The Planted Tank Forum banner

Blackwater Tetra opinions...

15K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  Mr. Limpet 
#1 ·
I want some sort of tetra for my 29g, which is now a blackwater set-up. I was thinking a school of 10 to 15, not bigger than 1.5 inches, that like the midlevel of the aquarium. No cardinals or neons, they just seem like default fish, and I'm not a fan of my moms school of cards. No fin nippers!

I like ember tetras, but would I even see them well?

Any suggestions?

#7 ·
What about Gold tetras? My LFS has some really nice looking ones, and the worker there was quite confident they would look stunning in a school of about 15 in blackwater. I know he's trying to sell them, but after some research they seem to fit the bill of what I'm looking for.

What do you guys think?

I was also leaning towards Green Neons, but I'm not sure if my water is too hard for them or not...

With the blackwater, it's at GH 6 and KH 2. Still can't seem to track down a reliable pH test. Judging from other sources online in my zip code, the out of tap is 7.4 pH.

#8 ·
I like them! I have 30 or so in my 56g with Beckford's Pencils and Keyholes. I like the glint and the subtle blue line they develop. Only school tightly when the Keyholes get showy with each other, otherwise they form small groups of 10 or so. I think they're pretty adaptable, but I have a relatively acidic tank (5.8pH)

Wanted to keep the tank based loosely on a blackwater oxbow in Guyana, so they fit. (Glowlights were another choice, but kept them as a kid so I really can't stand them now. Weird.

#16 · (Edited)
Some suggestions:

Paracheirodon simulans " Green neon" tetra
Aphyocharax rathbuni "Green Fire" tetra
Hyphessobrycon loretoensis "Loreto" Tetra
Hemigrammus rubrostriatus "Red-Stripe" tetra
Carnegiella strigata “Peru” "Marble Hatchet fish"\

Edit: How did I end up dredging a 9 year old post when intending on answering another current one? (sigh)

#21 ·
Hyphessobrycon elachys - reed tetras. They school well together, have cool fins, are tiny (about an inch), and active when the males are sparring or courting the females. I have them with ember tetras and to be honest the ember tetras pretty much hide in the plants most of the time. The reed tetras are almost always out and about.

ETA PIC:

Group of Hyphessobrycon elachys (reed tetra) by Kaveh Maguire, on Flickr

#22 ·
I have 17 Greeen fire tetras in my 40 gallon tank.
They color up beautifully, look fantastic in a planted tank, and are very peaceful.
Mine also stay together for the most part, but are shoalers like most tetras.
Mine stay in the open midwaters but will not hesitate to come to the surface to feed.
Your water parameters would be good for them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.