29G Paludarium - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MR10C

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

29G Paludarium

Last week I converted my aquarium into a paludarium.

I started with about 40lbs of lava rock that I glued together in 'modules' using GreatStuff Black Pond Foam. I don't like the look of the foam as a fake rock but I am very pleased with it as a glue. I sanded and dremeled visible foam as much as possible and i feel it looks great.

There are 3 main 'modules': The left module creates the left cliff, water goes all the way to the back of the tank there. This module also has a 2" pipe glued to it that runs under the soil to the pump area.

The front module makes up the front cliff to just about where the waterfall comes down. I just picked pretty somewhat interlocking rock and used the GreatStuff to glue this section together.

The biggest module is the waterfall. It's made almost entirely of foam and is hollow inside to create room for pump and mister. The waterfall structure is also glued to this module. This was the hardest part to make. I covered the PVC pipe and an empty box in parchment paper, sprayed the foam structure, then removed the parchment paper once the foam was dry. This worked pretty well. I then started foaming the waterfall structure to the main body, which made the structure front-heave. Since the foam is somewhat flexible it left a gap at the back of the structure where gravel trickled into the pump space. I had to build up the gravel and loose rocks around it carefully while pushing the structure back against the glass. It all worked out in the end and I am glad I managed to build this without actually glueing anything to the tank.

I used about 40lbs Flourite Black for the substrate. Here's the tank with about 25lbs of the substrate in place

I bought some invitro plants from Petco and added my own Anubias from the aquarium to it. Here's all the plants so far:

They should all do well. I heard the Anubias might have a hard time transitioning from submersed to emersed but so far it is looking good.

Here's an overview (sorry that the top is cut of)

The tank is much taller than in the last picture. I have some Alternanthera Reineckii Rosaefolia, and Rotala Colorata coming in to hopefully fill some of the height.

Also getting some Salvinia Minima as a floater and Riccardia Chamedryfolia (Mini Pellia) as ground cover on the left.

Eventually might add some Geosesarma crabs or Dendorbates Auratus, not decided yet.

Also curious if introducing springtails would benefit this environment as a cleanup crew and food supplement.
doggo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like it a lot. You did a great job. I was thinking of creating a waterfall in a tank that I am using with the water at half level. I haven't done it yet, though. Yours looks beautiful, so it is making me think again about doing it! What are you using for your pump?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

As long as you keep humidity high in there anubias does fine transitioning. Might take a few weeks for next new leaf but won't loose leaves if humidity is high.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by touch of sky View Post
Yours looks beautiful, so it is making me think again about doing it! What are you using for your pump?
If you don't build it into the tank you can always move/remove it if it doesn't work out. That's why I built it on parchment paper to create a smooth edge on the GreatStuff foam. I wrapped the box the parchment paper came in to create the space for the pump. The parchment paper came off super easy and the result was a pretty controlled shape.

The pump is a VicTsing 80 GPH Submersible Pump from Amazon set to about half capacity. I have another one in my Fluval Spec and they work great so far, very quiet too.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it, and good luck with your tank. It looks great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode