Coralife Freshwater 4x 65W 6700K Light
2x Eheim 2217
1x 1600 GPH JBJ Circulation Pump

Water Parameters
6.8 pH
0 ppm Amonia
0 ppm Nitrite
0 ppm Nitrate

(Last time I checked water hardness it was 3-4. New test kit on order.)

Dosing Flourish and Flourish Excel.
- Missing Macros (I know this now)

So I want to be sure I have all my bases covered...

Steps Completed
1. I have decreased my lighting period from 12 to 8 hours on 11/14/2012
2. I have ordered a pressurized CO2 setup from Green Leaf Aquariums. (Thanks Orlando!)
3. I have stopped dosing micro for now.

What Else?
Based on those plants, what do you see missing? (except CO2)

Appreciate any insight into my issues.

I am not new to the freshwater fish hobby, just relatively new to high-tech planted tanks. By no means am I an expert, just seasoned.

Before this I had a low-tech freshwater tank without problems for a few years. Before that it was just fish only tanks.

Thanks again!

See less See more
#3 ·
Lack of CO2 is what stands out the most to me. IMO, that amount of light with no CO2 just isn't going to work. The plants will suffer and algae will flourish. I would cut the light in half, based on my own personal experience, you'll be able to grow most any plant you want with 2x65 unless of course you have them raised a bit above the tank. What I would do is once you get your CO2 set up cut the light in half, remove the algae infested leaves, spot treat the infested hard scape with Excel, begin EI dosing. Set up your water movement in some sort of pattern so you're getting movement throughout the tank and not just a lot of random currents. A circular pattern along the length of the tank works well for me. Maintain good surface agitation for oxygenation which benefits every organism in the tank. After you've mastered that amount of light in combination with CO2 and your plants are growing and healthy and algae isn't a problem then try more light if you think it's needed.

#4 ·
Set up your water movement in some sort of pattern so you're getting movement throughout the tank and not just a lot of random currents. A circular pattern along the length of the tank works well for me.
Thanks! Now that I have the two Eheim filters online, I have a Right to Left river current. I get uniform movement of water which will be great for circulation and the loaches love it!

I have the circulation pump midway up the side pointed at the surface, this is providing great surface movement.

I cut the lights to only run 2x65. This will also help as it lets them run cooler.

After CO2 is added, I will let the tank run for 2 weeks without changing anything else.

What is the best way to spot treat with Excel?

How many leaves can I cut off without killing the plant?

Thanks again!

#11 ·
For your tank 1 BPS is a good place to start. You won't see much change in pH and the drop checker will stay blue but letting the critters get used to CO2 slowly is a good idea. Then increase the CO2 every few days watching the fish closely. The first week of setting the CO2 is hard as you aren't seeing much in the way of a pH drop but better to go slow and never see CO2 overdosed fish, right? Since you are planning a low light tank you don't need to be pushing as much CO2 as possible. In my bright tank I need to get a drop of more than 1 degree from degassed tank water to pH at the start of lights on but a low light tank would be fine with less than that change.

To spot treat I turn off the pumps and use a syringe. Let the tank cook for 20 minutes and then turn the pumps back on. I would start with just the suggested daily dose, 1 ml per 10 gallons, as your algae isn't horrible. You will see the BBA turn pink/red/gray in a day or two and then algae eaters will be able to eat it. This can be done daily of course but repeat at least weekly even if you don't see any BBA for a while to destroy any new growth that starts up. This may damage new Anubias growth but they should recover fine. Just remove BBA infested crypt leaves they are likely on the way out anyway.

Since you are taking charge before a really horrible case of BBA got started I suspect the lower lighting and length of day with some CO2 and NPK and you will have healthier plants in a month or so. 2 bulbs of PC is low light unless you have terrific reflectors, after you get this under control maybe you could add in the other 2 for an hour a day and see what happens and increase by an hour every week or so.

#12 ·
I did a full inventory of plants and livestock to determine my latest water parameter requirements. I am close to spot on.

Current Parameters:
Temp: 78F
KH: ~4 (Last Tested 6 months ago, new test kit on its way)
pH: 7

Desired Parameters:
Temp: 74
KH: 6
pH 7

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.