Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank (Cooling the tank 4-29-2017) - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum
 466Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 388 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

We don’t often talk about where our aquariums are located. Mine is in an office/den. My girls used to use that room quite often, with homework and projects and such. Now that they are in College, it’s just not getting much use at all.

So the wife and I decided to turn the room into more of a reading, music listening, and fish viewing relaxing environment. Think comfortable reclining furniture, large music collection, good quality sound system. In general a nice place to sit and enjoy an adult beverage or two, and spend more time enjoying the tank.

Part of that transformation will include tearing out the carpeting, and installing hardwood flooring. I’ve been avoiding doing this, as it means having to move the tank. Well, the time has come and the plan is in action.

I really don’t want to move the tank twice, so it’s going to end up on the opposite wall from where it is now. I’m going to start at that wall, and install the flooring right up to the tank. Then move the tank, and finish the rest of the room. Well, sounds easy, doesn't it! Believe me I know, moving the tank is an exhausting experience.

Here is a picture of the room now, already in some disarray, as the girls are emptying out the desk that they have used for years.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor full room.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	704098

And here it is with the carpeting gone.

Name:	Floor tank.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	704106

And here is full tank shot where it stands for now.

Name:	Floor Full Tank.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	704114

So wish me luck. Have a few days of back breaking work ahead of me.

Last edited by Greggz; 12-29-2016 at 01:21 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 388 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 01:17 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
We donít often talk about where out aquariums are located. Mine is in an office/den. My girls used to use that room quite often, with homework and projects and such. Now that they are in College, itís just not getting much use at all.

So the wife and I decided to turn the room into more of a reading, music listening, and fish viewing relaxing environment. Think comfortable reclining furniture, large music collection, good quality sound system. In general a nice place to sit and enjoy an adult beverage or two, and spend more time enjoying the tank.

Part of that transformation will include tearing out the carpeting, and installing hardwood flooring. Iíve been avoiding doing this, as it means having to move the tank. Well, the time has come and the plan is in action.

I really donít want to move the tank twice, so itís going to end up on the opposite wall from where it is now. Iím going to start at that wall, and install the flooring right up to the tank. Then move the tank, and finish the rest of the room. Well, sounds easy, doesn't it! Believe me I know, moving the tank is an exhausting experience.

Here is a picture of the room now, already in some disarray, as the girls are emptying out the desk that they have used for years.
Attachment 704098

And here it is with the carpeting gone.
Attachment 704106

And here is full tank shot where it stands for now.
Attachment 704114

So wish me luck. Have a few days of back breaking work ahead of me.
Good luck, I can't imagine moving my 75 gallon let alone one as big as yours.

It's funny, one of my kids accidently slid a Pokemon card under my stand. He was in tears because it was one of his favorite cards. I tried to get it out but was unsuccessful.

He asked me why we can't just move the tank, and I laughed and said you'll get your card if we ever decide to move out.

He's only 7 so he doesn't understand how heavy the tank is.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Milkman and BettaBettas like this.
post #153 of 388 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 01:18 AM
Algae Grower

I'll be interested to see how this goes, Greg. Our oak floors are going to need refinishing eventually, and I'm dreading having to move our 125 gallon tank in the living room, although I may take the opportunity to build a better looking stand than I have now (who am I kidding? I've never built anything more complicated than a cinderblock bookshelf - make that "have someone build"). How do you plan to move yours?

post #154 of 388 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye View Post
I'll be interested to see how this goes, Greg. Our oak floors are going to need refinishing eventually, and I'm dreading having to move our 125 gallon tank in the living room, although I may take the opportunity to build a better looking stand than I have now (who am I kidding? I've never built anything more complicated than a cinderblock bookshelf - make that "have someone build"). How do you plan to move yours?
Since you asked, here is the plan.

I'll start by removing the plants. I'll have a cooler filled with tank water, and will wrap each species in wet paper towels to keep them separated. Next the driftwood and rocks will go into another cooler.

I'm going to pump tank water into a spare 70 gallon that I have. If I didn't have the spare tank, I would pump the water into a bunch of 5 gallon buckets or even a plastic trash can. As I'm pumping the water out, I will be catching the fish and moving them over. Important: Cover whatever you are using to hold the fish in. Just caught fish in a container are very likely to jump. Trust me, I've picked some up off the floor bare hand a few times.

Once the fish are all caught (once again, easy to say....much trickier to do), I'll start removing the black diamond substrate. I've got lots of 5 gallon buckets, and will fill them as quickly as possible.

Next I'll remove the canopy and filters. Then it's go time. Move the tank and stand, and dump the substrate back in. Then I'll start pumping the water from the 70 back into the 120G. At the same time, I'll be pumping in fresh water as well, and netting the fish and moving them over.

Once the tank is full, I'll do a couple of water changes. As you can imagine, lots of gunk will be swirling around. Then I'll start the filters and let them run for a couple of hours. Once everything settles a bit and clears up, it's time to put the driftwood, rocks, and plants back in.

You need to monitor the water pretty closely for a short time. It's not unusual to see a small ammonia spike, so be ready for more water changes. Probably less than a week at worst.

Let me say this. I have done this before, so I am pretty confident it will all work out fine. However, I'd be lying if I didn't say that even with the best plans, there are always a few moments of panic when moving a large tank. It's to be expected, but somehow it all works out in the end.

And by the way, I built that stand I'm using now. It can be done, but does take some commitment and forethought, but very doable nonetheless.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliewoz View Post
Good luck, I can't imagine moving my 75 gallon let alone one as big as yours.

It's funny, one of my kids accidently slid a Pokemon card under my stand. He was in tears because it was one of his favorite cards. I tried to get it out but was unsuccessful.

He asked me why we can't just move the tank, and I laughed and said you'll get your card if we ever decide to move out.

He's only 7 so he doesn't understand how heavy the tank is.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
That's a funny story. Sorry for your son's pain, but I fully understand.

Believe me, I have been thinking this whole thing through very carefully. Making sure all the wiring, power, cables, etc. are exactly in the right place. Once this thing is moved, it's not going anywhere again until I move.

Bump:

Last edited by Greggz; 12-29-2016 at 02:24 AM. Reason: typo
post #155 of 388 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:07 AM
Mad Scientist

That sir does sound like a LOT of work! Your overall plans for the room sound great though so I definitely look forward to how this works out.
Sitting here looking at my 75g tank and thinking about the same process - I am thinking that pulling and re-planting plants might be the biggest challenge. Once the plants are out, catching the fish should not be challenging (catching fish in a heavily planted tank is nearly impossible in my opinion).
post #156 of 388 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
That sir does sound like a LOT of work! Your overall plans for the room sound great though so I definitely look forward to how this works out.
Sitting here looking at my 75g tank and thinking about the same process - I am thinking that pulling and re-planting plants might be the biggest challenge. Once the plants are out, catching the fish should not be challenging (catching fish in a heavily planted tank is nearly impossible in my opinion).
The pulling and replanting is really not that bad. I take a picture of the before, and just put everything pretty much back the same way. It takes a little time, but I enjoy planting so it's not that big of a deal.

And catching the fish with the plants out is much easier......but believe me, your heart rate will still go up, and you'll be in a kind of state of panic catching them all. I say that from personal experience. Rainbows are very, very fast when they don't want to be caught.

Linn, I know you like woodwork. This is a basic grunt job. Nothing fancy, just full on labor. I've already replaced the carpet with hardwood in the dining and living room, so I have a little experience at this.

This is the last room to make the whole first floor all hardwood. I'm looking forward to getting this done.....as I'm getting too old for this!!!
post #157 of 388 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:46 AM
Mad Scientist

LOL, I hear ya on getting too old for this! My house being a bit older I have been blessed with already having narrow board oak floors throughout the living room, stairs and upstairs bed rooms. All I had to do was remove the carpet, pad, staples, tac strips, etc. Then fill in the holes and re urathane everything. The body was not very happy with me but oh well. So, with that said I feel your pain with doing the complete install AND moving the tank. Advil may soon be your best friend :-)
post #158 of 388 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Best of luck Gregg, sounds like a lot of stress will be felt on your end even though you have a great plan. Looking forward to hearing about your success.
post #159 of 388 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Advil may soon be your best friend
LOL, you have no idea how true that is.

After I finished laying the hardwood in the dining room, I sat in an easy chair for a few hours decompressing. When I went to get up, I told my legs to move........but it was like they weren't listening! When I did get up I felt like an old man who needs a walker.

Good news is the legs are getting used to it now. Might be down to 4 instead of 6 Advil!
johnson18, Immortal1 and Econde like this.
post #160 of 388 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 06:18 PM
Algae Grower

I do not envy you that job. Last summer I had to move my tanks twice in three months due to my apartment building being renovated. Back then the largest one I had was 29 gallons and even that was a pain, I don't even want to imagine that process with a 120! Wishing you a smooth tank transition.

I am curious about something, what size net do you use to catch your larger bows? My biggest is only 3 inches she's deceptively strong, I'd imagine catching some of your larger full grown boys is quite the struggle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
post #161 of 388 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riza1990 View Post
I do not envy you that job. Last summer I had to move my tanks twice in three months due to my apartment building being renovated. Back then the largest one I had was 29 gallons and even that was a pain, I don't even want to imagine that process with a 120! Wishing you a smooth tank transition.

I am curious about something, what size net do you use to catch your larger bows? My biggest is only 3 inches she's deceptively strong, I'd imagine catching some of your larger full grown boys is quite the struggle.

I use nets that are 6" x 8". But the real key is to use two. Makes all the difference in the world.
post #162 of 388 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 07:42 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
I use nets that are 6" x 8". But the real key is to use two. Makes all the difference in the world.
Ahhhh gotcha, I'll keep that in mind.

post #163 of 388 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 08:25 PM
Algae Grower

I had to move my reef tank down the hall from a one bedroom into a two bedroom apartment when my almost wife moved in. It stayed there till we moved into our house and rather than break it down I gave everything to a worthy fish store employee with the caveat that he had to remove it all (down 3 flights!!!) including the moat I built in the other room that housed all the filtration equipment.

Clownin

I sure do miss that tank and the world I created.

Love the build and always loved Rainbows, might jack the C02 meter for my new 120 build I gots going on since the bubbles... they are a blur.

-Scott
post #164 of 388 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #165 of 388 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement above. It's appreciated and also motivational.

I think the actual move day may be Saturday morning. I just need to be sure I can recruit a couple of helpers. My girls offered to help, but I might need some more muscle.

I had to go into the office this morning, so got a late start. Here's where it's at 6:00pm this evening.

Name:	Day 1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	704242

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode