RO System for Aquariums - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By nsillej

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Location: Davis, CA but I wish I didn't live in California. Anywhere but here.
RO System for Aquariums

Hi All,
I've decided I'm going to get an RO system and wanted to get some feedback. The water out of the tap is 17ppm KH.

I see two options:
1. Installing my own and using storing containers
2. We have a local company called Culligan that installs there system and then you just turn on the faucet in a particular room and there you are. You pay $9.95 to rent their system and they service it.

What RO solution do you have and how do you like it?

Thanks for any feedback.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recipe for a quarantine tank: 5-15gal aquarium, no substrate, a heater that can heat the tank to 86F, "lights should be turned off", one - two mesh bags of biological medium, two small sponge filters, an air pump running into the tank powering the sponge filter. Lid is optional but you should be able to cover most of the tank to prevent fish from jumping out. Medicine for ich, fungus, bacteria and parasites next to your ...quarantine - hospital thank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:55 PM
Algae Grower

I installed my own unit. If you can use a Drill and Screwdriver you can do it yourself. I installed this system from Bulk Reef Supply. When I was doing research for freshwater I found no reason for the DeIonization stage but the secondary Carbon stage was useful. You can always easily add the DI stage later if you want. I installed mine under the sink in a bathroom next to the room where I have my tank. I now have mine set up to work with a 30gal Brute trash can with a float to shut off the water and keep it in the bathtub while it fills. Before I went to the Brute/Bathtub/Float I left the system on one night, and flooded the bathroom and the room below with about 20 gallons of RO water, Wife was not thrilled.

My guess is that the Culligan system is designed and tuned for Drinking water and is not suited for large volumes. I did a quick search on their website and it looks like theirs are rated at 1.25 gal/Hour. (The one i have is rated at 3.12 Gal/Hour) You will want to find out how many gallons a day it produces and then figure out how long it is going to take to make the water you need.

If you decide to go the DIY route I can provide some more information on what parts I used and what I learned that might make it easier for you.
clownplanted likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:52 AM
Planted Member

I use an RO Buddie. Gets the job done and is nice and small for portability(fits inside 5G bucket).

I should be reading the Fertilizers and Water Parameters forum

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:12 AM
Algae Grower

I've been using this one and couldn't be happier given the price: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GJC...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

RO System for Aquariums

Quote:
Originally Posted by redavalanche View Post
I use an RO Buddie. Gets the job done and is nice and small for portability(fits inside 5G bucket).

I got the 100 GPD RO Buddie, mounted it on the wall adjacent to my sink, use the waste water using a regular garden hose to water my yard and I invested in two Rubbermaid 44 Gal. cans. For $65 this is a bargain I feel.
Now... the part that I am working with is the gradual introduction of the RO water into my tanks. For instance, when looking at Fish A's particular ideal water parameters and Fish B's I am working to adjust the water so that the GH is about 10ppm lower.

Any suggestions or guidance on how to accomplish this without killing fish is appreciated . In one tank, I have some $1.99 fish and I took the tanks GH from 17ppm down to 11ppm and and took out three of the fish out of 10. So... 7ppm's was not a wise decision and I need to be more patient I feel. So at what rate should I make my adjustments. I really don't like fish diing, even $1.99 fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recipe for a quarantine tank: 5-15gal aquarium, no substrate, a heater that can heat the tank to 86F, "lights should be turned off", one - two mesh bags of biological medium, two small sponge filters, an air pump running into the tank powering the sponge filter. Lid is optional but you should be able to cover most of the tank to prevent fish from jumping out. Medicine for ich, fungus, bacteria and parasites next to your ...quarantine - hospital thank.

Last edited by DigityDog70; 05-19-2017 at 07:11 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:38 PM

I have a Culligan RO unit with a larger tank, I think its 15 gallons. I have a 75 Gallon aquarium, its drilled with a line running to my sump pump and a line running from the RO unit. I drain the RO tank every night into my aquarium. The RO tank is full by morning and we use it for drinking water.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:41 PM
Algae Grower

Talking

[QUOTE=f1sleepy;10219002]I've been using this one and couldn't be happier given the price: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GJC...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am assuming it comes with all the initial resin and filters or is that in addition to the pricing, and how much do the new filters cost? will have to look into that one... looks good for what I want...

I ONLY have a 5.5 and a 15 gallon running right now, so 1 day will fill both more than twice... I guess I'll need to explain to the wife why I need more aquariums now...

From South East Pennsylvania
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:09 PM
Algae Grower

It comes with everything! Not sure on the cost of replacement cartridges as I haven't had to replace any yet, but worst case, I can replace the entire unit for relatively cheap. With smaller tanks like yours, this unit should last you a couple years without touching the cartridges.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:09 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigityDog70 View Post
Any suggestions or guidance on how to accomplish this without killing fish is appreciated . In one tank, I have some $1.99 fish and I took the tanks GH from 17ppm down to 11ppm and and took out three of the fish out of 10. So... 7ppm's was not a wise decision and I need to be more patient I feel. So at what rate should I make my adjustments. I really don't like fish diing, even $1.99 fish. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Am not one of those to give calculations on such matters. LOL. I would say my approach is very conservative and would probably take months to lower GH KH. So that may not help you.

I mix 50% tap with 50% remineralized RO. Then I do a 35% water change once per week. Can't find my paper I wrote some readings on cause I been in the hospital recently. But generally the remineralized water is about 1/3 of my tap/tank. So the tap/tank is like 10 and 20 and the RO is mixed to 3 and 6.

So while you could derive a calculation I would just rather do it the way that is working for me. The fish and shrimp appear happy and while I want them to live a healthy long life they will be nowhere unless I have a healthy long life as well. LOL. So I probably need to get back to some water testing myself.

I should be reading the Fertilizers and Water Parameters forum
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

RO System for Aquariums

Thanks All, the RO Buddie is working well, and I'm really happy that I'm able to provide good water without too much trouble. The two cartridges that you replace periodically after so many gallons of use are also reasonably priced so, this is a great thing. The setup was a piece of cake. I recommend this to anyone that needs RO water. Ideally I would have RO water immediately but with two 44Gal . Heavy duty rubber maids, 70 gals is plenty of water for my purposes. I am about to head out and grab some Chinese Algae eaters to throw in my tank. I'm hoping they survive. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode