The Planted Tank Forum banner

PH Drop

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Crs2fr 
#1 ·
City water, is about an 8.5...i tank was below 5... i've been doing 15% water changes for about 2 days now and got the ph back to 6.5 last night before i went to bed. Got up this morning and checked it again, back down by 5.. grrrr:help: i'm thinking back, and the last guy i got was the royal line pleaco. He will eat up drift wood like no one's business. I have a huge stump in my tank.. he's cleaned this thing up brand new. Could this stump that he's eating on be leaching #@%# into the water?.. is this causing the dramatic drop in my ph?... .

i bet it is.. but want to make sure~

thanks guys

chris

#2 ·
I recently have been having similar issues except my ph would drop down to 4 within a matter of hours. It could be possible that the wood is contributing but I have never had wood cause the water to get that acidic.

I never quite figured out what was causing the drop but I fixed it by buying one of those white calcium rocks at petco and hiding it under my driftwood.

#3 ·
Yeah I'm not really pointing the finger that the wood.. but very puzzled.... i've turned off the C02 completely, and will continue to do 15% water changes every day till this is resolved. awww i also remember taking out a bunch of plants when i changed up the appearance. hhmm i bet that could of thrown it off.. no more plants = less oxygen...

My ph test was coming up orange if that says anything. .but no fish loss at all~

i might toss in an air stone to put a little more 02 in the water~

(and becuase of the trip for my new fish, he was beatup in tranfer, and now has a bit of fin rot~.. The acidic water doesnt help either.. )..

chris

#4 ·
stabilized at 5.0... i started to agitate the water a little more and by doing that adding oxygen to the mix!... hopefully by this weekend i should be back to normal.. i'll be doing more waterchanges along the way!

#5 ·
Heh, I have the opposite problem - I'm adding PH Down to my fish tank daily and the PH still manages to go back to like 7.2-7.6

Tap water here is also alkaline but I treat it before I add it to the tank

#8 ·
lol... man.. because.. its like orange.. .. this morning, its now a shade of yellow.. its sitting at 5. Why would you say its irrelevant? you know something i dont boobie~.. (snach reference)

#10 ·
i started that last night. I've raised my intake above the top of the water to create agitation. I'm hoping this will bring the ph down. I do have a ph controller sitting in a box, just waiting to afford the regulator.`

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.