Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank (Amano's arrived..... 6/15) - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 667Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 532 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
AWESOME Rainbow Tank!!!! The 120g is a GREAT size for rainbows too!

How large were your fish when you got them? They are quite big now! Drew
I know this was asked a while back, but I finally got a halfway decent picture of a species of Rainbow I am growing out now. This little guy is a Melanotaenia Boesemani Lake Aytingo Rainbow. He's maybe a little over an inch, but already showing some good color.

I've talked about this before, but it will take almost 2 years for him to get to full mature adult size and color.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160416_202406.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	621122  

Brian Rodgers likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 532 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 11:02 PM
Algae Grower

Great looking tank. I really enjoyed your write up on the different species of Rainbows that you have.

One question I had is that you mention getting good quality fish from a good breeder is important, I was wondering if you had any suggestions on where to get quality Rainbows, preferably mail order?
post #33 of 532 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_9 View Post
Great looking tank. I really enjoyed your write up on the different species of Rainbows that you have.

One question I had is that you mention getting good quality fish from a good breeder is important, I was wondering if you had any suggestions on where to get quality Rainbows, preferably mail order?
Aquabid is a good place to start. There are some very reputable breeders there. Some to watch out for are Johnnyb, Rfman, alloddballaquatics, and roseline17. I would contact them and let them know what you are looking for.

If you you are lucky enough to see an auction by Rainbowfish, that is Gary Lange himself. Most of the really good blood lines have come from wild caught fish carefully bred for good lineage by Gary. You will notice people note when their stock originates from Gary Lange, which is a good thing.

There is also Wetspot. I haven't personally purchased from them but understand they carry some quality fish.

And you may have some available locally. I know two breeders outside Detroit & Chicago that don't sell on aquabid but sell to local fish stores. Both breed high quality F1 & F2 fish.

Good luck to you and let me know if you have any questions that I could help with.
sprint_9 likes this.

Last edited by Greggz; 05-06-2016 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Type

post #34 of 532 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just a quick update on my tank, and some sad news to report.

I lost one of my oldest 9 year old Turquoise Rainbows (Melanotaenia Lacustris). I could tell something was up, because he's been kind of waddling around the tank for months now. I figured this would be coming, that's why I'm growing out some babies now.

The funny thing is there are two others that were purchased at the same time, but he was by far the biggest and most dominant of his breed. For whatever reason, I've found this to be true over the years. I don't know if they become dominant because they are bigger, or if they get bigger because they are dominant? Who knows. But one always ends up bigger than the rest.

Anyway, it is sad when I've seen this guy in the tank every day for such a long time. RIP my old friend! (and RIP Prince too!)

I also added another two circulation pumps. I decided to try the Jebao RW-4, mostly because of the controller and adjustable settings. It's smaller than my Koralia's, but my gosh these things move some water. Even at the lowest setting it's pretty strong, and at the highest settings the plants probably couldn't stay rooted!

Last edited by Greggz; 04-22-2016 at 01:00 AM. Reason: typo
post #35 of 532 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 12:50 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Just a quick update on my tank, and some sad news to report.

I lost one of my oldest 9 year old Turquoise Rainbows (Melanotaenia Lacustris). I could tell something was up, because he's been kind of waddling around the tank for months now. I figured this would be coming, that's why I'm growing out some babies now.

The funny thing is there are two others that were purchased at the same time, but he was by far the biggest and most dominant of his breed. For whatever reason, I've found this to be true over the years. I don't know if they become dominant because they are bigger, or if they get bigger because they are dominant? Who knows. But one always ends up bigger than the rest.

Anyway, it is sad when I've seen this guy in the tank every day for such a long time. RIP my old friend! (and RIP Prince too!)

I also added another two circulation pumps. I decided to try the Jebao RW-4, mostly because of the controller and adjustable settings. It's smaller than my Koralia's, but my gosh these things move some water. Even at the lowest setting it's pretty strong, and at the highest settings the plants probably couldn't stay rooted!

Sorry to hear that. Did you give him a proper toilet burial? My 6 year old son has been to a few of those already. Haha.
post #36 of 532 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishrooster View Post
Sorry to hear that. Did you give him a proper toilet burial? My 6 year old son has been to a few of those already. Haha.
Funny you should ask, actually he was too big to be flushed. He got buried outside.
Noahma, Tanks! and Cornishrooster like this.
post #37 of 532 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 04:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
wow, those are beautiful fish!

thank you for writing in the description about these

I can't believe you've had them for 9 years! wow

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

40 gallon LED fixture
post #38 of 532 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 04:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Funny you should ask, actually he was too big to be flushed. He got buried outside.
at our last house my Daughter had a place in the garden for fallen fish lol. We had a couple Beta's and a hand full of tetras in there.
post #39 of 532 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry for your loss!!!

9 years is a long time!!!

I have a few Albino Cory Cats that are going on 8 years!!! I had "Big Mamma" a Large Female who would lay eggs like Clock work on a set schedule, but I lost her at the end of 14' and she was 9+ years old, so I totally understand your pain!!! I still find myself wanting to search for Big Mamma every once in a while!

Thanks for the info on the Breeders too! Once I get my Sword tank up and going I will start working on my next tank, and I keep leaning toward Rainbows since it has been a long while since I have had any! Then I see you fish and tank and it reminds me how great they look, and I want them NOW!!!

Take Care!
Drew

Thanks and Take Care,
Drew
------------------------------------------------------
Algae: the BANE of my Aquarium Life! It's ALL WAYS GROWING where I DON'T WANT IT TO, and NEVER where I NEED IT TOO!!!
post #40 of 532 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Algae Grower

Hi Greggz, I hope I can pick your brain about the rainbowfish.

I was hoping to add some to my 75 gallon, but I wanted to add 4 bosemani, 4 turquoise and 4 splendida. Do you think that would be OK?

I was told that the bosemani and turquoise are not temperature compatible. But I can see you have them in your tank and they look amazing and you've had them for quite a long time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #41 of 532 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've kept many, many species of Rainbows over the years. I've always had Boesemani and Turquoise together. I don't know where you read that about the temperature, but I've always kept my tank at about 77 degrees, and the Rainbows thrive.

Take care of the basics, and you will be fine. Regular water changes, good surface agitation, heavy filtration, and good flow are far more important than temperature. Rainbows in general are a pretty hardy species, and can be quite long lived if cared for well.
pauliewoz likes this.
post #42 of 532 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 01:15 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I've kept many, many species of Rainbows over the years. I've always had Boesemani and Turquoise together. I don't know where you read that about the temperature, but I've always kept my tank at about 77 degrees, and the Rainbows thrive.

Take care of the basics, and you will be fine. Regular water changes, good surface agitation, heavy filtration, and good flow are far more important than temperature. Rainbows in general are a pretty hardy species, and can be quite long lived if cared for well.
Thanks for the tips. And what about keeping 4 of each kind? Would that be OK?

post #43 of 532 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliewoz View Post
Thanks for the tips. And what about keeping 4 of each kind? Would that be OK?

I generally keep anywhere from 2 to 5 of each species. 4 of each would be great. And you have room for more.

As a point of reference, I have over 30 Rainbows in my 120G. They vary in mature size from 2" (Pygmaea) to the largest Running Creek trifasciata at about 5". Most are in the 3" to 4" range.

Rainbows in general are a thin fish, with not a lot of mass. I've always kept a fully stocked tank (some would say over stocked), but it has always worked for me. The better the tank maintenance, the larger the margin for error.
post #44 of 532 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In various posts I've commented on how Rainbow Fish spar and "flash".

It's part of the mating ritual. Basically who is the biggest and baddest.

The males will intensify their colors, and produce a vivid colored bright stripe down their nose.

I caught one of my large male Lacustris displaying a few minutes ago. For those who have never seen it, here's how it looks.

5-15 Added a video from today.

Rainbow Fish Sparring Video:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160514_164846.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	631626  

johnson18 likes this.

Last edited by Greggz; 01-23-2017 at 10:49 PM. Reason: typo
post #45 of 532 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I recently added a few new species to my tank. I did my best to get some halfway decent pictures, but taking pictures of baby Rainbows is nearly impossible. They are small and in constant motion. My thought is to post these now, then follow up when they begin to mature.

Hopefully this helps for people who are new to Rainbow fish. You just can’t go out and buy a mature tank of Rainbows. You start with little guys who don’t look like much, and as they mature they will change shape and develop mature colors.

It takes patience, but personally I really enjoy watching them develop.

So here's what's new.

I’ve mentioned before that the Praecox Rainbow fish is one of the most over bred and weak strains of Rainbow Fish. This is the new “Pagai” Praecox. It’s a recently wild caught species from the village of Pagai, which is now being bred. The hope is to bring in a new healthy bloodline. This one is barely 1” now.

This is a Coomalie Crater Rainbow (Melanotaenia splendida inornata). It’s new to the U.S. market. This little fellow is just under 2”, but is already showing the characteristic checkered pattern they are known for.

This is a Wonga Creek Rainbow fish (Melanotaenia trifasciata). It’s one of the many variations of the Trifasciata’s. This one about 1.5”. Can’t wait to see what he looks like fully matured.

This is a Zig Zag Rainbow Fish (Glossolepis dorityi). This is a good example of how babies don’t look anything like the adult. You can barely make out the trademark red stripes that will develop as he matures. You really need to know what you are buying, as this fish should be spectacular when full grown. Right now he just looks like a minnow

This is a Tor River Rainbow fish (Chilatherina sp.). It should be similar to my Chilatherina Alleni’s, but more of an yellow color. It’s also new in the U.S. market. Right now doesn’t look like much, but once it colors up, is supposed to be one of the most beautiful Chilatherina’s.

This is a Pygmaea Rainbow (Melanotaenia Pygmaea). He's less than an 1", and won't get much bigger. Very hard to get a photo, as they are in constant motion.
johnson18 and Makapo like this.

Last edited by Greggz; 05-15-2016 at 12:17 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode