The Planted Tank Forum banner

55 gallon learning tank

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  TooPoorForThis 
#1 ·
Hello- I purchased a tank a few months ago that had an anubias, a large sword with a few small ones on a runner, some nice driftwood pieces, and some penny wort. It also had a ton of java moss that was just floating around everywhere so I took it all out. Then before researching anything I went at picked up an ozelot and a red sword, along with a couple lace java ferns. I just replaced the 4 t12's with a satellite led +. Much nicer light, and the plants seem to be reaching for the light instead of looking as droopy. The swords from the runner I have kept in there just to have something for the time being. The red sword still seems to be holding on, it has new growth it just is not growing tall yet and after research I am not sure if it will thrive in my tank. The ozelot seem to be quite happy and I really like it. The java ferns I am not too sure about, but I don't know if I am undecided about the plant or just the placement. I am thinking about moving the driftwood around some and getting some more anubias for them. Also some stems or other background plants would be a good addition, as I would like something else besides the small swords and there will not be room once they grow. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
I started dosing with Excel about a month ago because the tank had a huge BBA outbreak. That was when I started using this forum and getting some ideas. The forum has been extremely helpful with ideas and knowledge, but also made me realize my tank could use a lot of help and there is definitely a lot to learn.

Equipment-
55 gallon
48" satellite led +
eco complete substrate (probably should add more)
3 pieces of driftwood, spiderwood? holding the penny wort
fluval 305

Fish-
1 discus (pigeon blood?)
8 rummy nose
9 cardinals
6 red phantom
2 corey (Swartz's?, debating getting a few more or angelicus botias instead, I love those guys, just not sure if I have the flow they like)
1 pleco

Plants-
penny wort
amazon sword
indian red sword
ozelot sword
lace java fern
anubias (nana?, really would like to get more and different types, there is a bunch of driftwood they would look good on)
View attachment 626129

Water Plant Green Wood Pet supply

Plant Water Pet supply Botany Terrestrial plant

Water Green Terrestrial plant Organism Plant

Plant Houseplant Organism Rectangle Pet supply

Water Plant Pet supply Wood Organism

Its a start and things seem to be growing instead of melting so far so that is a nice plus.:smile2:

See less See more
#2 ·
I did a little rearranging today. The spider wood was removed, and a couple of the DW pieces were moved around. I put the java fern higher up and like the placement much better. A few plants were also added- crypt wendtii and crypt undulata. The new layout looks much better to me. Some ideas for the bare driftwood and the branch up high would be good.

Attachments

#6 ·
After rearranging the tank I noticed a couple spots of a few of the rummynose fins. I added a little salt, increased the temp to 86, and turned out the lights. I guess I didn't have the water level low enough for proper aeration, and woke up in the morning to find the discus and a rummy dead, and everyone else at the top gasping like crazy. I lowered the water level, and everyone's activity has returned to normal, although I think the red phantoms may have more spots than they did before. I am also using some herbtana to try and combat the ich.

#7 ·
Most of the plants survived the excess heat. I only lost a sword and the pennywort was looking horrible. I am trying some vals in place of the pennywort, I like the look of them much better. I also added another red crypt to replace the sword I lost and added a chain sword to see how it does. After looking at my older pics, it is nice to see all the other crypts and the ozelet sword are growing nicely.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.