'tiger in my tank' JG's 10G - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 06:12 AM
Algae Grower

Now THAT looks awesome! Your eleocharis lawn really filled in good... it's a nice bright contrast for the darker rock work. I agree on the fissidens, that will work out much better for the location... can't wait to see how that fills in... too bad it's such a slow grower, don't want to have to wait that long! This should end up being a long-term sustainable and easy care tank.

Are you using one of those mini canisters for filtration? Let me know what you think of it, I've been looking at them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice progression! Good call with the fissidens, I really think it will look great.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks guys!

bb: With this much light and the CO2 cranked you'll be very surprised how fast a nice patch of fissidens will grow. Filtration is a used fluval 105 on this tank that I bought through the s&s here. I packed the last basket full with some very fine micro filtration pads to slow down the flow a little. Guess that explains the high water polish and clarity.

I'm just glad I got the OE blue tigers in for it. My wife was already asking what kind of fish I was going to put in there for her!
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Someone asked what type of light that is and I figured I'd pop it in here. Its a current 30" 2x24W t5ho. It hangs over on either edge but the bulb length is only 24" so it works out well and doesn't spill a ton of light around the tank.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I snapped a few pics this a.m. for an update.

The Rotala has grown back up and will take a few more heavy trims to get it to bush out more like I want. The staurogyne 'porto velho' is now the largest leaved plant in the tank and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it or try something with a similar growth pattern but smaller leaves.

Algae wise things are ok. I have some BBA tufts on the rocks now from a little co2 level bouncing that happened when I added a large foam filter to the intake. It should stabilize soon and I'll kill off whats there with some excel. If it keeps growing I might try to let it cover the face of the rock. :O
OEBTs are doing well and maturing. These are stock from DK via someone who bought them from her a while back. Still patiently waiting to see some berry action. I went a little crazy with the pics... these little buggers have by far become my favorite shrimps. The orange eyes just make them so alien looking. Here are some images of the tanks inhabitants.

The dark blues:
Saddles?
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very nice loking tank.

38gal. Tetras Forest.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ml#post1418057
10gal. Jungle Low Tech.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...pdate-6-a.html
10gal. Planted Aquarium, 38gal. Planted Aquarium.
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to A Hill
This is one of the best 10g scapes I've ever seen, great strong hardscape for sure. The plants are also placed very well to work with the stone. Great job.

Those OEBTs are quite striking as well.
-Andrew
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow those are some great looking rocks and perfect positioning. Really great looking carpet too. It looks freakin amazing.
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Wow thanks everyone!

Andrew the comment is much appreciated. Its nice to feel like I'm actually starting to learn scaping. Still a long ways to go.

Any thoughts on the 'porto velho' on the right leaves being too large? Trying to think what other smaller leaved clustering type semi-low growing plant I could put there if I did get rid of it.
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Starting to learn? Your tanks have been looking great for quite a while so I'd say you know what you're doing.

I like the porto velho as it lessens the blow of the heavily planted left side and helps keep the eye focused on the center of the tank rather than the left.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks dj. Much appreciated. I do have a tiny bit of P stellatus 'narrow leaf' (sp?) in the rear-middle but its not coming in as well as I'd hoped.
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow that's amazing! excellent job!
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I can't believe I have never seen this tank before! Just to echo what everyone else is saying, the hardscape is great and that carpet is perfect.

As for the porto velho, I really like it in here. I can tell that it is kinda falling over on ya, but if it ever straigtens up and reaches for the light, it will look great.

Like Andrew said, def one of the better 10gallon scapes I've seen. Subscribed for sure!
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Planted Member

Wow can't believe i missed this! great tank the carpet is gorgeous! Scape is really well done also!
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 01:52 AM
Planted Member

Beautiful tank!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode