Couple of tanks -Vincent - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So... today, I SAW SOME BABY CORIES SWIMMING AROUND IN MY NEW TANK, I'M SO HAPPY!!! I think I'm just going to leave them in the tank, and see if any survive, because I don't really have another tank that can house them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Are you sure that's glosso? It looks more like HC or HM.
https://www.aquascapeonline.com/Prod...by_Tears_1.jpg
post #33 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterman View Post
Are you sure that's glosso? It looks more like HC or HM.
https://www.aquascapeonline.com/Prod...by_Tears_1.jpg
Yeah, when I got it, I wasn't sure what it was, it might be the one in the picture, because when I got it, it was really long, but it was floating around in the tank, so I cut it up and planted it, I hope it's HC not HM.
post #34 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Grats on ze baby corys! Best of luck to you to raise em.
Your pal,
post #35 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok, update, my friend got two Balloon Rams, the store had them under a different name, but they only have them like once a year, so she was really excited, so I offered to hold them for a week or so. I'm not sure, but I think I may end up keeping them, because my friend made kind of an impulse buy. I have had so much algae grow in the tank since the last week, not sure what kind. I still really want Pygmy Cories, but I'm not sure if I can with the two Rams (which I believe are male and female, the male always follows the female around). Extremely bad pictures are below.

A lot of algae as you can see.

The fish! They seem to enjoy Hikari Sinking Wafers and frozen bloodworms.

Whole tank.

Yeah, so I need advice on what to do with the algae, I believe the algae was caused by the 14 hours of light I had going before I put the fish in. I'm putting the nutrients every few days. Yeah so, until next week!
post #36 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

That's definitely HM and not HC or Glosso. I know as I had a giant bush of the stuff. It is an easy to grow plant that grows quickly, and since it grows quickly, it gets minimal algae. It can get pretty tall (~5") so just trim it when it does so. Regular trimming should also promote more horizontal growth.

As for the algae, yes 14 hours is way too much. Looks like you could use some Nerites.
post #37 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

holy algae batman! nice growth though, the HM is doing work! I cant wait to get my HM shipment this weekend
post #38 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, and I took the picture AFTER I cleaned the front glass, it's now down to 10 hours a day now, and yeah, I may need to get some kind of algae eater sometime soon.
post #39 of 129 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok, so, one of the rams is now at my friend's, I guess she changed her mind, but it's ok, I still have one, also, I ordered some 20 RCS from epicfish, so hopefully they should be here soon, however, I read stories of rams going to town on RCS, but these rams are itty bitty, so I'm not sure, thoughts anyone?
post #40 of 129 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

the rams, when grown, will almost certainly make snacks of baby shrimp. THey'll probably pick on the adults as well. Maybe they wont' eat them, but they won't let them be comfortable. Especially in a ten gallon.
post #41 of 129 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It's already fully grown, will it still be a problem?
post #42 of 129 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Just received my shrimp from epicfish, (thanks again), and I put them into the tank, immediately, the ram started going after them, so I just went ahead and moved it to my 20 gallon. The shrimp were an amazing deal, much better than the $3 each at my LFS.

Just some pictures of these fine shrimp

and the shot of the tank, not much has changed, there's still a bunch of algae, but the growth of new algae has slowed a lot. I took out the algae scraper because it was scratching the glass.
post #43 of 129 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Algae Grower

Oh my

That is a lot of algae, and your calmness about it makes me think i am OCD ( which i might be ) about algae. I just got some Flourish excel because i've been reading it helps fight algae and gives the plants good organic CO2. we'll see.

Empty 20 gal long ready to come to life
post #44 of 129 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrparker View Post
That is a lot of algae, and your calmness about it makes me think i am OCD ( which i might be ) about algae. I just got some Flourish excel because i've been reading it helps fight algae and gives the plants good organic CO2. we'll see.
Haha, I guess I'm so calm because I've dealt with worse, (full outbreak of BGA) and know that this is nothing compared to it, so I'm just going to give it time.
post #45 of 129 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So, in a few hours, I may be going to a far away fish store to get some fish, I'm deciding between two types (may get both), one are CPDs, if they have them in stock, and the other are Pygmy Cories, which they always have in stock. So, my question is, will Pygmy Cories both shrimp/baby shrimp? I've heard they will and they won't with CPDs, or should I wait and let my shrimp colony grow a bit?

Decided against it, just going to get some otos.

Last edited by VincentK; 04-07-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode