Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank (Cooling the tank 4-29-2017) - Page 14 - The Planted Tank Forum
 466Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #196 of 388 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If any of you followed the remodel of the fish room/den, then you know the point was to spend more time viewing and enjoying the tank. @Immortal1 called it my new “fish tv”.

Well, he’s kind of right. I thought I would share a video of how it looks from the new super comfy seats.

I actually removed quite a bit of plant matter with the move, and am kind of in the growing back out phase, but you get the idea.

So here’s two minutes lounging in the den. Hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by Greggz; 01-10-2017 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 388 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Who needs a tank when I can just watch your video? It is so much less maintenance this way.
johnson18 likes this.
post #198 of 388 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
Who needs a tank when I can just watch your video? It is so much less maintenance this way.
LOL, that's a good one.

And by the way, your tank is well on it's way, and will take less maintenance over time. Keep up with it and as it fills in it's going to be really, really nice.

post #199 of 388 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
LOL, that's a good one.

And by the way, your tank is well on it's way, and will take less maintenance over time. Keep up with it and as it fills in it's going to be really, really nice.
Thanks Greggz, I appreciate it. Just trying to stay patient (it's not easy).
post #200 of 388 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:40 AM
Mad Scientist

@Greggz love the fish tv reference. It's actually a phrase my wife uses. Recently she sent me this pic of our bearded dragon watching "fish tv". I definitely had to laugh.
As for your video, I am trying to figure out how to make it "loop", then play it on my TV which is next to my tank - now that would be a perfect evening :-)
Greggz, johnson18, burr740 and 2 others like this.
post #201 of 388 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just thought I would share a few random shots from the tank tonight.

Iíll start with some Rainbows (what a surprise!)

Here are a couple of young Boesemani Rainbow (Lake Aytingo)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boes Young 1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	713450

Name:	Boes young 2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	713458

And hereís an older one.

Name:	Boes Old.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	713442

The elusive Pygmaea Rainbow. Small and fast, very hard to photograph.

Name:	Pygmae.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	713514

A young Glossolepis dorityi. Red stripes are starting to come in nice now.

Name:	Doriti.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	713466

This is an Orange Albino Millennium Rainbow. Getting more red all the time.

Name:	Albino 1.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	713426

Name:	Albino 2.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	713434

The Melanotaenia Praecox Pagai. Hard to catch the shimmer they create.

Name:	Neon 1.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	713498

Name:	Neon 2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	713506

Now, I know I mostly concentrate on pics of Rainbows. But here are some other tank mates, equally as colorful.

Electric Blue Ram

Name:	Electric Blue.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	713474

Gold Nose Electric Blue Ram

Name:	Gold Nose Electric 1.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	713482

Name:	Gold Nose Electric 2.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	713490

And of course, what Rainbow tank is complete without Roseline Sharks. Funny with all the Rainbows I keep, when people see the tank for the first time, they always comment on the Roselines.

Name:	Roseline 1.jpg
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	713522

Name:	Roseline 2.jpg
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	713530
post #202 of 388 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 12:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great looking fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #203 of 388 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
Great looking fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. I was just looking at your thread with the photos. Really nice pictures there.

I'm sure others like me would like to see more of your tank, you should start a journal sometime.
post #204 of 388 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 11:44 PM
Planted Member

Great pics, as always, Gregg!

Question: I thought that blue rams needed acidic water...?

Tanks a bunch!

My current 120 tank journal: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...k-journal.html

Marcia
post #205 of 388 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks! View Post
Great pics, as always, Gregg!

Question: I thought that blue rams needed acidic water...?
Well, as usual, my advice would be not to worry about it too much. At least it has not been my experience.

I've kept Rams with Rainbows for years. I have found them to be pretty resilient, regardless of pH, temp, or other parameters. Actually very tough little buggers. I have a couple right now that are about 3 years old, which is pretty good for a Ram.

Keep in mind most of these fish are bred by people in whatever water comes out of their tap wherever they live. The Rams I get are bred locally. I think fish are more adaptable than most people think. In my experience, concentrate on the basics (you know, large water changes, good surface agitation, heavy filtration, etc.) and most fish will be just fine.
johnson18, Doogy262 and mbkemp like this.
post #206 of 388 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

really pretty fish! in my upcoming 75G I have decided that rather than going with larger rainbows, to go with smaller versions such as threadfins (possibly) or Forktail Blue Eyed rainbowfish.. smaller and very detailed!
post #207 of 388 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

@Greggz Where did you get your Praecox Pagai, my praecox were of crappy stock and all but 3 are dead. I am looking for a replacement.
post #208 of 388 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
really pretty fish! in my upcoming 75G I have decided that rather than going with larger rainbows, to go with smaller versions such as threadfins (possibly) or Forktail Blue Eyed rainbowfish.. smaller and very detailed!
I've never kept the smaller blue eyed species. Some of them are really striking, and I think a larger tank full of them would be beautiful. You just don't see large groups of them that often. Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
@Greggz Where did you get your Praecox Pagai, my praecox were of crappy stock and all but 3 are dead. I am looking for a replacement.
Yes, the LFS Praecox is a weak strain of fish. Always has been for many, many years.

I bought the Pagai variety through a breeder on aquabid. They don't come up too often.

I see you are in Naperville. I used to live there for about 15 years. Nice place to be. I know a local breeder near you. I will PM you with his information and a few others I would get in contact with. If they don't have them, they might know who does.
johnson18 and BettaBettas like this.
post #209 of 388 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was fortunate to be able to borrow a Par meter this week. My tank is somewhat tall, with lights well off the surface, and I always wondered what the actual Par values are. Well now I know so I thought I would share my results.

Frist here are the pertinent details. The tank is a 120 gallon, at 60” x 18” 26”. There are two fixtures, with total light being 4 X 54W, with 48” bulbs and good quality polished reflectors. The back and front bulbs are Zoo Med Ocean Sun 10,000K, center bulbs are Truelumen Fresh Flora red. All are about a month old.

So with a 60” tank, and 48” bulbs, I have 6” of tank on both sides with no light directly above. You would not really notice it all just looking at the tank, but I expected the Par would drop off quickly, which is why I focus on Crypts there.

Light fixtures are mounted up inside a canopy, so lights are about 10” from the water surface, and 30” from the top of substrate.

I put together charts to show the values at 10”, 19”, and 28” from the light.

A few things I found interesting. I expected a drop off in intensity as you move away from the center of the tank, which was true. What I wasn’t expecting was how much the drop off was at the ends of the tank. I expected it at the very end, as there no light directly above. But there is also a significant drop off in the last 1 foot or so of the bulb. Might have to consider going to 5' bulbs? At least it's food for thought.

I also found it interesting how quickly the light intensity fades from surface to substrate. I imagine if I re positioned my lights closer to the top of the water, it would increase the readings. May consider that as well.

So here are the readings. They were all taken at least three times. So am I high light, medium light, low light? I guess that depends on where in the tank you are measuring.

Name:	Par Values.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	718346

Last edited by Greggz; 03-19-2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typo
post #210 of 388 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 08:23 PM
Mad Scientist

From what I have read, I would put the central floor of your tank in the medium/high PAR level. The extreme ends of the tank would be more of a low to low/medium PAR.
What I found very interesting was the 32 par reading at each end, regardless of the depth. I would assume 32 is not the lowest reading for the meter so I do find that interesting.
Instead of buying a new 5' fixture and new bulbs, I wonder how effective it would be to add a small dome fixture at one end with a CFL bulb. Cheap enough to try out assuming you have the meter for a few more days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode