Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank (Cooling the tank 4-29-2017) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 485Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 403 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwedfg View Post
I am thinking about going rainbows in my next tank. What do you feed them to keep them so healthy?

This tank is amazing!
Thanks for the nice compliment.

The staple food is New Life Spectrum Cichlid 1mm sinking pellets. Each day they also get some kind of mix of a freeze dried brine, mysis shrimp, blood worms, tubifex, Daphne,........spirulina Flake...frozen brine, frozen bloodworms....they will eat anything. Feed usually twice a day....morning and evening.

In general, Rainbows are always hungry, and I keep mine well fed. Remember, even well fed they still grow slowly.
Evilgrin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 403 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 09:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

THANK YOU for the AWESOME PICS Greggz!!!

I am a HUGE fan of Rainbows, and they are what I started my Planted Tank Adventure with in 2004!!! I believe there are some pics In my journal of my 55g still! I will look and if so and they are any good I will post you a link here so You can check them out! I got mine at about the same size, and they grew somewhat slowly, and I STILL KICK MY SELF IN THE ARSE for selling them and going with some other fish!!!!

I am actually thinking of taking apart my 55g and building a Custom Plywood Tank, and using the front and rear glass panes for the fronts on the Plywood tank, then cutting the bottom in half and using them for the ends!!! I already have a few gallons of epoxy that I was going to use for building my Dad a Wooden Boat, but He changed his mind! So now I have the PERFECT Epoxy, then all I would need is the Aquarium safe paint to coat the inside of the tank to seal everything, and I could make a tank whatever size (gallons) I wanted from 8' long x 2' deep x 20"H with the glass I would have. It is a All Glass Aquarium so it is made of all Plate glass and NO Tempered! If I am able to build the tank it will be for BOWS!!!!!

Anyway, sorry for the rambling and Hijack! LOL

Keep up the AWESOME WORK!!!!
Drew

p.s. You built you stand just like I learned how to in Cabinet Making in High School!!! Very Well Done!!! I forgot to mention it in my first post!!! I just wish I could afford to build all my stands like that still!!!

Thanks and Take Care,
Drew
------------------------------------------------------
Algae: the BANE of my Aquarium Life! It's ALL WAYS GROWING where I DON'T WANT IT TO, and NEVER where I NEED IT TOO!!!

Last edited by BoxxerBoyDrew; 03-25-2016 at 09:43 AM. Reason: added p.s.
post #18 of 403 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
p.s. You built you stand just like I learned how to in Cabinet Making in High School!!! Very Well Done!!! I forgot to mention it in my first post!!! I just wish I could afford to build all my stands like that still!!!
You have to figure the cost of the materials compared to what it would have cost to have someone build it in this fashion. Trust me I know I ended up SAVING lots of money.

But that wasn't really the point. I did it for the experience and the satisfaction of the accomplishment.

Your plans for your tank sound really interesting. Looks like a very involved project as well.

post #19 of 403 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 08:53 PM
Planted Member

Thanks for the educational pictures, they're great. I always felt like the information on this site for rainbows was lacking.

A journey into high tech, 55 gallon
Standard 55 gallon club... We need one of those.
post #20 of 403 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 10:28 PM
Algae Grower

Gorgeous fish and tank!
post #21 of 403 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishophile View Post
Thanks for the educational pictures, they're great. I always felt like the information on this site for rainbows was lacking.
As you might have noticed, I am a Rainbow fish enthusiast. I'd be happy to answer any questions on my experiences.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yondertank View Post
Gorgeous fish and tank!
Thank you!

Bump: So here is the run down on my equipment set up. I like seeing what other people use, so I hope it has interest to someone here.

Filtration: (2) Rena XP3 (Filstar L, 350gph). One on each end of tank. Output to spray bars angled up to create surface agitation. Heavy surface agitation creates well oxygenated water.

Circulation: (2) Hydor Koralia Evolution 600 circulation pumps. Rainbows love lots of water movement. Might add two more for even more circulation.

Heater: Hydor ETH 300 Watt Inline Heater. One less piece of equipment in the tank. Also use Hydor Hydroset Thermostat as failsafe against cooking my fish.

Co2: GLA PRO CO2 System, (2) 10lb Tanks. One always filled and ready.

Co2 reactor: Rena XP4 (Filstar XL, 450gph) I was going to build a reactor. As I looked at it more closely, it seemed the flow inside of a canister would do pretty much the same thing. I use only course sponge pads and Bio Balls (no fine filter floss). Basically a really free flowing XP4.

To spread co2 all around the tank, I split the inputs/outputs to have them in both corners. I used an inline diffusor to inject co2 into the intake tube on one side. I pulled out the actual diffuser, and just used the housing. Pic below should help illustrate.

Co2 bubble counter: I don’t use one. I use a Dwyer RMA-151-SSV Flow Meter instead. On a large tank, the bubble rate is so high, I don’t understand how anyone can measure it. I started a thread on this, which provides more details.

Must be something better than bubble counter thread:
Must be something better than bubble counter??

Co2 Drop Checker: Cal Aqua Pearl Drop Checker. I know it’s overpriced, but I liked the colored reference solution right in the unit. As it turns out, don’t really know if I need one at all. Would never rely on it as my only means of estimating co2, but like having it as a secondary visual indicator just to be safe.

Co2 control - American Marine Pinpoint PH Controller. I know many say it is not needed, but I ended up buying one for several reasons. First, I can keep my co2 flow rate a little higher, so I can bring down my ph more quickly. With a bigger tank, it can take a while to inject enough co2 into the tank. It is also somewhat of a failsafe, in that when the ph gets too low (co2 too high), it shuts off the c02 flow. It’s allowed me to more finely tune my ph/co2 levels. Just be sure to calibrate often. I calibrate every week during regular water change.

Water changes: Quiet One 4000 pump. I believe in regular large water changes. I do about 75% every week, or as low as I can go without the fish freaking out. I believe the easier you make this process, the more likely you will be to actually do it. And your fish will thank you. My sink is about 35’ away, so I put the pump in, pump out to laundry room sink, them refill from tap. I have the whole process down to less than an hour. The pump was a great investment. So much faster than a python.

Bump:
post #22 of 403 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 12:11 AM
Algae Grower

Been reading your build and I'm diggin' it. Starting a 125 rainbow fish tank myself. The LFS here in DC area has a 180 with lots of rainbows in it that have nice color, that was my main inspiration. Thought about going discus too but from what I've read the constant water changes might be too much for me to commit to. Keep it coming.

Cheers
Mike
post #23 of 403 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishrooster View Post
Been reading your build and I'm diggin' it. Starting a 125 rainbow fish tank myself. The LFS here in DC area has a 180 with lots of rainbows in it that have nice color, that was my main inspiration. Thought about going discus too but from what I've read the constant water changes might be too much for me to commit to. Keep it coming.

Cheers
Mike
Mike I've thought of going with Discus many times. After 35 years of fish keeping, I still don't know if I am qualified. Like you, constant water changes may be just a bit too much. Still, maybe some day.......

But for now, Rainbows are hardy, long lived, peaceful, colorful, and work well in a planted tank.

Back in the day, I kept a Mbuna tank. Beautiful colors there as well. As I got older, I didn't like the violence anymore. Rainbows will flash and spar, but Africans will out and out murder someone.

I look forward to following your build.
Cornishrooster likes this.
post #24 of 403 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Beautiful fish! What substrate are you using?

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #25 of 403 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
Beautiful fish! What substrate are you using?
That is Black Diamond Blasting Sand. Readily available, cheap, and easy to plant in. I couldn't be happier with it.

Before I went higher tech, I kept low tech plants for many, many years. I always used regular old pea gravel from Home Depot. For crypts and the like, no problem. When you start getting into more stems and smaller fore ground plants, pea gravel is difficult to plant in, and you end up damaging lots of plants just trying to get them rooted.

In comparison, the Black Diamond is just a pleasure to plant in, and I am really glad I made the switch.

I only just changed the substrate this past December. It was quite a process. I'll go over those details in another post.
post #26 of 403 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 01:09 AM
Planted Tanker

Like how you split the outlets on the canister filter. Never thought about doing that. It's given me some food for thought how to set mine up better, as Im currently in the process of upgrading a few things.

So...the XP handles CO2 directly without burping or anything? I'd love to be able to do that. Ive tried it on both a SunSun and a Fluval 304, with the CO2 pre-diffused using a chopstick. It caused both to burp pretty bad at regular intervals.

Ive seen where people used certain Eheims before but Ive never had one of those. Got a new Hydor on the way...may try it on that one and see.
post #27 of 403 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 01:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

I may be getting a 180 in the future, and my first choice was rainbows, and I want them even more after seeing your amazing fish. They just take SOOO long to mature and look the way yours do. Any species that look great and mature in a year or 2?
post #28 of 403 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Like how you split the outlets on the canister filter. Never thought about doing that. It's given me some food for thought how to set mine up better, as Im currently in the process of upgrading a few things.

So...the XP handles CO2 directly without burping or anything? I'd love to be able to do that. Ive tried it on both a SunSun and a Fluval 304, with the CO2 pre-diffused using a chopstick. It caused both to burp pretty bad at regular intervals.

Ive seen where people used certain Eheims before but Ive never had one of those. Got a new Hydor on the way...may try it on that one and see.
Yes, the split works out well. I have the outputs at each corner of the tank. My thought is that it should help disperse the co2 more evenly.

As to the XP, I only get burping when the filter needs to be cleaned (2+ months). I don't know if it's the slower flow rate, or if the clogs in the sponges aren't allowing for chopping up the bubbles?? All I know is it does have an effect.

To that end, I only keep course sponges and bio balls in the filter. Keep in mind I don't really care about it's filtering abilities, as I have two other XP's for that. It's really just a co2 reactor. I put some fine filter floss in it once, and it was burping right away. Put four sponges in once, and it burped about every half hour. For some reason three course sponges is just right.

Hope that helps. Like most things, took a little trial and error to sort it out.
post #29 of 403 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 02:46 AM
Planted Tanker

Good to know, thanks.

Re the split, I was thinking more about the return lines, having one in each corner. My tank is smaller than yours so flow is not as big of a hurdle. But having only one intake has always seemed...like it could be better
post #30 of 403 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
I may be getting a 180 in the future, and my first choice was rainbows, and I want them even more after seeing your amazing fish. They just take SOOO long to mature and look the way yours do. Any species that look great and mature in a year or 2?
All the ones I keep look great in a year. Even better in two. The thing is, they continue to mature, get richer in color, slowly grow, add mass, and change shape for many years after. But a nice group of coloring up one year old's is a beautiful site.

The faster growers are Melanotaenia trifasciata. My Running Creeks are by far the fastest growers I have kept. Melanotaenia Lacustris also get to decent size pretty quickly. The slowest growers are Melanotaenia Boesemani, they just take a long time.

I have some little guys right now I am growing out. It's fascinating to watch as they color up and mature, and I really enjoy the process.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Good to know, thanks.

Re the split, I was thinking more about the return lines, having one in each corner. My tank is smaller than yours so flow is not as big of a hurdle. But having only one intake has always seemed...like it could be better
I do recall it was no picnic finding those splitters. I wanted Y shape not T. If I recall, I found them on some boat parts site. If you decide to go this route and can't find them let me know. I'm sure I have a record of the purchase somewhere here.
burr740 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode