As my 20 gallon tank has been progressing I have been reading many articles and posts on fertilizers to find one that will work for me. It seems to be that EI dosing is the way to go currently, but I just want to be sure I am thinking correctly. I have been dosing API Leaf Zone and Flourish Comprehensive every other day in smaller amounts to keep nutrients available to the plants. Along with that I use seachem root tabs in my PFS substrate.
I have a fair amount of fast growing plants, but also have slower growing plants too. I have pearling on some of the plants which means the need a good supply of nutrients due to the growth rate, right? With the details listed below does it seem that EI dosing would work well? Also, is it necessary to pick up any other test kits, or go blind with dosing? I am not sure what my light level category falls in to since I don't have any way to measure PAR. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
- 20 gallon (16 3/4" height) tropical community 80 F with and AC20 and 50
- pH 7.4 (before CO2) with peat filtering, 7.0 with CO2 running
- 20-30 ppm CO2 (with room for error), pressurized CO2
- ammonia: 0ppm, nitrites: 0ppm, nitrates: 5-10ppm (seems to be dropping, too early to tell)
- GH: 6 dH, KH: 11 dH (again with error as I have confirmed the test accuracy)
- 24" Aquatic Life 48W T5HO, ZooMed Flora Sun and Ultra Sun, on legs 4" above the water
- Plants: Purple Cabomba (8), Brazilian Pennywort (floating), Riccia, Java moss wall, Water wisteria (2), rotala rotundifolia (10), limnophilia aromatica (4), chain swords (E. Bolivianus)(8), banana plant (2), alternanthera "cardinalis" (3), and amazon swords (3, small, different species, not permanent)