Benon's 20 Gallon Tall (5-16-10) Time flies (56K) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:10 AM
Algae Grower

wow I really like the piece of driftwood on the left side and the small trail you made between them. What fish are you thinking of adding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Right now

Right now there are four runny nose tetras. I may just end up running with a bunch of those.

(6 amano shrimp and 1 algae shark on cleanup)

I just noticed that EHEIM puts a fat logo on their intake tube. Real clever. Free advertising. Looks nice though. I'm really happy with this filter.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by benon View Post
Right now there are four runny nose tetras.
Give them tissues.

I have 5 rummy noses and am thinking about getting more for my 20high. I really like them. There were 7 but a huge killi female is in there...maybe she ate them.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

runny

Wow... i just noticed it is rummy...
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 06:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

The reason l asked what kind of substrates you were using it because i'm using the same exact stuff. Glad you were the guienie pig cause now l have a better idea of how it's going to look like in my tank . So far so good in the tank. l'd like to suggest adding some taller pieces of driftwood and attaching maybe some anubias, ferns, or moss and get the black ground covered up a bit. l think it would improve the look on the tank drastically.

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, I'm growing the hairgrass and hoping the red myrios start growing. I cut and replanted a few.

I want a java fern, but I don't really know where to put it.

Also definitely looking for some long and thin pieces of driftwood. Still haven't found the right shapes yet. Took me 3 weeks to finally settle on that gnarled piece though.

I think the moss definitely needs a trim. Would add a lot of definition.

Hate the background. I might go black... but I don't know yet. I notice that a lot of people black it out.

Nile sand is great. Sarawak sand also has a nice warm color to it. ADA stuff that I own : Various substrates, long scissors, long tweezers, 2 mini-M's. Anything "ADA" is just so expensive!

I was offered a cube-garden 60-H for $175 flat. I'm considering taking it. But honestly, the rimmed tanks don't bother me at all. Neither do the EHEIM filter pipes or 1 or 2 DIY CO2 tubes.

Last edited by benon; 05-02-2010 at 09:33 AM.
post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

black would go nice since you got the light look nile sand. i'm planning on going black myself. On the java fern, it depends on what type it is because some will rot away eventually in the subtrate and others grow specifically on rocks or driftwood so just do your research before you plant em. l would hate to see you waste your hard earned money.

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Definitely going to attach to driftwood... I've had experience with an attached piece on my previous 12-gallon nano. I've decided on going full-on jungle look. Just wanna do it slowly so that the tank has this interwoven and planned out, but colorful and chaotic look to it. This tank made me realize how satisfying it is to plan and continue each week to plan new steps to a tank. It was really enjoyable.

Next up for me is a 55-gallon riparium (going cheap-o aquarium masters on this one). I am pumped! Also about to buy another EHEIM 60-gallon for a clean $100 brand new. I love craigslist!

You ever seen these MR. Aquas? (I have a new room in my apartment called the "fish-tank" room so i'm going nuts)

I like the length of it... Many possibilities.
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 07:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

fulfill my dream for me in making that lengthy riparium

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"

post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just need to decide on a tank, with plants that break the surface. I don't want to use planters... Though that would make things easy.
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Dude lf l ever were to have a riparium that big i'd use like a cube 2x2 type of glass planter and silicone it to the top back piece of glass and now you got a clear planter stretching the entire length of the tank. That's just me tho.

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"

post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I could probably fit the Mr. Aqua into the back of the 55-gal.

On another note, I really love the eheim. It has changed my life. Water changes are quick and easy now. I think this is the best filter ever made for the price, hands down.
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So pumped

The tea-colored water has vanished.

I basically stripped down my zoomed 501 and cleaned it to like-new condition. Filled one entire chamber with carbon and placed it on one end of the tank to assist the eheim.

My water is now crystal clear! I think I will use this zoomed to clear up any of my future tanks. It's nice to have two of them now laying around!
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

new plants

Added 4 more rummy nose, and new plants. Amazing how the fish stick together.

I'm sure one of them remembers the other from the same tank at my "LFS".
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wish i had room for that 12 gallon, its so amazing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode