You use both of the bottles to test nitrate.
1. fill test-tube to line
2. put 10 drops of solution #1
3. cover and shake test-tube.
4. shake bottle #2 for 30 seconds (very important)
5. place 10 drops of bottle #2 into test-tube and shake test-tube.
6. let test-tube rest for 5 minutes
7. compare color to chart.
The directions are on the back of the chart with the colors.
I can't tell you the directions for the ammonia test, I don't own one.
If you don't shake bottle #2 for the 30 seconds you could get a 0ppm false reading.
follow JeffB's instruction if you have the AP test kit. Step #4 is extremely important, or you get 0, or close to. I shake it as hard as I can for 100 times. I have been fooled by the kit many times by not shaking hard enough.
Truvu 100g Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller 10gallon15w T6+15w T8 55gallon40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.