The Planted Tank Forum banner

Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos

607K views 2K replies 371 participants last post by  Jmcdaniel0 
#1 · (Edited)
Updated Re-write. 2/4/2011

I found a cheap way to use Paintball Co2 Tank for injecting Co2 into planted aquariums. Prices varies depending on different Brands of products that you purchase. I preferred to get parts brand new to avoid any problem down the line. This setup can cost from $30 dollars to $80 dollars + for a working unit. It all depends on what you want to do and add on to it. But it's easily obtainable with $30 dollars to rig up.

In order to have this setup rig up and working. You will need the following items.

- 3.5 oz to 24 oz Paintball Co2 Tank filled $25 and under.

- Paintball Co2 ASA On/Off Valve 2 Threads (Gauge, Needle Valve inputs) $10 - $60 depending on brand.

- Paintball Co2 Gauge - $5 - $10 depending on brand.

- Needle Valves (You have several options to choose from) $10 - $20
* Watts A-41 LF 1/8'' x 1/4'' Compression (Homedepot or Lowes)
* Watts A-40 LF 1/8'' x 1/4'' Compression (Homedepot or Lowes)
* Swagelok Needle Valve 1/8'' x 1/8'' Compression (Ebay)
* My Needle Valve1/8'' x 1/4'' (Ask me if interested) (PM Me)

- Co2 Tubing (Part Number SVEB10 sold at Homedepot 10 feet is $2.14)

- Teflon Tape (Homedepot or Lowes/Craft Stores .50 cent - $1.00)

- Check Valve (Aquarium store $1)

- Bubble Counter Optional (Online store prices varies)

- Drop Checker Optional (Online store prices varies)

- A way to diffuse Co2 into your tank whether through a ceramic glass diffuser, hang on filter, canister filter, chop stick, power head, reactor. Prices varies from Free to whatever

Your parts will be similar to the photos below.

It's basically pretty simple. A basic guide.

- Make sure Paintball Co2 is Filled
- Teflon Tape Gauge Thread and screw it into any side of the ASA On/Off Valve. Use a wrench to further tighten it.
- Prepare your Needle Valve's both side threads with Telfon Tape.
- Slide Co2 tubing through the Needle Valve's output Nut, then do the same to through the Compression Sleeve.
- Tighten Needle Valve's output Nut onto the Needle Valve. Use a wrench to further tighten it.
- Screw on Needle Valve into the ASA On/Off Valve. Use a wrench to further tighten it.
- Twist the Top Knob on the ASA On/Off Valve counter clockwise to open the Pin.
- Screw ASA On/Off Valve onto the Paintball Co2 Tank. Hand tighten only.
- Make sure your Needle Valve is Closed fully.
- Twist the Top Knob on the ASA On/Off Valve clockwise to close the Pin.
- If Gauge reads 800-850 PSI, Co2 Gas has entered the ASA On/Off Valve Chamber.
- SLIGHTLY open the Needle Valve "T" Arm.
- Dump the entire Paintball Co2 Tank with the ASA On/Off Valve into a 10gallon fish tank or 5 gallon bucket. Check for leaks. Any bubble forms will result in leakage. Trace your installation steps again.
- If no leak is present, hook the end of the Co2 Tubing to desire way to diffusing the Co2 gas and you're good to go!

There are option parts such as Bubble Counter and Check Valves to be hooked up along the Co2 Tubing line. That should be common sense.

Basic Step for Installing Co2 Tubing onto Needle Valve.

Overall Setup Installation once said and done.

Paintball Co2 Tank

Paintball Co2 On and Off Valve 2 threaded inputs

Paintball Co2 Gauge (Wrap thread with Teflon tape to prevent leaks)

Homedepot Needle Valve (Wrap therad with Teftlon tape to prevent leaks)

One the Needle Valve, one thread goes into the On and Off Valve, and the other one has a coupler that will crimp onto a Co2 tubing hose. Which will be the path of your Co2 line going straight to your tank. Make sure you have this Co2 tubing connected as well.

Once everything is thread tight, making sure the upper needle valve of the On and Off Valve is fully counter clockwise opened, attach it onto the Co2 tank of your choice. Closed the upper needle valve by turning it clockwise to release Co2 from the Paintball Tank. Make sure your Needle Valve is closed all the way. Your gauge should bounce straight up to 800PSI at most.

Upper Valve Closed. 0 PSI

Upper Valve Opened. 800 PSI

Test the On and Off Valve for leaks by aiming the Paintball tank with everything attached up side down into a bucket of water. If there's any bubbles coming from the threaded slots, recheck your teflon tape and tightness.

Once there's no leak, everything should be a straight forward from there. Attach the end of the Co2 tubing to a Diffuser and your good to go. Adjust bubbles from 2bps to 4bps.

A regular 24oz Paintball Co2 Tank at about 2bps will last a good 4-6 months. When refilling Co2 tank, just close your Needle Valve, Open up the upper valve on the On and Off Valve with will block off the Co2 Tank's outlet pressure. Then go ahead and twist off the On and Off Valve itself and just bring the Co2 Tank to your local Co2 Paintball store and have it refill. It only cost $4.00 to refill a 24oz Paintball tank.

Been using 3 of these units on 3 different tanks and have had no problems. You can also get away without using a Gauge, Save yourself the extra few bucks. Fully filled Co2 Tank is about 1.4 lbs. I used one without a Gauge and it works the same. Just keep the Hex bolt in the Gauge slot closed so that way a Gauge is not needed. All the parts can be bought locally at your local Paintball sport stores and Homedepot or Lowes.

Hope that helps!

Additional informations for easy lookup.

The O rings are easily replacecable. It's like .58 cents per 3-6 O rings. Part number at Lowes is BrassCraft # 0533. The size is 1/4"ID x 3/8"OD x 1/16" Wall Thickness.

At 1bps on a 24 oz PB tank. You can get 5-6 months.
At 2bps on a 24 oz PB tank. You can get 4-5 months.
At 3bps on a 24 oz PB tank. You can get 2-3 months.
At 4-5 bps on a 24 oz PB tank, You can get 1.5-2 months
At 6-8 bps on a 24 oz PB tank, You're looking at 1 month before refill.

With g33tar permissions, the Option #3 setup attached to a Super Diffuser/Atomic Diffuser in great working results!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KYQDDBjX5s
[/SIZE]

See less See more
#199 ·
So I was out and about, and I found a hole in the wall paintball shop, so I stopped in. I ended up finding the adapter and gauge for $11.00. I asked if they had anyore, but it was the last one. They are going to order me two more. If I can get more I'll do it and sell them if anyone wants one.

sent from my phone, because I can't get the internet out in the boonies.

#203 ·
Here's a picture.... I hope its the right kind, lol.

Looks like the right one base on the online website itself.
http://www.trinitypaintball.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TR+657

If the opposite side of the gauge doesn't have a thread, you can always remove the gauge itself and use a needle valve on that side instead. If it does have another threaded side on the opposite side of the gauge, then put the needle valve there while keeping your gauge in the same position it is now.

#204 ·
Here are the pics you requested..... everything fits nice and tight, no leaks.... now for the real test...... as I said, if I can get more, and if this one works, I would be willing to buy them and sell to anyone who is interested. Cost would be the total price, plus shipping. So no more than $20, but I know shipping is less.

#209 ·
Here are the pics you requested..... everything fits nice and tight, no leaks.... now for the real test...... as I said, if I can get more, and if this one works, I would be willing to buy them and sell to anyone who is interested. Cost would be the total price, plus shipping. So no more than $20, but I know shipping is less.
Those look really nice. Definitely pm me when you get them, I've already got the neddle valve from lowes so the gauge and asa is all I need. If I can't find something locally ill definitly buy one from you :)

#207 ·
Jaggedfury

Hey Jaggedfury,

This is pretty good stuff. Looks like you spend good amount of time doing these nice researches. My tank is not rightly setup for plantedone or else i would give that a shot.

By the way, FYI, I have ordered that FX5 filter, I am expecting that to arrive in about couple of weeks. Will let you know how it works out once I get it.

Thanks

#208 ·
Hey Jaggedfury,

This is pretty good stuff. Looks like you spend good amount of time doing these nice researches. My tank is not rightly setup for plantedone or else i would give that a shot.

By the way, FYI, I have ordered that FX5 filter, I am expecting that to arrive in about couple of weeks. Will let you know how it works out once I get it.

Thanks
Thanks. Yepp, Works great. Do give it a shot if you ever go into planted tank. Even if it doesn't require co2, co2 will help promote growth faster. As you know, it's pretty cheap to rig one up. Doesn't take up alot of room. Definitely keep me updated on the Fx5, you went with the right choice.

#210 ·
I will give the the place a call tomorrow and see how if they can order several of them. I should have clarified, the Ada on/off with the pressure gauge was $11.61. If I can get more I will ship them out if people want. If there would be an interest I would be willing to buy the individual parts and assemble them. In that case it would be whatever the cost of parts would be, plus shipping. I will know more tomorrow on the Ada valve. It looks like a few people might be interested, if you would be just let me know in this thread. I only get 25 pm's, so my box fills up quickly. Anyone know how to get that increased?

#211 ·
A quick couple of questions for you guys. I'd really like to use this approach for my 65g tank--so far my method of DIY (a couple of 2 liter bottles) will only change my drop checker to a light shade of blue....

Would a paintball setup be big enough for a 65g tank? Right now the cost of a full size CO2 tank with a regulator, solenoid, etc. is a bit much.

Where do you all get your paintball tanks refilled? Where I live the only place that even sells tanks is Wally World---let alone refills them. There have been a couple of attempted paintball businesses over the years, but they end up going out of business in a relatively short period of time.

#212 ·
Tank refill can be done at a lot of places some hobby stores, sporting good stores (dicks, gender mountain), otherwise look in your phone book for gas companies (welding, beverage,) party rental places. Paintball stuff, check ebay, Craigslist, or there have been a few links in this thread. As for a 65 gallon tank, sure you can do it I would buy a spare tank, so you can swap and not have to fill ASAP. I know others will chime in with other info, and they know a lot more than I do. I'm just starting out myself, but this thread is awesome

#213 ·
This setup I came up with will work the same way as a standard co2 tank with regulator and etc that runs we'll over a few hundred bucks. It's just that you will have to refill much more often than those 2lb or 5lb + standard co2 tanks. But refill is roughly less than $5 dollars for a Paintball Co2 24oz tank depending on where you take it to.

I believed, your local fire station will refill it for you. Just as if they were refilling standard 2lbs + tanks. I do know that a fire station west of town here, will refill paintball co2 tank if you have a quick fill adapter piece on it to work with the standard tank refilling system nozzle.

I get mines refilled at a local paintball store in town.

#219 ·
Sorry for the delay in posting, I was waiting to hear back from the manager. He is willing to order as many of the valves as I need, for $11.00 each. With tax it came to $11.61. From what MArk said, as long as the items are in stock (we can verify before we order) they should be available for me to pick up next week. My thought is, I would try and get a count, and place the order on Friday. That way if people are interested, they have two days to get back to me. Once they are in, I will pick them up, and ship them out to the people that are interested. I believe USPS priority flat mail is $6.00 as long as it fits in the box. I don't see any reason it won't fit, but I will stop and check for sure. I'll ask for the price to ship to east coast and west coast.

Jaggedfury, I have to stop at Home Depot tonight, so I will get prices on each item I bought, so we have a rough idea on cost, at least here in WI.

For the people who sent PM's, I will reply later tonight when I get home, and have the itemized prices. If there is an interest, I would be willing to pick up some needle valves as well, and ship them together. Just let me know, and we can work something out payment wise. I'm just trying to help my fellow PTN members out.

#224 ·
Haha, What you rolling in. I have several sport cars and my twin turbos will leave you in the dust 10 + car lenghts behind! Boosting low right now, would like to at least get in the ball part of another 100-120 hp and about 50-70 more torque by the end December.

#225 ·
a got a mustang gt completely forged twin turbo i have two different sizes so i'm pretty much always have boost haha. i don't really pay too much attention to hp/tq anymore. i think i put too much into my car. haha i love having it as a sleeper too. specially when i smoke the cocky sports bikes at a rolling start haha. but i have to say ever since i got my sports bike my car seems boring bikes are so much more fun.

#227 ·
After seeing a photo of the Burst Disc on the Co2 Paintball tank, I have to state that do make sure the Burst Disc is tighten all the way. I noticed a few members sending me their setups and the Burst Disc varies from one person to another person's setup.

Only time you should check for tightness of the Burst Disc is when the tank is FULLY empty where all pressure is lost. Or else, it will shoot like crazy when your loosing it/tightening it.

If your cautious of this, you can ask the refill station clerk to check the Burst Disc before you fill up to make the tighten adjustment.

#231 ·
So far so good, but I just made the switch from DIY last night, so I will get back to you. At first trying to set the needle valve using just the "T" was tough, so I decided to clip a pair of forceps to it, and make the adjustments that way. I was able to make much smaller adjustments having the longer handle. Then when I was done, I took them off.

#234 ·
I closed mine off entirely, and adjusted them both, but that's just me. I just counted the turns as I closed it that way I knew how far to open it after the tank change. I'm sure you can do it the other way but I will try it out with the new setup, before I hook it up to the tank.

#233 ·
UPDATED "JAGGEDFURY" DIY PAINTBALL PRICING

I wanted to put this in it's own post, so the people who are interested see it. I stopped at Home Depot last night, and bought everything I needed to make a new setup (adding one to my 37 gallon), that way I had current prices as well. As I said, I can order more of the tank adapters, I just need to know how many to order. With tax it was $11.61, so I thought that was pretty good.

Paintball Adapter - $11.00
Needle Valve - $4.99
20' of Vinyl tubing (CO2 safe) $2.69
Teflon Tape - $.99
24 Oz CO2 tank (Dunhams) - $21.99
24 Oz CO2 Fill - (Hobby Town - $4.50

Total - $45.16 ***** I could have found the tank cheaper, but I had a coupon for 15% off******

#236 ·
UPDATED "JAGGEDFURY" DIY PAINTBALL PRICING

I wanted to put this in it's own post, so the people who are interested see it. I stopped at Home Depot last night, and bought everything I needed to make a new setup (adding one to my 37 gallon), that way I had current prices as well. As I said, I can order more of the tank adapters, I just need to know how many to order. With tax it was $11.61, so I thought that was pretty good.

Paintball Adapter - $11.00
Needle Valve - $4.99
20' of Vinyl tubing (CO2 safe) $2.69
Teflon Tape - $.99
24 Oz CO2 tank (Dunhams) - $21.99
24 Oz CO2 Fill - (Hobby Town - $4.50

Total - $45.16 ***** I could have found the tank cheaper, but I had a coupon for 15% off******
Awesome. Let me how many people actually orders it. When I started on this thread, I didn't think this setup would be useful to people lol. Very cool that some people are changing over from DIY yeast system to this.

As far as adjusting the needle valve. I would closed off the needle valve first, then tighten your upper valve on the On/Off ASA Paintball valve ontop which will release all the co2 gas in that chamber, then go ahead and fine tune your needle valve to the right amount of co2 gasing coming out. Remember "Fine Tune" don't mean crank that needle valve "T" arm more than 1/4'' of a turn. If you're releasing the Needle valve arm too much, the co2 air hose will blows off. A tiny little bit of adjustment, goes a long way.

UPDATE: A few weeks and counting... gauge still reads a little well over 800, not quite on the dot of 800psi. But it did drop from 850psi. I maybe looking at a 6 + months before refill ($4.00), for under $50 dollar complete setup or less! Can't beat that! =)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.