it has pretty good parameters, even if it's lowered CPD's like acidic water, and RCS can deal with it. I think the driftwood will eventually stop leeching tannins just gotta be patient I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Opare! I am hopefully optimistic based on what yourself and Freeman say....now, if I can only avoid becoming the proud owner of an algae-only tank, I should be good!
Opare likes this.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 10:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousyweather View Post
Thanks, Opare! I am hopefully optimistic based on what yourself and Freeman say....now, if I can only avoid becoming the proud owner of an algae-only tank, I should be good!
I think it's a worry everyone has. As long as you have control of all the variables (especially light and CO2) algae shouldn't be an issue. The start-up of a new tank is the most exciting, but stressful as well cus you have to find the balance for your tank and let everything mature.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Start the light out on a very low setting or photo period, 4-6 hours. Start with non-demanding plants. Do your month long fishless cycle. After that you should have an idea where you light stands. You can fiddle with your CO2 at this time, but remember that you will need to keep an eye on your fish after adding them to see if you have too high of a concentration of CO2.
Opare likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I actually like where you tank is setup. Then you have the whole back corner to hide your supplies, filters, buckets, ect. If you want better circulation with out the need for the powerhead look at the 75g in my sig. They way I have my filter pipes on the ends makes a vortex in the center causing old water to get sucked straight to the intaks.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 12:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Look's to be a very good start to me.
Plant heavily.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's the rub.... Plant heavily. The thing is, I just have no idea how everything is going to work out until AFTER I get the plants, mail-order. There are very few LFS around here, and those which are within 35 miles are pretty much just fish stores.... They don't seem to care much for plants. I stopped at the largest one a while back asking about shrimp, CPDs, etc, and basically got the feeling that if they didn't have it, they were not interested.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok, stop laughing and shaking your head in dismay at my lack of aquascaping expertise! Here are 2 pieces of Mopani on the left, and one on the right. Somewhat of a cave effect here, as I would like to create caves and hiding places for shrimp, etc......the plan being that I will try to get something to grow on the Mopani (moss, java ferns, etc) to further close up the cave somewhat, and make it appear to be an ominous weedy entrance, giving the possibility of saving baby shrimp, fry, etc from the more free-swimming adults. I think possibly the cave is too large, but wanted some fair water circulation inside as well. There is a fair bit of room behind the left Pile O' Mopani to plant taller plants, although i wouldnt be averse to pushing the mopani back more on the left.

No need to sugar coat the fact that I have very little, to any aquascaping experience, but please, ideas? Thats 140 lbs of Ecocomplete.....hopefully, when I get the placement correct, I will add water, start pumps, start pH meter, looks for leaks, watch the water cloud, etc....then, off to ordering plants in the above post....just no idea how many!

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	628561

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	628569

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	628577

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	628585
Seetide likes this.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 01:12 PM
Algae Grower

I really like that wood, more ideas for future stuff. I think the two pieces making a gave look good, maybe try standing the other piece up to get a little more height? It might show off the burls and design of the wood better too.
Opare and Lousyweather like this.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just a couple of thoughts . There's a triangular area behind the tank that's sort of a void . Do you have access to that space? Maybe via the back of the stand . Somewhere down the line something's gonna fall back there that you'll want to get out. Have you considered spraying your inlet/outlet plumbing black so it blends in to the background more?
Lastly , like @roadmaster said , plant heavily as you can from the start . Check the for sale listings here , I've got some real good stock off the listings.
Lousyweather likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode