Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wilmington, DE, USA/Philly, PA
The amount of shock your plants undergo depends on how they were grown last.
Most 'farms' grow the plants 'emmersed' or partially out of the water. This causes the plant to take on different characteristics and, as a result, will shock no matter what water/tank it goes into.
If you are maintaining the proper setup (CO2, Filtration, Light, Ferts...). The plant may very well shock, but I have not had a plant that totally shut down and died.
If you are dealing with heavily rooted/bulb plants like tiger lotus, crypts, etc...the leaves could very well "melt"...this is totally natural. Do not dig it up or remove the plant. Let it go and it will begin to sprout new leaves.