The Planted Tank Forum banner

A New Nutrient Calculator

8K views 54 replies 13 participants last post by  kisanjong 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all

Some of you are probably aware that flores aka rotalabutterfly aka wet (rota.la) passed a few months back and after speaking to a few people about wets calculator it seems the code is outdated and difficult to update without rewriting a lot of it?

I have managed to get the calculator up and running at http://rotalabutterfly.com but not being a ruby on rails programmer and after talking to people it seems the best option was to get a team together to create a modern version using a different language, PHP was the answer I kept getting.

So a month or so later we are getting closer to a usable version that needs beta testers, if you are interested in testing the new calculator ( http://rotalabutterfly.com/test/ ) and had good knowledge of the original one ( http://yanc.rotalabutterfly.com ) then please join us at

https://github.com/kisanjong/rotalabutterfly

If your not able to help but have any comments or ideas please reply to this post, the more input the better

Thanks

kisanjong - Jason

See less See more
#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
hmm, I took a quick look and that's not how I would set it up. You also got rid of the language localization.

Follow how Wet set up the logic, model-view-controller. The data is separate from the logic, and the view or how it's drawn to the browser. That way, you can make changes easily or change language easily. You combined everything into Javascript which is not the way to go.

You need to let php do the work and only use JS to show or hide content.

Also labeling urea as toxic is misleading. It's only toxic at a certain concentration like all of the elements.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Follow how Wet set up the logic, model-view-controller. The data is separate from the logic, and the view or how it's drawn to the browser. That way, you can make changes easily or change language easily. You combined everything into Javascript which is not the way to go.

You need to let php do the work and only use JS to show or hide content.
The data is still separate and at this time still calls wets original yaml files from folders containing constants, compounds, methods, i18n etc.

The frontend is JavaScript and calls are made to the backend php.

kisanjong - Jason

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
So, some general feedback/wishlist here after tinkering with it for a bit, some of which is inherited from Wet's original calculator... Thus far looks like a good start.

Issues specific to the test calculator, most of which is probably due to the beta nature and may already be well known to you:

1) Computing "Result of my dose" doesn't seem to work yet... (this is a beta, so not too surprising)

2) Computing "Dose to reach target" doesn't allow non-integer ppm's... I often target in 0.1 ppm increments for things like Iron, and 0.5 increments for PO4.

3) Computing EI for Millers microplex results in a rather cryptic toxicity warning:

"toxic cu,163,Miller's MicroPlex,1.06,grams"

I'm guessing that means Cu is toxic at 0.163ppm, which would be provided by 1.06 grams of Microplex in my 36 gallon tank, but the dose to reach EI Iron levels is 1.70 grams. (which results in 0.187ppm Cu.

Wishlist things that were issues in Wet's calculator:

1) It has always bothered me that micronutrient mixes like millers and CSM+B are only regarded as iron supplements when being used to calculate dosing. I'd love to be able to do things like calculate "dose to reach a target" on nutrients other than just iron. So a picker that lets you change the target nutrient would be helpful.

2) I'd love to have something like barr's gh booster added to DIY, particularly if you could target it based on dGH... (3 parts K2SO4, 3 parts CaSO4, 1 part MgSO4).

3) Calculations targeting MgSO4/CaSO4 to ppm of Mg/Ca or dGH would also be nice.

#16 ·
Hi all

Just an update to say Aquarium Nutrient Calculator has now been updated to version 1.2 and this includes some extra compounds, tsp measurments and the Nutrient Accumulation addon.

Enjoy
Jason

Bump: For anyone that would like to see more compounds added and can provide the information for these or can provide a language translation then please let us know.

Thanks
After fooling around with this for just a couple of minutes I give this a big thumbs up. Great information.

#19 ·
Hi All

Whats next?

We want to add more features

Co2 calculator
Drop-checker liquid calculator
Tank size calculator
Multiple-dosing calculations
Etc...

To decide on which feature should come next.. Well thats up to you to decide, the one with the most votes wins :)

You have a feature that you would like to see? Tell us.

Thanks

#21 ·
Hi,
There is a problem when we select:

400 L
K2SO4
A Solution
500 ml
10 ml
Perpetual Preservation System
Auto
Click Calculate, this comes up:

To reach your target of 1.33ppm K you will need to add 59.28 grams (equivalent to 3 tbsp + 2 tsp + 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp + 1/16 tsp + 1/32 tsp ) of K2SO4 to your 500mL dosing container. Add 10mL of that mix to your 400L aquarium to yield:
Element ppm/degree
K 1.33
S 0.55
We have calculated for a PPS-Pro daily dose. The recommended range below is for a stabilized mature tank.
WARNING: The solubility of K at room temperature is 120. You should adjust your dose.

The daily PPS-Pro addition of 1.33 ppm K is made of KNO3 and K2SO. Therefore the suggested 59.28 g of K2SO4 is wrong. Consequently the Warning message pops up as a result of incorrect procedure. Is there a way to fix it?

Edward PPS

#24 ·
Hi,

There is a problem when we select:

400 L

K2SO4

A Solution

500 ml

10 ml

Perpetual Preservation System

Auto

Click Calculate, this comes up:

To reach your target of 1.33ppm K you will need to add 59.28 grams (equivalent to 3 tbsp + 2 tsp + 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp + 1/16 tsp + 1/32 tsp ) of K2SO4 to your 500mL dosing container. Add 10mL of that mix to your 400L aquarium to yield:

Elementppm/degree

K1.33

S0.55

We have calculated for a PPS-Pro daily dose. The recommended range below is for a stabilized mature tank.

WARNING: The solubility of K at room temperature is 120. You should adjust your dose.

The daily PPS-Pro addition of 1.33 ppm K is made of KNO3 and K2SO. Therefore the suggested 59.28 g of K2SO4 is wrong. Consequently the Warning message pops up as a result of incorrect procedure. Is there a way to fix it?

Edward PPS

Thank you for your report, I will check the results tomorrow, but keep in mind that if you select K2SO4 as compound to dose, the calculator will give you the amount of that specific compound to add to your solution to reach your target of 1.33ppm. KNO3 is a different compound.

#38 ·
Oh yes, it helps indeed. Unfortunately I don't have the needed knowledge on chemical compounds, and I based the calculations on what Wet left us. All what you wrote makes sense, and I will rectify that calculation.

We have asked for feedback right because we can't verify everything and because, mostly, the math involved is not simple to figure out if there is lack of chemical knowledge (like in my case). I can assure though that we are doing our best to make it work right.

Thanks again.

#40 · (Edited)
No worries Audionut. I appreciate your help on the math of all this, we really needed someone understanding better than us! Appreciated :)

@Edward: I have added B and Mo to the Plant-Prod Chelated Mix as defined on this page:

http://www.plantprod.com/product/plant-prod-chelated-micronutrient-mix/

But it looks like the definitions for EDTA and DTPA are different by the ones we have on file. On that web page they sate 42% EDTA and 14% DTPA whereas in original Wet's calculator is defined 50% EDTA and 20% DTPA. Which value is the correct one??!

#46 ·
That looks fine. I updated some other dry mixes in the original patch here.

Feature request: When using some product that contains various nutrients, for instance Flourish Comprehensive contains N, P, K, Fe, etc, it would be handy if the feature "Relative range of your dose of" allowed the user to target a specific nutrient. Currently if using Flourish Comprehensive, this feature is fixed on Fe.

Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.