Benon's 20 Gallon Tall (5-16-10) Time flies (56K) - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm officially a madman.

I'm pretty good with my hands, so I decided to delve into some SERIOUS trimming and de-rooting.

I did some hairgrass control and removed a piece of driftwood to expand my HC carpet on the right. I cut and replanted some, and removed some roots that just got a bit messy.

I've come to realize that the carpet is one thing, and weeds are another. I want to have an aquascape that is neat and clean in every way. I must say there is at least another two weeks of work to be done before this tank is looking the way I want it.

The challenge is coming up with an entirely new concept rather than copying an old one. I could easily go ahead and copy one of the more successful compositions, but I want something that's mine!

Alexxx :

Those mr. aquas look nice and have some interesting dimensions. I really love the longer tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Micromanagement

It's all about scale... I love ferns, and I love the way they look sitting next to plants with smaller leaves
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by benon View Post
it's all about scale... I love ferns, and i love the way they look sitting next to plants with smaller leaves
+1

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Gonna post another pic of my current tank. Sometimes I don't even click the main post

I feel pretty confident now with the way the foreground / carpet plants have been micromanaged. They will now grow as very easily trimmable patches. I hope to achieve more texture and shape with even smaller rocks with moss coverings.

I've seen branches with moss so finely trimmed that it is growing like little hairs (java moss). I hope to one day achieve that level of uniformity and bushiness.

I guess I'm collecting a bunch of different mosses and ferns at this point
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Orange
ridiculously good looking tank! Love the variety of plants and their placements
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Bolbitis...

I've been waiting for so long for my plants...

They've finally arrived!
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 05:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

Wow this tank had evolved greatly man. Just wait till that moss and bolbitis grow in much more, it's going to be a real jungle!

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks man! Looks a bit chaotic in there but it'll even out when the bolbitis take over!

I think I'm almost done with the tank now... hopefully I don't fall in love with some other plant to add into the mix... The obsession never stops...
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

new spot!

Was taking pictures and got a "full tank shot"

Also moved the tank to a new spot

post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

April 8, 2010 (Day 48) "Ferns are slooow..."

i THINK i see some growth in the ferns... Just trimmed a few leaves. This is making me wanna go pressurized. But I'll just be patient...
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 06:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

You suck l haven't even gotten my plants in yet and your rubbing the bolbitis in my face :P! l like the look tho you should test the tank out with a black background just to check out the look but don't get me wrong l like the no background look as well.

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"

post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

No background

Hey,

I been checking out your thread... WHERE ARE YOUR PLANTS?! It's been so long?

Black background : dying to try it out. I might tape up some construction paper in the back or something. But I feel like I'm cheating if I use the black background...

You know what that will cause me to do? To make another tank without a black background to see where I can go with it!
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

posted on my journal

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"

Last edited by !shadow!; 04-09-2010 at 06:37 AM. Reason: reason above
post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

April 26, 2010 (Day 66) "Ferns are faaast..."

I can definitely see some growth almost 3 weeks later. I can't wait to see the ferns entirely filling the top region. I don't know if I need to switch to pressurized. I think I will route 2 2-liters into a single gas-separation chamber and have it diffuse through a single powerhead (with attached reactor). I think with that setup I should have sufficient CO2. I've been playing around with the settings of diffusing DIY CO2, and found a powerhead is far superior to a simple stone. Though I think only one powerhead will be sufficient as long as there is an attached chamber to react the bubbles inside of.

I also began dosing with Brighty K (potassium) - This has proven to be a very positive ingredient in my tank and I will continue to dose this.
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Digital Send a message via Yahoo to Digital Send a message via Skype™ to Digital
Those ferns look really good in your setup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode