The Planted Tank Forum banner

Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos

607K views 2K replies 371 participants last post by  Jmcdaniel0 
#1 · (Edited)
Updated Re-write. 2/4/2011

I found a cheap way to use Paintball Co2 Tank for injecting Co2 into planted aquariums. Prices varies depending on different Brands of products that you purchase. I preferred to get parts brand new to avoid any problem down the line. This setup can cost from $30 dollars to $80 dollars + for a working unit. It all depends on what you want to do and add on to it. But it's easily obtainable with $30 dollars to rig up.

In order to have this setup rig up and working. You will need the following items.

- 3.5 oz to 24 oz Paintball Co2 Tank filled $25 and under.

- Paintball Co2 ASA On/Off Valve 2 Threads (Gauge, Needle Valve inputs) $10 - $60 depending on brand.

- Paintball Co2 Gauge - $5 - $10 depending on brand.

- Needle Valves (You have several options to choose from) $10 - $20
* Watts A-41 LF 1/8'' x 1/4'' Compression (Homedepot or Lowes)
* Watts A-40 LF 1/8'' x 1/4'' Compression (Homedepot or Lowes)
* Swagelok Needle Valve 1/8'' x 1/8'' Compression (Ebay)
* My Needle Valve1/8'' x 1/4'' (Ask me if interested) (PM Me)

- Co2 Tubing (Part Number SVEB10 sold at Homedepot 10 feet is $2.14)

- Teflon Tape (Homedepot or Lowes/Craft Stores .50 cent - $1.00)

- Check Valve (Aquarium store $1)

- Bubble Counter Optional (Online store prices varies)

- Drop Checker Optional (Online store prices varies)

- A way to diffuse Co2 into your tank whether through a ceramic glass diffuser, hang on filter, canister filter, chop stick, power head, reactor. Prices varies from Free to whatever

Your parts will be similar to the photos below.

It's basically pretty simple. A basic guide.

- Make sure Paintball Co2 is Filled
- Teflon Tape Gauge Thread and screw it into any side of the ASA On/Off Valve. Use a wrench to further tighten it.
- Prepare your Needle Valve's both side threads with Telfon Tape.
- Slide Co2 tubing through the Needle Valve's output Nut, then do the same to through the Compression Sleeve.
- Tighten Needle Valve's output Nut onto the Needle Valve. Use a wrench to further tighten it.
- Screw on Needle Valve into the ASA On/Off Valve. Use a wrench to further tighten it.
- Twist the Top Knob on the ASA On/Off Valve counter clockwise to open the Pin.
- Screw ASA On/Off Valve onto the Paintball Co2 Tank. Hand tighten only.
- Make sure your Needle Valve is Closed fully.
- Twist the Top Knob on the ASA On/Off Valve clockwise to close the Pin.
- If Gauge reads 800-850 PSI, Co2 Gas has entered the ASA On/Off Valve Chamber.
- SLIGHTLY open the Needle Valve "T" Arm.
- Dump the entire Paintball Co2 Tank with the ASA On/Off Valve into a 10gallon fish tank or 5 gallon bucket. Check for leaks. Any bubble forms will result in leakage. Trace your installation steps again.
- If no leak is present, hook the end of the Co2 Tubing to desire way to diffusing the Co2 gas and you're good to go!

There are option parts such as Bubble Counter and Check Valves to be hooked up along the Co2 Tubing line. That should be common sense.

Basic Step for Installing Co2 Tubing onto Needle Valve.

Overall Setup Installation once said and done.

Paintball Co2 Tank

Paintball Co2 On and Off Valve 2 threaded inputs

Paintball Co2 Gauge (Wrap thread with Teflon tape to prevent leaks)

Homedepot Needle Valve (Wrap therad with Teftlon tape to prevent leaks)

One the Needle Valve, one thread goes into the On and Off Valve, and the other one has a coupler that will crimp onto a Co2 tubing hose. Which will be the path of your Co2 line going straight to your tank. Make sure you have this Co2 tubing connected as well.

Once everything is thread tight, making sure the upper needle valve of the On and Off Valve is fully counter clockwise opened, attach it onto the Co2 tank of your choice. Closed the upper needle valve by turning it clockwise to release Co2 from the Paintball Tank. Make sure your Needle Valve is closed all the way. Your gauge should bounce straight up to 800PSI at most.

Upper Valve Closed. 0 PSI

Upper Valve Opened. 800 PSI

Test the On and Off Valve for leaks by aiming the Paintball tank with everything attached up side down into a bucket of water. If there's any bubbles coming from the threaded slots, recheck your teflon tape and tightness.

Once there's no leak, everything should be a straight forward from there. Attach the end of the Co2 tubing to a Diffuser and your good to go. Adjust bubbles from 2bps to 4bps.

A regular 24oz Paintball Co2 Tank at about 2bps will last a good 4-6 months. When refilling Co2 tank, just close your Needle Valve, Open up the upper valve on the On and Off Valve with will block off the Co2 Tank's outlet pressure. Then go ahead and twist off the On and Off Valve itself and just bring the Co2 Tank to your local Co2 Paintball store and have it refill. It only cost $4.00 to refill a 24oz Paintball tank.

Been using 3 of these units on 3 different tanks and have had no problems. You can also get away without using a Gauge, Save yourself the extra few bucks. Fully filled Co2 Tank is about 1.4 lbs. I used one without a Gauge and it works the same. Just keep the Hex bolt in the Gauge slot closed so that way a Gauge is not needed. All the parts can be bought locally at your local Paintball sport stores and Homedepot or Lowes.

Hope that helps!

Additional informations for easy lookup.

The O rings are easily replacecable. It's like .58 cents per 3-6 O rings. Part number at Lowes is BrassCraft # 0533. The size is 1/4"ID x 3/8"OD x 1/16" Wall Thickness.

At 1bps on a 24 oz PB tank. You can get 5-6 months.
At 2bps on a 24 oz PB tank. You can get 4-5 months.
At 3bps on a 24 oz PB tank. You can get 2-3 months.
At 4-5 bps on a 24 oz PB tank, You can get 1.5-2 months
At 6-8 bps on a 24 oz PB tank, You're looking at 1 month before refill.

With g33tar permissions, the Option #3 setup attached to a Super Diffuser/Atomic Diffuser in great working results!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KYQDDBjX5s
[/SIZE]

See less See more
#238 ·
Nope, not that I have experienced. I ran it once through an entire full filled co2 paintball tank setup without having to adjust it. I set mines and leave it 24/7. I just leave it til when it's reaches 50psi and I turn it off and remove it. That's what the black hose is for.

I would suggest using a breakoff point at the end of that black co2 hose, that way you can close your needle valve, and shut off the upper valve ontop of the On/Off Valve, and twist off the On/Off Valve for easy refilling. Just makes it easier so you don't have to remove the co2 hose as a complete one unit.
I used the Tee connector from this kit, it pops out fairly easy and the co2 hose will plug into it snugged. No leak there also.

Just a suggestion for easy disconnect of the On/Off Valve while you take only the Paintball Co2 tank for refilling.

The black co2 tubing hose can be bought at your local fish/pet store. Homedepot carries it too, might not be black but it is made for co2 gas passthru safe. They come in clear also.

#409 ·
Nope, not that I have experienced. I ran it once through an entire full filled co2 paintball tank setup without having to adjust it. I set mines and leave it 24/7. I just leave it til when it's reaches 50psi and I turn it off and remove it. That's what the black hose is for.

I would suggest using a breakoff point at the end of that black co2 hose, that way you can close your needle valve, and shut off the upper valve ontop of the On/Off Valve, and twist off the On/Off Valve for easy refilling. Just makes it easier so you don't have to remove the co2 hose as a complete one unit.
I used the Tee connector from this kit, it pops out fairly easy and the co2 hose will plug into it snugged. No leak there also.

Just a suggestion for easy disconnect of the On/Off Valve while you take only the Paintball Co2 tank for refilling.

The black co2 tubing hose can be bought at your local fish/pet store. Homedepot carries it too, might not be black but it is made for co2 gas passthru safe. They come in clear also.

Is that a knob for adjustments? I'm having trouble adjusting mine to the bubble rate i want. Can anyone suggest another valve for fine tuning?

#244 ·
That second link, the on and off valve might not fit onto the paintball tank. Since it's overseas, I believed they use different thread size or design? I'm not too sure on that, someone link me the same thing, and I had to say the same thing I told you.

#253 ·
I believed it's possible. I don't see why not. At the time of setup, I did look into solenoid but I'm not too familiar with where to find the right size thread. If you want one, its possible. You just have to do your search for a few couplers, reducers and such to make it work with a solenoid being the same size thread.

#254 ·
Happi, there are links throughout the thread. There are several ways to do this as well. If no one has done it by the time I get home I will. Any Paintball tank that holds CO2 will work. They are sold at most sporting good stores, most people buy 20 or 24oz tanks. The adapter for the tank is sold at Paintball stores. If people want one I'm placing an order, they are
$11.61 plus shipping. It's the cheapest we have found. As for the tubing, any vinyl tubing that is approved for liquid and gas will work home depot has 20 feet for $3.00. Hope that helps, but if need be I'll add links later tonight.

sent from my phone, because I can't get the internet out in the boonies.

#257 ·
Well I decided that I like this and will give it a try lol. Today I picked up my bottle, and the needle valve, thank god Lowes had it, because home depot's website said that it was not carried in stores, and was not available online. The bottle I picked up from Walmart, they had two sizes in stock, and due to money constraints I grabbed the 9oz. bottle, and will eventually upgrade to the larger tank.

Now I am in the hunt for the on and off valve, and the pressure gauge

#259 ·
I wanted to give an update. I haven't ordered the valves yet, I want to give people a chance to decide. That being the case, I would prefer holding off on any payments until I have them in hand to send. That way, if the order is delayed no one thinks I'm trying to scam them. As I said, I'm offering to help people out so we can all save a little cash, its the least I can do, but without Jagged making this thread, we never would have known about trying this. One other thing, I'm trying to figure out how to get more room for pm's, I only get 25, so if my box is full please post in here. I do check this all the time.
I would like to order on Monday, so anyone interested let me know. I'm able to order as many as I need, the owner is pretty cool, and for $11 not a bad deal.

#262 ·
In order to have more PM's, I think you need to pay a certain fee to this website. Maybe someone can chime in on this. Anyways, if someone is really interested in putting a solenoid to this, by all means give it a try and it's fine to post it here also. Like Jeff said, it maybe work perfectly or it maynot, due to the solenoids having certain pressure rating to operate. This is the stuff that I don't know about, so I really don't want to get into the solenoid thing.

Yepp.

#265 ·
Lowes and Homedepot should have it. The websites I linked you guys says unavailable, it's referring to my state also. But, they do carry it. Where I live, there's like 8 Home Depots and 6 Lowes within a 15 mile radius lol. If it's not a hassle for you, go to the store and go straight to plumbing department and find where they hang all those little brass and pvc couplers threads and the needle valve should be hung there also.

#266 ·
i guess i will go there on monday, i suppose to be sleeping rite now because i gota go to work early. but what can i say i love planted tanks and too exicited to make a co2 setup for my nano tank.

anyway is your guys petsmart getting rid of floutite plant substrate, because i just picked 10 bags $5 each and they are 15.4lb each.
wonder if they are doing this in all the petsmarts.

#270 ·
I was at petsmart no more 3-4 days ago, Didn't noticed anything substrate on sale. I did purchase a mystery snail lol. Do go and check Lowes and Homedepot in person, pretty sure they will carry it. Just remember Plumbing isle, fittings and valves of brass and pvc on a "display" wall.

I would opt to get the co2 hose, it's $2.69 for 20 feet of it. That should be more than enough. But you need to get the next bigger size up air line from the standard air lines that majority of people are using for air pumps or it won't fit tight inside the Needle valve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.