The Planted Tank Forum banner

Talk me out of using Seachem Flourish line

11K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  BettaBettas 
#1 ·
So I am looking at switching from using the entire Seachem Flourish line and using the EI method probably going with NilocG Thrive. It is just such a pain dosing all the different products each day and also the wallet could use a break as I should save going with the all in one. I want to know is there any downside going with the EI? Is there still a case where you may need a specific macro/micro fert? I just like the idea of doing a few squirts and being done compared to having to use my spreadsheet with the schedule everyday plus Seachem is so pricey. I am relatively new to planted tanks so like many I started with Seachem but feel I should switch. Who here switched and did your plants take to the change in a good way or bad way? I plan on continuing to use the Seachem root tabs as that is just needed every few months anyway. Thanks ahead if time.

#3 ·
There is nothing wrong with the Flourish line. They are all good sources of nutrients. Don't forget that it's not just fertilizers you will be switching. The amount you dose now will be increased SIGNIFICANTLY when using the EI method. You think Seachem Flourish line is expensive now? Try to use it dosing EI levels. :surprise:

I made a few calculations to compare prices. The mixtures are comparable to each other.

KNO3 1LB $3.00 makes 6.3 liters of Flourish Nitrogen.
6.250 liters of Flourish nitrogen costs $87

KH2PO4 1LB $5.00 makes 10.5 liters of Flourish Phosphorus.
10.5 liters of Flourish Phosphorus costs $144.94

K2SO4 1LB $3.00 makes 3.25 liters of Flourish Potassium.
3.25 liters of Flourish Potassium costs $83.30

Plantex 1 LB $12.00 makes 9.25 liters of Flourish comprehensive.
3.25 liters of Flourish Comprehensive costs $137.38

Grand total: $23 versus $452.62

5% the cost of Seachem's line

The dry fertilizer prices are from NilOCG and the Flourish prices are from Doctors Foster and Smith.

#4 ·
There is nothing wrong with the Flourish line. They are all good sources of nutrients. Don't forget that it's not just fertilizers you will be switching. The amount you dose now will be increased SIGNIFICANTLY when using the EI method. You think Seachem Flourish line is expensive now? Try to use it dosing EI levels. :surprise:

I made a few calculations to compare prices. The mixtures are comparable to each other.

KNO3 1LB $3.00 makes 6.3 liters of Flourish Nitrogen.
6.250 liters of Flourish nitrogen costs $87

KH2PO4 1LB $5.00 makes 10.5 liters of Flourish Phosphorus.
10.5 liters of Flourish Phosphorus costs $144.94

K2SO4 1LB $3.00 makes 3.25 liters of Flourish Potassium.
3.25 liters of Flourish Potassium costs $83.30

Plantex 1 LB $12.00 makes 9.25 liters of Flourish comprehensive.
3.25 liters of Flourish Comprehensive costs $137.38

Grand total: $23 versus $452.62

5% the cost of Seachem's line

The dry fertilizer prices are from NilOCG and the Flourish prices are from Doctors Foster and Smith.
beautiful stats

#7 ·
To start off with I will probably just go with the easier All in one Thrive. Then down the road will probably try the dry fertilizer and mix myself as I know that will be the most cost effective. Baby steps :smile2:

#15 · (Edited)
All way to complicated for my liking and all those chemicals OMG, everything you add to the tank ends up in your fish.

I put my pets welfare first, sure I will never have one of those fancy scaped tanks you often see on this forum but I dont care as long as my fish are happy and healthy. I did have a bottle of API CO2 booster and I threw it out The stuff stinks and can't be good for the fish, I will stick to my tried and tested method of fish poo and water changes. My tanks are lush enough without all this fertz CO2 and special lighting nonsense,

I keep fish in planted tanks, I dont keep planted tanks with fish in them.

#27 ·
And in that note, I don't keep fish for the same reason. And I'm a horrible fish keeper, but it's nice to know that people care about the chemicals going in to their fish. I have a seperate shrimp tank that I don't fert for the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#18 ·
@NickAu im doing a dutch tank that's what that was for lol :) thank you for caring about fish though! I will be having some fish but not many. All under 1" not that that means anything different I do agree in some ways. Now these chemicals are human made I do believe? so they aren't natural? either way they don't do harm I do not think. In any way. I use seachem (every single product of fertz) and they work great, fish and shrimp are happy, hoppy, unaffected.
Im going to be honest with you I'd say with my experience with landscaping companys and being a nursery worker/slave, I am more about the scapes and fish than I am about the fish.
But I consider myself to love them equally as much since without the fish I'd be Bucked. And the fish are beautiful that im getting, and unfortunaly 100$ for 12 :p

#19 ·
Im just trying to get my head around all these additives, Im a firm believer of " If I cant drink it, Then its not fish safe " I keep my tank water so clean its safe to drink even after a week in the tank.

The active ingredients within Excel are potentially very toxic and care must be taken in its use. Glutaraldehyde will chemically burn skin, can damage your lungs if inhaled, and, if you somehow manage to get it in your eyes, can cause serious damage.
After I read that I decided to stop using API CO2 booster as it contains the same stuff, If it isn't safe for me to inhale the fumes, how is it safe to add to my tanks?

#21 ·
Im just trying to get my head around all these additives, Im a firm believer of " If I cant drink it, Then its not fish safe " I keep my tank water so clean its safe to drink even after a week in the tank.
Some people's drinking water has higher levels of some of these compounds than in our tanks.
Nitrates and phosphates for example, maybe iron even.
Potassium I am not sure.
CO2 @ 30ppm does not affect the live stock.

I am not a fan of Glut in the tank, I'll use as an out of tank plant treatment though.

You make it sound as if we are poisoning the water?

#22 ·
You make it sound as if we are poisoning the water?
Am I? sorry.

Maybe I should start a thread that says " Talk me into using fertilizer and convince me its safe "

However as the topic is " Talk me out of using Seachem Flourish line " I figured I would give my opinion as to why I think its unsafe and why the OP should stop using the products.

I am a novice at all this high tech stuff my fish are healthy and happy so are my plants, but If you can show me a safer better way Im all ears.

#24 ·
I was using the entire flourish line for over a year. Seachem makes great products but I too found dosing all the separate products tedious. However, it can be said that having separate products like they do allows one to customize the nutrient levels specific to ones tank.
I've now been using green leaf aquariums ferts for about a month and believe there has actually been improvement. Again, Seachem s quality is outstanding but I believe the concentration was on the low side for what I was needing. I do still use Excel though. I hope this helps.

#25 ·
Thank you and it sure does help. I will be switching from excel to metricide since from what I have read works just as good and is much cheaper. Same stuff really. I will be going with the NilogC EI Liquid fertilizer. Have read great results with it.

#28 ·
And in that note, I don't keep fish for the same reason. And I'm a horrible fish keeper, but it's nice to know that people care about the chemicals going in to their fish. I have a seperate shrimp tank that I don't fert for the same reason.
I totally respect that approach.

I absolutely adore some of the high tech/dutch tanks on this site but most of them are just not suitable for fish.

Most small fish we keep in this hobby like Tetras, Rasboras Bettas, Danios Gouramis Otos Corie's Loaches and Rams prefer subdued lighting with floating plants for cover and they are happiest in low PH acidic black water tanks, and thats kinda contrary to high tech EI dosing co2 injection type of tanks.

Just yesterday a member on this site wanted to know if he could have a pleco with carpet plants, the answer is no, because plecos will tear up the carpet looking for food and they truly do prefer low light, while carpet plants prefer bright light.

#30 ·
I'm just a newbie, but it sure seems like the folks here with hi tech planted tanks care quite a bit about their fishes too. Especially those with shrimps and such have to be really careful with the water quality. I've learned from this forum to stop even using hot water to bring the temp up with water changes because of the water heater condensing more unwanted heavy metals and such.

I agree that if something to help the plants is hurting the fish, then fish shouldn't be in the tank. But I just don't see that happening here. I guess it is a balance and a series of choices regarding priorities. Similarly, there is much to be said about processed "fish food", as opposed to always feeding live or frozen food.

The proof is in the pudding here as much as anywhere. What good is a beautiful planted tank with unhappy fish? My fish have never seemed happier since I started an albeit modest fert regimen with DIY co2. They are happy (my best guess since they won't tell me) because of the lush plants! Just my perspective.

#32 ·
I often see lots of concern about how we treat the fish, etc. but that is after we have already agreed to take them far from their natural state, put them in glass cages, under bright lights where they can't hide so that we can watch them.
While my fish are in glass cages, they are not under bright lights unless you count 6 watts bright and they have lots of places to hide.

Yes this is safe to add to a tank?

Glutaraldehyde
CAUTION: Do not eat drink or get into eyes. In case of eye exposure, promptly & thoroughly wash eyes with water & seek medical attention.

#34 ·
Yes this is safe to add to a tank?

Glutaraldehyde
CAUTION: Do not eat drink or get into eyes. In case of eye exposure, promptly & thoroughly wash eyes with water & seek medical attention.
Something that is safe for one organism isn't necessarily safe for another organism, and vice versa...

#36 ·
It certainly is a dangerous world and there are lots of warnings as well, but how we each respond is always going to take some careful thought. Anybody read the warnings on silicone caulk? I don't know about you folks but I find it almost impossible to use a tube of caulk and not get it on my skin!
It all gets back to when I was an innocent kid and the guys dared me to do things with the electric fence? You just have to find who you can trust and go with it! (inside joke for the farm kids out there!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.