After a 23 year hiatus I decided to come back to fishkeeping. I have a few tanks. A fresh 10g up and running, 20g Meta-frame, used 43g breeder with 3 holes already drilled into it.
I started the 10gallon 6 weeks ago and even though it was really cool (low 60's) it still cycled in about 4 weeks. Eco-complete, moneywort and narrow red ludwigia and something else which I stiill need to get the name of. And it also has a bunch of WCMM swimming in it. I was doing this in anticipation of moving it all into my 20g.
Now I have a little delay.
I found this Metaframe "value-line" with a slate bottom at the curb at least 25 or so years ago. I used it for fish and later a bullfrog tadpole before I shelved it. Well, I filled it up yesterday and today there was about a 1/2 tablespoon of water that had dripped from the bottom. Not too bad. Before I found it "way back when", somebody had siliconed it. So now there is a small leak on the bottom. I need to trace it out. I did alot of reading on these old tanks so I shouldnt have a problem dealing with it. In the meantime I figured I might as well get the thread going.
I had a 30 gallon "fish only" saltwater setup until one summer heatwave occured and I couldn't keep it cool enough and I lost it. At the time a UG filter with a powerhead was the hot ticket with an primitive airstone
protein skimmer. Back then you only had to let your tap water stand a few days. And use 4-5 times the amount of the chlorine remover. Now I am told that I should wait two weeks
I had a great Jack Dempsey for many years with Kuhli loaches in the tank that he could never catch.
Everything else was pretty much standard freshwater tropical tank.