The Planted Tank Forum banner

I need some assistance please. Question about lowering my gh.

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Zoidburg 
#1 ·
How would I go about lowering my gh in my aquariums? right now its off the charts. Over 400 ppm. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
GH is basically a measure of divalent metal ions, mostly Ca++ and Mg++.

What you need is to remove that, and avoid adding it back. As mentioned above, RO water is the common way to go. It wastes some water and takes a while, but then you have very soft water, that needs to be remineralized, up to the desired levels.

I would only go for it if you are 100% sure. It is very straightforward, but does involve some effort.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Yeah, CRS don't do too well in water with a GH over 105ppm (roughly 6 dGH). The hardest part is that with a dGH of 22 like you have, you don't know how much of that is calcium.

For a smaller tank (20 gallon and under), I'd just go full RO and remineralize it to around 6 dGH. For anything larger, I'd mix your water with RO to hit around 105ppm ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
1.) Go out and purchase a tank to set up for your Crystal Shrimp (10 gallon preferably)
2.) Purchase a buffering substrate (SL-Aqua is a great price from Discobee! If in the USA!)
3.) Cycle tank with RO water and "pure" Ammonia (no detergents or dyes) - ~3-4 weeks
4.) Once tank is cycled, perform a 90 or 100% water change with RO water and a GH+ remineralizer
5.) Acclimate Crystal Shrimp to water

Neos are fine on plain sand and tap water. If you have hard tap water, then mix tap with RO (about 3.5-4 parts RO to 1 part tap) to get desirable parameters for them.

Make sure you have the following products:
API Freshwater Master Test Kit *OR* Sera Aqua-Test Set for Saltwater & Freshwater (does not include Nitrate test)
API GH & KH Test Kit *OR* Sera Aqua-Test Set for Saltwater & Freshwater
TDS Meter

At minimum, you only need 2 things, max 3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.