EI vs. PPS Pro - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

EI vs. PPS Pro

Hello, I went to GLA's site to order some ferts. I have experience with EI, but am curious if anyone has experience with their PPS Pro? Which one should I get for my
first high tech, high light, Co2 tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Ei.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They both work great PPS pro is meant to only add the nutrients that the plants are up taking in their proper portions. So you need to measure nutrient uptake and adjust your dosing accordingly whereas with EI you overdose to ensure without measuring that there are no nutrient deficiencies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would say EI is easier and PPS pro is more advanced. EI is more wasteful and in most cases requires more work ie. water changes but also a lot more forgiving. PPS pro is probably more effective if you can get the balance right but takes time to balance and dosing is always changing due to growth therefore requires more knowledge. Both are good options depending on your needs.

Dan
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ive used both and prefer PPS pro because I dont have to do 50% water changes every week. Other than that both work great
Veritas and Maryland Guppy like this.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

To add to this discussion in a heavily planted tank regular PPS Pro dose is not enough.
Needed to double the ordinary dose or PO4 would bottom out.
I also reduce KNO3 since the fish load provides 10-15ppm of NO3.

Instead of a 50% weekly WC that would be required with EI, my need is only about 10% per week.
Heck if there is little evaporation, 20% every two weeks.

Buying EI package from NilocG.com and add MgSO4 and 10%Fe to the order.
Dosing recipes are also on this site.
Same compounds are used in either dosing method for the most part.

One must decide what amount of WC's they wish to be committed to?

Swimming is not that difficult.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have used both for almost a year at a time. I saw better growth and less algae with EI, PPS tends to run out of nutrients in a very heavily planted high-light tank.

A 16-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=237065&dateline=14898  54398
55g High Tech, Dutch (Sort of)
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:30 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
I would say EI is easier and PPS pro is more advanced. EI is more wasteful and in most cases requires more work ie. water changes but also a lot more forgiving. PPS pro is probably more effective if you can get the balance right but takes time to balance and dosing is always changing due to growth therefore requires more knowledge. Both are good options depending on your needs.

Dan
Agree! In agriculture, when you plan for responsible nutrient application, it's called using an 'agronomic rate'. This is applying the projected amount of each nutrient the crop will use to prevent needless nutrient leaching or runoff. Personally, using the PPS pro system makes alot of sense to me. I have been using this for a few years with much success. It's easy too!
Maryland Guppy likes this.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:54 PM
Algae Grower

EI can work fine without weekly water changes, just do a leaner micro dose to avoid buildup. You can also adjust macro dosage if any issues arise
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have never tried PPS. I may try it some day. I like EI as it has never failed me. 50% WC's? I do 70-80% WC's every Sunday. I like the WC's so I can do other maintenance on the tanks. This works well for me. I also dose higher than EI in some heavily planted tanks with no issues. These are also high light and lots of co2...

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

Clint's 75 Gallon. High Tech Project Update 5/5/17
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WxZI8akyxbg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KDdpUe4Olcg

These are videos from Dennis Wong talking about nutrient dosing and another about algae. He talks about ei, pps, and ada style. Merits of lean versus hammer dosing

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PPS should stand for "pain per squirt" I will be going away from seachem flourish products and using EI. Already so tired of the individual dosing all the required seachem products.

BettaBettas likes this.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:43 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
EI can work fine without weekly water changes, just do a leaner micro dose to avoid buildup. You can also adjust macro dosage if any issues arise
Wouldn't that be sort of like PPS.

To the OP, Tom Barr recommends tap water for EI, plants like hard water at 8.0pH. 50% is easy with a python water changer which he recommends. So without knowing your tap water parameters and what fish you want/need to keep, if any, and the depth of your tank, no one can provide a realistic answer to your question. A shallow tank will always produce better growth and nicer growth as more light gets to the bottom of the plants. 24"+ deep tanks will have issues with too much growth since the bottoms will stay shaded. Less ferts = less growth = less trimming.

From experience, algae can happen with over dosing and with under dosing. Over dosing is ok for plants but bad for fish, while under dosing is ok for fish but bad for plants. All within reason, of course. I use PPS due to tap water in the 600um range and have trouble keeping the algae at bay and while the new growth looks fabulous, the old growth horrendous.

Born a Pisces, Always a Pisces
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:38 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbybills View Post
Wouldn't that be sort of like PPS.
EI prescribed dosage amounts are the starting point, there's wiggle room built in. Use plant health as indicators, adjust accordingly
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

They are the same thing to me. You can adjust accordingly with either method and end up at the same place. Neither is full proof nor the most efficient. I'd purchase the dry ingredients. I like to mix my own liquid ferts and dose all willy nilly, but a high tech tank would require regular dosing. Keep track of how you mix the portions and adjust based on deficiencies. Your goal should be the minimum amount of ferts requires for healthy growth.
Dman911 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode