The Planted Tank Forum banner

How much NilocG GH booster powder to add to 500ml of water?

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  clownplanted 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Please help me figure out how much of this NilocG GH booster powder I need to add to 500ml of water so I can use the 5ml capful to measure out the weekly dose. So on the site it says to add 1/4tsp per 10g, 1x per week. So for me that would be 1 1/3tsp for about 55 gallons weekly(60 gallon tank minus stuff). So I want to pre mix the stuff in RO water and am having a hard time figuring out how much of this stuff to add in 500ml of ro water so I can measure out 5ml(capful) of this stuff once a week. Thanks everone

I just do not want to have to measure out teaspoons and would rather use a pre mixed solution to just fill the 5ml cap and done.

Nevermind. Found out its not that soluble so not a good idea to pre mix like that. Oh well

#3 ·
Yes. Well did not try till I knew for sure. NilocG being a super awesome supplier emailed me saying not recommended due to not very soluble. Got their EI package today. Starting tomorrow [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Nevermind. Found out its not that soluble so not a good idea to pre mix like that. Oh well[/QUOTE said:
Yup... Pretty much the only thing that I don't pre-mix. I mix it in hot tap water, mix well, let it cool a tad and dump it in.

#5 ·
Lol funny you mentioned that because added today and some decided to just float to the bottom. Does dissolve over time but would rather it not do this. How I mixed my micros was heated water as it mixes very good compared to cold water. Was going to heat water for the gh booster next time I add it.

#6 ·
The only thing holding you back from making a liquid GH booster is the Calcium. The calcium found in typical GH boosters is CaSO4.2H2O (Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate). This has a very low solubility in water. Instead, use CaCl2.2H2O (Calcium Chloride Dihydrate). This dissolves well in water.

Add the following to 500ml of warm distilled water,
19.2 grams MgSO4.7H2O ("Epsom Salt" Magnesium Sulfate HeptaHydrate))
20.8 grams CaCl2.2H2O (Calcium Choride Dihydrate)

Dose 5ml per 10 gallons.
each dose provides the following...
Ca 15
Mg 5
dGH 3.25
Cl 26.5
S 6.6

#7 · (Edited)
The only thing holding you back from making a liquid GH booster is the Calcium. The calcium found in typical GH boosters is CaSO4.2H2O (Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate). This has a very low solubility in water. Instead, use CaCl2.2H2O (Calcium Chloride Dihydrate). This dissolves well in water.

Add the following to 500ml of warm distilled water,
19.2 grams MgSO4.7H2O ("Epsom Salt" Magnesium Sulfate HeptaHydrate))
20.8 grams CaCl2.2H2O (Calcium Choride Dihydrate)

Dose 5ml per 10 gallons.
each dose provides the following...
Ca 15
Mg 5
dGH 3.25
Cl 26.5
S 6.6
You also could use the same dry volumes with 1 liter and aerate it over night which should get the CaSO4 dissolved more completely and use 10 ml per 10 gallons.

If I was to add Potassium Sulfate to this mix what per weight in grams amount would be a good baseline?

P.S. Ah! just worked it out using the RotalaButterfly calculator, cool.

#8 ·
Hey is this what you use to remineralize the RO? I bought the Salty Shrimp stuff, expensive.

Please help me figure out how much of this NilocG GH booster powder I need to add to 500ml of water so I can use the 5ml capful to measure out the weekly dose. So on the site it says to add 1/4tsp per 10g, 1x per week. So for me that would be 1 1/3tsp for about 55 gallons weekly(60 gallon tank minus stuff). So I want to pre mix the stuff in RO water and am having a hard time figuring out how much of this stuff to add in 500ml of ro water so I can measure out 5ml(capful) of this stuff once a week. Thanks everone

I just do not want to have to measure out teaspoons and would rather use a pre mixed solution to just fill the 5ml cap and done.
Nevermind. Found out its not that soluble so not a good idea to pre mix like that. Oh well

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
And this stuff

Just kind of confusing to me that this still is not soluble enough to make a pre mix solution but then how does it mix in your tank at 78 degrees f? What if I was to mix in boiling ro water and mix really good. Would the calcium just not mix? Then how does it eventually mix in the tank? Confused lol.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.