el gordo 6 gallon fluval edge journal - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaQue View Post
My Java Moss seems like its lost some color, could it be too much light? I turn the lights on when I get up (6:30am) and off before bed (10-11pm)

Yours looks much greener unless its just the pictures. Tanks looking good!
Hey TeaQue,

It seems like you have a pretty long period with your lights on. That may be part of the problem.

I started having some discoloration with my moss a few weeks back. I was just running co2 and lights with hope that this and the bioload of the tank would be enough to sustain the moss growth. But when I started checking my nitrate levels, I noticed that they were near zero. My moss really didn't start to establish itself until after I hooked up my pressurized co2 system, and once it did, it began depleting the tank of all the nutrients...High Lights, high co2=higher demand for nutrients.

So I picked up two more Japanese Shrimp and some SEACHEM nitrogen and added .3ml of nitrogen to the tank. Within 24 hours there was a serious difference. My nitrate levels went up 15ppm and the shrimp had really really cleaned the tank. Later on in the week, I also grabbed some SEACHEM comprehensive for micros and dosed .5ml of that and things are looking even better. I've done dry ferts before, but I was impatient and wanted to go right down the block and pick up the already mixed stuff.

If I were you, I'd check your nitrate levels and examine a dosing regime. Maybe even cut down your photoperiod significantly.

My Photoperiod:

Moonlight> 8:00a - 2:00p
10W bulb> 2:00p - 1:30a (nice low light)
LEDs > 4:00p - 1:00a
Moonlight> 1:30a - 2:45a

total darkness> 2:45a - 8:00a
maximum light> 9 hours

I really only have maximum lights on over the tank from 4pm to 1am, with a max photo period of 9 hours. That may be a little excessive. All the other light tinkering I've done just for aesthetic reasons.

I'll post some new pics when I get the chance. I'm super happy with how the moss growth is panning out for me. Now I'm trying to dial in it all...slowly but surely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here's an update of the tank progress with some photos of the new moonlight in action (at night) and the moss growth.

Lunar1

Lunar2

Star-crossed lovers

My view

What's really wonderful about these aquariums is how they look as a whole...inside and out. It's tempting to add additional lighting on the top of the glass, but that would really defeat the purpose of why one buys this aquarium in the first place. I like the design and the way that it conceals components. And I'm diggin the moss....
post #33 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Algae Grower

Sounds like I need to buy a timer of some sort.

I checked the nitrate levels in my tank and they were low but I thought they were supposed to be near zero for fish? I even bought some seachem stuff that was supposed to eliminate it, I guess that was a mistake!

We've added 6 neons, 6 Rosie tetras (?), and 2 medium sized ghost shrimp that have been doing a great job at cleaning the tank.

I'm using Seachem Flourish, Seachem Stability, some plant tabs, and I guess I should look for Seachem Nitrogen?
post #34 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Planted Member

Tank looks good.
post #35 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Sounds like I need to buy a timer of some sort.

I checked the nitrate levels in my tank and they were low but I thought they were supposed to be near zero for fish? I even bought some seachem stuff that was supposed to eliminate it, I guess that was a mistake!

We've added 6 neons, 6 Rosie tetras (?), and 2 medium sized ghost shrimp that have been doing a great job at cleaning the tank.

I'm using Seachem Flourish, Seachem Stability, some plant tabs, and I guess I should look for Seachem Nitrogen?
I'd definitely invest in some cheap timers. Picked up mine from home depot for like $3 each. I'm using the Nitrogen to increase the nitrates for the plants and the comprehensive for the micro nutrients. There are other ways to fertilize, but it was the most convenient for me here in Queens. I've never used the stability product but that's probably good for a new tank in the beginning. I don't think you've made a mistake buying the stability stuff though. I think it's good for establishing a biofilter. I don't think that you will need to use it after your biofilter has been established though. What kind of plants do you have in your tank that you're using the root tabs for?

Nitrates are good for plants...you just need to keep them in check. If you notice that your plants are showing signs of nutrient deficiency, then it's time to get the test kits out and you may need to examine your dosing regime. I often feel the same way with algae.
post #36 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Algae Grower

That moon light looks great!

I just planted some Mondo grass and have a few more plants on the way that will need them as well.
post #37 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
That moon light looks great!

I just planted some Mondo grass and have a few more plants on the way that will need them as well.
thanks!! And best of luck with those new plants. I'm sure your tank will look great!!
post #38 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Planted Member

Moss is filling in pretty nicely, looks great. Will be interesting to see how far it creeps toward the edges of the tank.

Also, what bubble rate are you running on your CO2 setup? I currently have mine piped into the impeller chamber of the filter but I have the same glass diffusers lying around and wonder if the diffusion rate would be better or worse.
post #39 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuonor View Post
Moss is filling in pretty nicely, looks great. Will be interesting to see how far it creeps toward the edges of the tank.

Also, what bubble rate are you running on your CO2 setup? I currently have mine piped into the impeller chamber of the filter but I have the same glass diffusers lying around and wonder if the diffusion rate would be better or worse.
the moss is a lot of fun towards the middle. the way it's setup the outflow of the filter shoots down between the rocks and pushes the moss towards the foreground. So I have what looks like moss runners, but they're actually created by the current. I'm gonna do a clipping in a couple weeks and maybe resew that moss to some new mesh...measure it and fill the rest of the tank in. No rush though.

I currently have my CO2 running around one bubble every 10-12 seconds into the diffuser. I added a little bit of h2o in the glass diffuser which has been working like a bubble counter. I've got the 5lb tank setup and according to my gauge...my c02 may run out sometime in the next year...or two.

It's nice to have a consistent amount...helps when trying to balance everything else in the tank...namely the nutrients now
post #40 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

looking nice fat guy!

also the tank looks much more dramatic after moving the other things off the dresser...keep u the good work!
post #41 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
the moss is a lot of fun towards the middle. the way it's setup the outflow of the filter shoots down between the rocks and pushes the moss towards the foreground. So I have what looks like moss runners, but they're actually created by the current. I'm gonna do a clipping in a couple weeks and maybe resew that moss to some new mesh...measure it and fill the rest of the tank in. No rush though.

I currently have my CO2 running around one bubble every 10-12 seconds into the diffuser. I added a little bit of h2o in the glass diffuser which has been working like a bubble counter. I've got the 5lb tank setup and according to my gauge...my c02 may run out sometime in the next year...or two.

It's nice to have a consistent amount...helps when trying to balance everything else in the tank...namely the nutrients now
Interesting. I am running a much higher bubble rate (2-3bps), so may have to experiment with the diffuser. Then again, my bubble counter seems to make really small bubbles.

If you're running a drop checker, does that bubble rate get you to a green indicator solution? Thanks again...
post #42 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemacnyc View Post
looking nice fat guy!

also the tank looks much more dramatic after moving the other things off the dresser...keep u the good work!
thank you sir. and that dresser cleans up nice for photos too.

tuonor, I don't have a drop checker yet. I've been playing with bubble rates and watching the pH in the tank (which isn't very accurate because the rocks are boosting the GH). The next thing I order is gonna be a drop checker. But the diffuser is making a big difference where before I was running it through a filter cartridge and made a run at feeding it into the impeller. At one point I had a faster bubble rate like one every 5 seconds, but toward the end of the day I noticed that my fish seemed drugged and were more or less motionless and lethargic in the water. So I decreased the amount a bit and everything went back to normal. I want to get the drop checker, but I'm also happy where the plants in the tank are at right now. They look healthy and their growth is fuller. I may play with increasing the co2 amount a little bit, but will most likely wait until I get that drop checker to do so.
post #43 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 04:44 PM

Hi I love your fluval edge with the moss. I have a fluval edge. I am not an expert by any means but found that the filter that came with it was not keeping up at all with cleaning the tank. I ended up going getting a cheap $15 filter called cascade 80. I could not find anything else that would fit in the allotted space. This is one of the ones that has a filter cartridge and it really gets the water much cleaner.

I love your moss. I would love to do something like that.

I am curious why you added all the extra lighting. The bulbs that came with mine seem bright enough. Is there something wrong with the lighting that came with it or do you just like it extra bright?

the blue lights are really cool looking.

what do you think a snail would do to your moss? I love apple snails

keep posting pictures...thanks
post #44 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 04:52 PM

wanted to subscribe but could not find the link without making another post
post #45 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky22 View Post
Hi I love your fluval edge with the moss. I have a fluval edge. I am not an expert by any means but found that the filter that came with it was not keeping up at all with cleaning the tank. I ended up going getting a cheap $15 filter called cascade 80. I could not find anything else that would fit in the allotted space. This is one of the ones that has a filter cartridge and it really gets the water much cleaner.

I love your moss. I would love to do something like that.

I am curious why you added all the extra lighting. The bulbs that came with mine seem bright enough. Is there something wrong with the lighting that came with it or do you just like it extra bright?

the blue lights are really cool looking.

what do you think a snail would do to your moss? I love apple snails

keep posting pictures...thanks
Hey Becky22. Thanks for the comments. That's cool that you are trying a different filter. I added the extra lighting to get more light on the tank with the LEDs. I like the color a lot more that they emit, and they don't get as hot as the halogens that came with the tank. I also added the 10W just to get more light on the moss as well. The Moss is very forgiving and looks great if you can get it to establish itself and feed it well. It loves nutrients.

I like apple snails too, but I don't think that they are good to have in a planted tank. I think Malaysian Trumpet Snails would be a better choice. But I think the apple snails would find the moss very tasty.

Thanks again for the comments. I'll post some more pics maybe after I do a trimming.

Best,

-el gordo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode