The Planted Tank Forum banner

"EI" On 20g Tank w/ DIY C02

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Jdinh04 
#1 ·
I am starting to begin dosing dry fertilizers as well as liquid. If you use this method, what is your weekly dosing? With the help of Jason Baliban, I have come up with this method.

Fertilizers Dosing Method:
Day 1 - 50%WC - 1/8 Teaspoon KNO3, 1/32 Teaspoon KH2PO4, 1/8 Teaspoon K2S04
Day 2 - Dose 5mL Flourish
Day 3 - Repeat Day 1 W/O Water Change
Day 4 - Dose 5mL Flourish
Day 5 - Repeat Day 1 W/O Water Change
Day 6 - Dose 5mL Flourish
Day 7 - Take A Rest!

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Your K seems a little low. I have noticed good results when I rose my K levels to the 15-20 ppm range assuming everything else is in check.

Are you planning on using flourish as your micro or are you just waiting till it runs out and switching to CSM+B or another product? No problems with florish, just curious.

#4 ·
If you added more KNO3, that will add plenty of K+.
How much light the tank has is also inmportant.

You could add more KNO3 if that is the case.

I add about 1/4 teaspoon 3x a week to a high light 20 gal of KNO3.

This adds about 4X the nutrient demand that the plants will need relative to NO3.

You can add 1/4 teaspoon after a water change of K2SO4 if you want.

Regards,
Tom Barr

#6 ·
Yep, CO2 will be the biggest issue you'll have, it's easy enough to rule out NO3 and the nutrients by dosing regularly.

CO2 is the only variable left.
So change the brew often, use two alternating brew changes with one being changed weekly so to keep the rate consistent. Also, consider a DIY CO2 reactor, they are cheap and effective.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

#8 ·
Diffusers release CO2 into the water column via bubbles. Efficient reactors will have smaller bubbles to help with diffusion. However, once the bubbles reach the surface, they are no longer effective. Reactors usually use a mechanical device to allow the CO2 to stay in contact with the water until the water completely absorbs the CO2.
jB

#9 ·
So basically both of them do the same job, but one is more efficient than the other? I just purchased "turtlehead's" diffuser, lets start with that and we'll see how things go. I placed a order on GregWatson.com the other day, should be recievin the package anytime soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.