Todd's 55g Planted Journal - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Picked up the last two bags of Eco Complete I needed tonight. Now I've gotta decide if I want to fill the tank or wait until all my plants arrive next week. I've got about a gallon of water in and the tank covered to keep the eco-complete wet. From what I've tried on the 5g at work it sure is much easier to stick 'em in the substrate before it's filled, but I want to test the filter setup beforehand.

Also finishing up construction on the DIY reactor. Co2 system probably won't make it until Monday or Tuesday. Talked to GLA today and they are shipping in the morning.

BTW: GREAT customer service so far from GLA. Emailed them today for the order status at 3:15 my time which is after hours (6:15pm EST) for them. Got an immediate reply back as well as a follow up phone call. Can't beat that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Filled the tank tonight to see how the bare scape would look. Brought home one dwarf hairgrass and hc from the office 5g tank that have been waiting. Rest of the plants won't be here till next week. Driftwood is just hanging around, I want to find a larger piece at the local store tommorow.

post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hooked up the 2217 filter tonight. Wow, it is amazingly quiet!

I also bought the grey addon set of intake/spraybar for the 2217 but am having problems with the intake side. It seems to be constantly sucking in air from somewhere. Doesn't make sense as out of the tank I can cover the intake hole and can't blow through the hose side. Also no leaks. But, each time I tried filling the hose, putting the cap on and turning the pump on I'd see the water level in the hose go half way down. Something is amiss. Switched back to the stock green J and it works fine. Will troubleshoot it more tomorrow.
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ordered my plants today.

Background:
Didiplis diandra
Ludwigia repens
Myriophyllum tuberculatum
Bacopa caroliniana

Mid:
Cryptocoryne wendtii red potted
Dwarf Sagittaria bunch 10
Blyxa japonica
Anubias nana
Anubias nana narrow leaf
Wisteria

Foreground:
Dwarf Hairgrass
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Still waiting on the plant delivery. Aquabotantics was out of stock on some so not shipping until Mondy 3/15.

Co2, Reactor and RKL are all hooked up and working. Photos of those to be posted soon.

Have the web module for the Reef Keeper Lite working..sample graph of today's pH. Tracking perfectly to Co2 timer. Just waiting for a bubble checker to arrive so I can see what pH value I should be targeting for the cutoff point. Right now I'm doing it strictly in sequence with the lights.

post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddg View Post
This is the controller I'm ordering.

I was originally going to go with the Neptune Systems Aquacontroller Jr but the DA unit looks like it's much more supported by the mfg with firmware updates and such. I almost passed on this unit as it didn't have any external outputs. However, with the latest firmware the computer interface module is now supported by the lite version. Yay! My main purpose for this is gathering the tank information to computer. I'm big into home automation and love to have things monitored for the geek factor.
Hey Todd you have a picture of this unit installed? How does it work looks sweet .
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

if i have one complaint is the rocks...i had them in my tank and with black gravel and they become such and eye sore...u tend to look at them to much and not the other stuff in the tank. unless those are your focal point in the tank....get them out and go with something more neutral. dark gray of the lace rock made a nice combo in my tank. they stand out but are not in your face.

"Twisted Wood" 75 gallon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEINEKEN357 View Post
Hey Todd you have a picture of this unit installed? How does it work looks sweet .
I'll try and get some undercabinet photos taken of all the modules. I mounted two of them up high out of the way (SL1 and Net). The PC4 power strips are on the back wall (photo below) and the Head unit is velcroed onto the door so I can check it as well as easily remove it for holding while I'm still getting all the programming configured.

PC4's and the Eheim 2217 filter:

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemman View Post
if i have one complaint is the rocks...i had them in my tank and with black gravel and they become such and eye sore...u tend to look at them to much and not the other stuff in the tank. unless those are your focal point in the tank....get them out and go with something more neutral. dark gray of the lace rock made a nice combo in my tank. they stand out but are not in your face.
I'll see how they end up when it's planted and has a bit of a lawn around it. I staged them at the 1/3 point so they could act as a bit of focal point based on the scaping forum.
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

GLA Co2 system and DIY Reactor installed. Just need to lace in the cords when everything is final tested for a few more days. Was originally going to clamp the reactor to the back wall with a 2" conduit clamp but it's sitting pretty stable without. Set on a cloth to make sure no issues with leaks from the tapped co2 barb.

post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

RKL Head Unit:

Net and SL1 Module:

post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

That's pretty sweet. I love all the high-tech toys you have. Do you buy those gadgets direct or through a distributor?
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley View Post
That's pretty sweet. I love all the high-tech toys you have. Do you buy those gadgets direct or through a distributor?
- Regulator & Co2 bottle purchased from Green Leaf Aquatics based on suggestions from other forum members.
- Reef Keeper Lite purchased directly from Digital Aquatics. MarineDepot doesn't stock the RKL with the Net module (yet at least) so I went direct to DA.
- Eheim 2217 from MarineDepot.com

What I'd still like to find is a high pressure inline digital/analog converter for the Co2 bottle. That way I could interface to the computer (through an Arduino or similar) and track the bottle pressure as well for trending / usage stats.
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looking good bro how is the co2 reactor working for you do you get any mist coming out the spray bar? Are you going to lower your ph to 6.8 I see your at 7.42. Btw I know a good place to full the co2 tanks for that 10# cost $13 and your in and out in 5mins.
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEINEKEN357 View Post
Looking good bro how is the co2 reactor working for you do you get any mist coming out the spray bar? Are you going to lower your ph to 6.8 I see your at 7.42. Btw I know a good place to full the co2 tanks for that 10# cost $13 and your in and out in 5mins.
Reactor seems to be working well. Some very fine bubbles coming out but not much. Will have more time this weekend to check on it. I am waiting on a drop checker to arrive so I can determine the optimal pH level to set. I set the bubble counter at ~1bps just to get some idea how it'd work. Yesterday the pH went from a peak of 7.77 to 7.33. Today looks like it's starting at 7.58. Just starting cycling so there might be some fluctuations during this time? Plant shipment got delayed until next Wednesday so just the single hairgrass in there now.

I've got a 5 lb bottle currently. Got it filled at SimplexGrinnel for $10.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode