Dry Ferts, Dosing, Plant Growth & Stunned Algae Growth - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 07:28 AM
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto/Singapore
Posts: 10,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdu View Post
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like i dont need it yet. Are there any ways to soften the water instead of harden/boost it? (aside from water changes from tap / RO/DI water).
No, that really is the only (practical) way.

I guess the alternative is to move to a location that has softer water.

Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
nickdu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 162
I cant wait for those phosphates to come in! My plants will hopefully grow well.
nickdu is offline  
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
herns's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,209
Re: Dry Ferts, Dosing, Plant Growth & Stunned Algae Growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdu View Post
Mono Potassium Phosphate has already been ordered waiting for it's arrival next week.



Is it practical to try using water from the drinking water stations as they have undergone a good stage of filtration so i'm sure there is nothing dissolved as much in the water which will make it softer i assume?

I am also wondering if using the drinking water will help tetras or tiger barbs mate and spawn? I know there are other things involved, but this will help? any idea?
Good question on the second pharagraph.
I have a friend who does that, using drinking station water to do pwc every 2 weeks. He has good growth on plants.
Water shops uses RO. I've seen one close to my place and they have excellent stages of filtration.

Sent from HTC One device using Tapatalk2
herns is offline  
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
nickdu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 162
So my KH2PO4 came in. I was wondering how much i should start off dosing?

I mixed ~2.25mL of KH2PO4 into a 75mL solution of water. Taken from the ratio suggested in link below "mix 7.2 grams or 1.5 teaspoons or 0.50 tablespoons into 250 ml of water":
http://www.rexgrigg.com/dosing.htm

Given that... it says 1mL of the solution doses "0.53 ppm of PO4 in 10 gallons of water". I have a 40 gallon tank. and my Nitrates showed between 80-100. Does that mean i need to get 10ppm phosphates in the water? that's a lot of dosing? no?
nickdu is offline  
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto/Singapore
Posts: 10,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdu View Post
So my KH2PO4 came in. I was wondering how much i should start off dosing?

I mixed ~2.25mL of KH2PO4 into a 75mL solution of water. Taken from the ratio suggested in link below "mix 7.2 grams or 1.5 teaspoons or 0.50 tablespoons into 250 ml of water":
http://www.rexgrigg.com/dosing.htm

Given that... it says 1mL of the solution doses "0.53 ppm of PO4 in 10 gallons of water". I have a 40 gallon tank. and my Nitrates showed between 80-100. Does that mean i need to get 10ppm phosphates in the water? that's a lot of dosing? no?
I would first try to lower those nitrate levels (to say 20 ppm or lower, preferably) before dosing your phosphates.

Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline  
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,609
Nick, Sac tap water is extremely soft.
American river water basically.
A few areas might get other source, but not likely.
East up 50/80, same deal, super soft, you need GH booster.

Do a large water change, say 60-70%, then dose after.

Most of the issues once you add ferts: CO2.

Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline  
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Nick, Sac tap water is extremely soft.
American river water basically.
A few areas might get other source, but not likely.
East up 50/80, same deal, super soft, you need GH booster.

Do a large water change, say 60-70%, then dose after.

Most of the issues once you add ferts: CO2.
So true, i live in folsom, i think we share same if not similar water. Although API test kits aren't accurate, fact that they change after the first drop for testing GH and KH leads me to believe I have very soft water.
puopg is offline  
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by puopg View Post
So true, i live in folsom, i think we share same if not similar water. Although API test kits aren't accurate, fact that they change after the first drop for testing GH and KH leads me to believe I have very soft water.
San Juan Water district, same water.
Super soft, RO like.

Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline  
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Hoppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 20,554
When I lived in the county of Sacramento, the Arden-Arcade district, not the city, much of the water supply came from wells, scattered over that water district. My water then was much harder than it is now. I hate Seachem Equilibrium, so I quit using it. I think I need to buy a different GH bulder and see if that makes a difference in my low light tank.

Hoppy
Hoppy is offline  
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
nickdu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 162
What is the proper gH for a planted tank?
nickdu is offline  
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
micheljq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Quebec
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdu View Post
What is the proper gH for a planted tank?
Hello, I will try to answer. If I am mistaken please correct me.

Not sure there is a proper GH, depends on what kind of plants you have. Some will grow better in soft water, some will prefer hard water.

As for me, my tap water is soft (GH of 2-3). I have 2 little calcareaous rocks in my 65G tank, that make the GH go higher (now it is at 6), for 2 reasons.

If the GH is not too soft (at least 3), there should be enough calcium and magnesium in the water for most plants, it is commonly belived.
If the GH is not too soft, the risk of pH fluctuations is less risky.

Forgive my english, it is not my native language.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.
micheljq is offline  
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
latchdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Paso Robles, Ca
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheljq View Post
Hello, I will try to answer. If I am mistaken please correct me.

Not sure there is a proper GH, depends on what kind of plants you have. Some will grow better in soft water, some will prefer hard water.

As for me, my tap water is soft (GH of 2-3). I have 2 little calcareaous rocks in my 65G tank, that make the GH go higher (now it is at 6), for 2 reasons.

If the GH is not too soft (at least 3), there should be enough calcium and magnesium in the water for most plants, it is commonly belived.
If the GH is not too soft, the risk of pH fluctuations is less risky.

Forgive my english, it is not my native language.

Michel.
KH determines the buffering capabilities of the ph not GH. But everything else seems right. You also may want harder water if you have snails or other inverts because they need more calcium for their shells.
I wish I lived where there was soft water. Just moved and my gh is 17 out of the tap and kh is 13. Waiting on RO water is a pain.

Last edited by latchdan; 02-25-2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: typo
latchdan is offline  
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
nickdu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 162
As far as dosing the Macro & Micro Mix i have, do i still need to dose if my nitrate levels are high enough or should i only dose when the levels get too low? Or does it not have anything to do with nitrates?
nickdu is offline  
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdu View Post
What is the proper gH for a planted tank?
I add about 1 teaspoon per 50-60 Gal of tank 1-2x a week of GH booster from Aquariumfertilizer.com

This seems fine for the most demanding plants.
I suppose I could add more, but it's not likely a limiting factor.

Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline  
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
happi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,952
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I add about 1 teaspoon per 50-60 Gal of tank 1-2x a week of GH booster from Aquariumfertilizer.com

This seems fine for the most demanding plants.
I suppose I could add more, but it's not likely a limiting factor.
Tom i thought your water already have a GH from tap
happi is offline  
Reply

Tags
algae, dry ferts, water parameters

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome