The Planted Tank Forum banner

Question Fertilizing My 55 Gallon Planted Tank

6K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Hilde 
#1 ·
Hi,

So I have been reading up on fertilizing, and from my other threads it was suggested I need to fertilize my planted tank. Currently, I use Seachem Flourish root tabs in my sand substrate and also use Seachem Flourish Excel daily. I also have a co2 setup, which runs for 10 hours/day (same as my light cycle, using a Finnex Ray2).

I was referred to this site: Aquarium Plant Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums from one of my previous posts, to add EI dosing kit from Nilocg or GreenLeafAquariums. Simple KNo3, k2so4, and kh2po4. Since I'm new to that type of fertilizer, what am I actually looking to purchase...I'm a bit confused when I go to the website as it doesn't seem that there is an all-in-one kit for people like me who are trying to learn and figure it out.

Also, with that model I have to do 50% water changes weekly? That seems like a lot of work in my apt, using 5 gallon buckets, but if that needs to be done then so be it.

1. Are dry ferts more cost effective?
2. Is using root tabs and Flourish Excel not efficient enough?
3. Can you help me understand exactly what I should purchase to help with my plants?

I have attached a picture of my updated tank.

Thanks!
Matt

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Are dry ferts more cost effective?
- absolutely, no questions asked
2. Is using root tabs and Flourish Excel not efficient enough?
- Nope, you need to dose your water column, look at my 55g, that is what you can do with EI dosing.
3. Can you help me understand exactly what I should purchase to help with my plants?
You need a full EI kit, you just aren't dosing enough to keep your plants healthy.
This is what I personally bought EI based NPK + CSM+B - NilocG Aquatics
he has a complete dosing chart on the site as well.
Try to buy a python, it makes 50% water changes a breeze, I remember the days of bucket lugging.
Reduce lights to 7 hrs a day, and run co2 an hour before lights turn on, so the water is saturated when the lights turn on. Turn off an hour before lights off, to let plants use up extra co2.

#3 ·
Thanks. So with what you linked me, I don't see where it has KNo3, k2so4, and kh2po4. Also, should I add anything like iron chelate or Ferrous Gluconat? Also, I don't mind buying in bulk if it's cheaper too.

And I'll look into the python...bucket lugging is for the birds :smile2:

EDIT: Your tank is beautiful! Well done!

Thanks again,
Matt

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
Mixing depends on if you just want to dry dose, which is what I do, it is easy to adjust amounts when you just measure it with a teaspoon. I dont like pre mixed, cause I usually have high nitrates, and dry dosing lets me vary amounts whenever I need to, like if I see GSA, up po4, high nitrates, cut back kno3. It is more difficult when you have a pre mixed mixture. just my 2 cents.

#11 ·
Alright, I ordered what Sohan recommended: EI based NPK + CSM+B - NilocG Aquatics

Also ordered a 50 ft Python.

This weekend got expensive real fast, but it was my fault for letting the algae get so out of control.

And just think...this all stemmed from me posting on Plant ID.

I think I'll be set for a while now.

Thanks for both of your input!

Good stuff. Ya this hobby can get very expensive. When getting just my co2 stuff a couple weeks ago holy smokes next thing I know is I was broke lol.

You will not be disappointed with the ferts. Is my next purchase on payday lol so I will be good when my Seachem Flourish line runs out.

Your plants will thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
@mattbirk
Exactly correct, just toss the dry powder into the tank. Although I personally dose really high phosphates and half the kno3. Do you have a phosphate and a nitrate test kit? They will be useful for determining exactly how much to dose. Remember that EI is meant for a densely planted tank. So dose less at first, then ramp it up as plant mass increases.

#16 ·
Awesome, easy enough! Probably makes sense then to mix for a week at a time to make it quicker, and then just dump in that days ferts, without having to mix.

I do not yet have a phosphate or nitrate test kit, so I'll buy those next.

Understood, I know I'm not densely planted, so I'll adjust accordingly.

Thanks again for all the help you've given me! It's not as difficult as it seems at first, just overwhelming.

EDIT: One more thing, do I still use Flourish Excel and/or root tabs?

#22 ·
I use the nilocG EI ferts and use co2 and have not lost a single amano shrimp. The cooper levels are too little to do any harm. Mine do not seem to mind EI ferts, co2 and excel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
use Seachem Flourish Excel daily. I also have a co2 setup, which runs for 10 hours/day (same as my light cycle, using a Finnex Ray2).

Is using root tabs and Flourish Excel not efficient enough?
Why are you using Florish Excel (Co2 additive) and injecting Co2?

Well it looks you didn't choose plants that could suffice with just root tabs. You made a wise decision in your order of ferts though. Be careful with KNO3. You have to increase it slowly or the fish will be affected.

I mix my dry fert in a measuring cup with tank water and then dump them in the tank.

Bump:
You still get benefit from using excel and using co2. It's a different form that the plants are able to uptake along with normal co2. Also it's a good algacide. I use both with great results. Also my shrimp do not mind it
That amazes me. For I have read that shrimp are sensitive to Excel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.