The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Welcome to the Jungle: 55 gallon Rainbowfish haven & more. (New Pics! 03-20-13)
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
Welcome to the Jungle: 55 gallon Rainbowfish haven & more. (New Pics! 03-20-13)

FTS timeline, a work in progress... (original post continues below)

The tank as of 7-15-10:

The tank as of 7-26-10:

The tank as of 8-04-10:

The tank as of 8-17-10:

The tank as of 8-30-10:

The tank as of 10-22-10:

The tank as of 11-8-10:

The tank as of 3-14-11:

The tank as of 3-31-11:

The tank as of 4-19-11:

The tank as of 7-10-11:

The tank as of 10-26-11:

The tank as of 12-11-11:

The tank as of 1-23-12:

The tank as of 2-10-12:

The tank as of 6-8-12:

The tank as of 6-15-12:

The tank as of 2-5-13:

The tank as of 3-20-13:

Videos: (original post continues below)

Feeding Time (4/8/11):

After learning a lot regarding planted tanks from reading here, and caring for my 5 gallon nano, the time has finally come for a bigger tank (and the largest tank I have ever had)- 55 gallons!

I have been working for the past month or so on acquiring equipment, planning out a planting scheme, choosing potential fauna/flora, and preparing my hardscape (soaking driftwood, primarily.) I started off with a used tank that I partially resealed, before getting a deal that I couldn't pass up on a new one. Some of my other equipment came used along with the tank as a package deal, the rest has been bought piecemeal from this place and that. As of now, my plants were shipped yesterday, and should be arriving tomorrow. I figured this was a good time to finally start this journal

Equipment-wise, this is what I have:
  • 55 gallon Aqueon tank
  • Perfecto pine stand and "matching" wooden canopy (looks like this was hand-made)
  • Glass tank covers
  • SunSun 303B canister filter
  • 300w Hydor ETH in-line heater
  • 48" Coralife T-5 fixture (one 6500k bulb, one "Colormax"- 56w total)
  • 36" Perfecto flourescent strip with new 6500k 30w T-8 bulb
  • Air pump rated for 30-60g (don't remember brand, came with my original used tank) and 10" bubble wand
  • Coralife 3-way timer and power strip
I am going to run the two light fixtures on a dawn-day-dusk sort of cycle. At the moment, I am planning on a 12 hour photoperiod overall, with 3 hours of the 30w T-8, 6 hours of the T-8 and T-5, and another 3 hours of just the T-8. My reasoning behind this is that I want to have a longer viewing time for the tank, without having too much light. I may also go with a 10 hour period if 12 turns out to be too much, keeping the same 6 hour period of full light. I think I will be fine though. The air pump will come on at lights off, and turn back off when the lights come on.

For substrate, I have 100lbs of Eco-Complete. I am going to be dosing Excel daily, and have a simple list of ferts that I plan to use. I have Flourish Comprehensive, and I also ordered the "Simple Solution" from Pfertz (their N liquid, and root tabs.) I will place root tabs in the substrate, and plan to dose N twice weekly (Monday/Friday,) and Flourish once weekly (Wednesday.)

These are the plants I have on the way. I already have a large portion of Christmas Moss.
  • Cryptocoryne Crispulata
  • Cryptocoryne Wendtii "Red"
  • Cryptocoryne Wendtii "Green"
  • Echinodorus Rubin (Red Rubin)
  • Crinum Calamistratum
  • Java Fern (Microsorium Pteropus)
  • Anubias Barteri Var. Coffeefolia
  • Anubias Barteri Var. Nana
  • Sagittaria Subulata (Dwarf)
  • Ceratopteris Thalictroides ( Water Sprite )
  • Bacopa Caroliniana
  • Rotala Indica (Rotala Rotundifolia)
I have some branches of manzanita that will go on the right side of the tank, which is where the Java Fern and Christmas Moss will go (one of the branches has a large flat portion of trunk attached to it, which is where the majority of the moss will go to create a moss foreground.) I have another piece of driftwood, a gnarled looking small log, which will go on the left and will have the Anubias on it. Dwarf Sag will take up the left corner and part of the foreground, the Red Rubin, Crypt Crispulata, and Crinum Calamistratum will serve as background, and the stems and Crypt Wendtii will fill the rest of the tank.

For fauna, this is what I plan:
  • Bosemani Rainbows, 6
  • Panda Cories, 8
  • Otos, 8-10
  • Zebra Nerites, ~10
  • Tiger Barbs, 12-15, OR Serpae Tetras, 15-20
As you can see I am still undecided on what fish I will use for my "small fish school." I am leaning somewhat towards Tiger Barbs as I have kept them before and liked them. Either fish are somewhat agressive, hence the plan to keep them in a largish school. Both look similar enough to give the same impact in the tank. It may just end up falling to whichever I can get from healthier stock. Either way I go, I plan on adding them last to further help reduce their agressiveness, as the other fish will have already established themselves and "staked out their turf" so to say

Of course, what journal entry would be complete without pics? Here are a few of the tank and jumble of equipment before I started organizing it, as well as my driftwood and moss:

These are the most recent pics, from a few days ago. I did all of the plumbing for the filter and heater, and placed the lights in place (for now.) I still need to make a little shelf for the air pump to sit on.

I will take more photos of the planting tomorrow, as well as a FTS! Then, I plan to let the plants acclimate themselves for a bit (probably at least a week,) before I start looking into getting some fish. The tank will be planted heavily enough that I shouldn't have to worry about cycling

Last edited by Chaos_Being; 03-20-2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Updated title
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome