The Planted Tank Forum banner

Will Osmocote plus tabs increase nitrites?

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Teebo 
#1 ·
My nitrites were fine before adding the osmocote plus root tabs. But since adding them to the substrate, I can't keep my nitrites down!. I'm doing 25% water changes every day, but it's not working. Any advise from the experienced would be appreciated.

#5 ·
Definitely correct. If they rise to the surface or not far enough it will leech ammonia and can cause a mini cycle. Took me forever to figure that out in my old tank that was running super high nitrates and registered nitrites often.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Great to hear these things. Means I was correct in just using the beads as they come out of that bottle they come in. They do not loat so I use a tweezers to push then into the sub around any plant that I want them to fert.

#7 ·
Raymond~I have 5 amano shrimp and a few red cherry shrimp in the tank. The only other thing I did was put two small pieces of submerged drift wood, that I got from a lake.

Bump: I put five (1 near each root feeder) tabs in the tank which is the aqueon evolve 8. Doesn't sound like much to me, but I'm new to all of this, so I could be wrong.

#9 ·
If the OP does not mind I would like to pick at this topic again. I am also having this issues where my bacteria can not keep up with nitrites. I recently added about 10 or less pieces of Osmocote Plus into my riparium style hanging planter between the clay substrate, is this in line with the OP's issue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.