Benefits of manganese? - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 151
Benefits of manganese?

I have some MnSO4 and can't find any info as to how to dose this and when. I do EI dosing on my 55 gal and can't find this specific fert on any of the calculators out there. Does anyone know how much (in tsp) and how often I should dose this? And on what day, micro or macro?
kroner19 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
mrkookm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroner19 View Post
I have some MnSO4 and can't find any info as to how to dose this and when. I do EI dosing on my 55 gal and can't find this specific fert on any of the calculators out there. Does anyone know how much (in tsp) and how often I should dose this? And on what day, micro or macro?
This is a trace element and not something you dose like you do other ferts. My suggestion is for you wait until you have more experience before you even begin to mess with this.




The Junkie
mrkookm is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 151
Ok, but how much more experienced does one need to be to dose this? My plants are doing great. I have my CO2 all figured out, my dosing regimen down to a T, my photoperiod is as long as I know I can get away with. I have very little, if any algae in my tank. Right now I think I'm getting pretty good with this whole planted tank life style. So why not add another trace element and see if I can get even better results. I mean, why would even offer this as a fertilizer if no one is going to use it? Theres got to be some benefit to adding some MnSO4 to the tank I just can't find much info on it (besides what deficiencies to look for that are the result of low Mn) or a fert calc that has it as one of the choices.

If anyone else knows some more about this trace element I would love to hear about it. Or if someone knows how my much I should dose and how often please feel free to chime in.

Thanks,

Mike
kroner19 is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
happi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,914
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
hi mike,

i use extra Mn in my own fertilizer, look at my signature for the benefits of the fert i worked on. you can calculate it at http://calc.petalphile.com/ and its called MnSO4.H2O

Mn is used in higher amount after Fe IMO in aquatic plants, however just like iron it is not very stable, soon as you add it to the tank it might be undetectable by end of the day. that is why dosing traces everyday is better than dosing 3x week.
happi is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
latchdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Paso Robles, Ca
Posts: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroner19 View Post
Ok, but how much more experienced does one need to be to dose this? My plants are doing great. I have my CO2 all figured out, my dosing regimen down to a T, my photoperiod is as long as I know I can get away with. I have very little, if any algae in my tank. Right now I think I'm getting pretty good with this whole planted tank life style. So why not add another trace element and see if I can get even better results. I mean, why would even offer this as a fertilizer if no one is going to use it? Theres got to be some benefit to adding some MnSO4 to the tank I just can't find much info on it (besides what deficiencies to look for that are the result of low Mn) or a fert calc that has it as one of the choices.

If anyone else knows some more about this trace element I would love to hear about it. Or if someone knows how my much I should dose and how often please feel free to chime in.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike from my understanding, Manganese is already in your water supply along with calcium and magnesium. You may not need to dose it anyway.

If you are using RO water and using some type of GH buffer Mn is supplied that way as well. The way I see it, if your not seeing deficientcies and the tank looks good why bother.
latchdan is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
happi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,914
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by latchdan View Post
Mike from my understanding, Manganese is already in your water supply along with calcium and magnesium. You may not need to dose it anyway.

If you are using RO water and using some type of GH buffer Mn is supplied that way as well. The way I see it, if your not seeing deficientcies and the tank looks good why bother.
he is talking about Mn (manganese), not Mg (magnesium). Gh booster does not contain Mn.

happi is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 01:03 AM
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto/Singapore
Posts: 10,178
I share the same confusion that some other users have; why are you trying to dose manganese (Mn) into your aquarium?

A good trace mix, such as CSM+B, will already contain the necessary amount of manganese.

If you are dosing for sulfates, potassium sulfate is a much better chemical to use.

Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:28 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
latchdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Paso Robles, Ca
Posts: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
he is talking about Mn (manganese), not Mg (magnesium). Gh booster does not contain Mn.

The gh booster I use contains manganese (seachem equilibrium) I checked before I
posted. I figured other brands did too. I'm not confusing magnesium with manganese for both are in seachems gh buffer
latchdan is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 05:31 AM
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto/Singapore
Posts: 10,178
According to Seachem's website, the amount of manganese in their Equilibrium buffer is 0.06%

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...uilibrium.html

For comparison, the amount of manganese in CSM+B is 1.87%, which more than meets the needs of plants.

In either case though, manganese is really only needed in trace amounts; you are likely to notice other deficiencies before a manganese deficiency.

Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
happi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,914
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by latchdan View Post
The gh booster I use contains manganese (seachem equilibrium) I checked before I
posted. I figured other brands did too. I'm not confusing magnesium with manganese for both are in seachems gh buffer
sorry i thought you were using Tom barr GH booster.
happi is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
mrkookm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroner19 View Post
Ok, but how much more experienced does one need to be to dose this? My plants are doing great. I have my CO2 all figured out, my dosing regimen down to a T, my photoperiod is as long as I know I can get away with. I have very little, if any algae in my tank. Right now I think I'm getting pretty good with this whole planted tank life style. So why not add another trace element and see if I can get even better results. I mean, why would even offer this as a fertilizer if no one is going to use it? Theres got to be some benefit to adding some MnSO4 to the tank I just can't find much info on it (besides what deficiencies to look for that are the result of low Mn) or a fert calc that has it as one of the choices.

If anyone else knows some more about this trace element I would love to hear about it. Or if someone knows how my much I should dose and how often please feel free to chime in.

Thanks,

Mike

Let us know how much more healthy your plants grow after adding this. Before and after pics would be great too.




The Junkie
mrkookm is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
HD Blazingwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,907
i added it to my CSM+b + chelated iron mix just for fun
i noticed no better growth results, color, or size
HD Blazingwolf is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
mrkookm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
i added it to my CSM+b + chelated iron mix just for fun
i noticed no better growth results, color, or size
Too many factors




The Junkie
mrkookm is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,261
Mn is actually lower in csm than other mixes.
Jeffww is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
HD Blazingwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkookm View Post
Too many factors
This is under the impression plants actually need more of it?
i overdose trace elements as it is.. dont really have much of a growth issue.
my blyxa took over my 75 in two weeks. my ludiwiga cuba is growing about 3 inches per week
ludwigia repens has side shoots everywhere. i can't count its growth rate like that
ludwigia red. is 2 inches per week at 2 inches above substrate
at 12 inches above substrate it was about 3 inches per week and lots of side shoots
rotala colorata is close to 5 inches per week
HD Blazingwolf is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome