The Planted Tank Forum banner

Rootmedic vs PFertz?

7K views 50 replies 20 participants last post by  barbarossa4122 
#1 ·
Ignoring the debate between liquid and dry ferts, which would you recommend for my planned tank?

30 gallon, 96w PC, pressurized CO2. Planned plants include dwarf hair grass, crypts, java fern, anubais, wisteria and african fern.

I am considering the two following options:
Pfertz Med Tech +
RootMedics Complete

#8 ·
About 16" above the substrate (the height of the tank). 96w/30g = 3.2WPG, though I've been told on this forum that due to the depth of the tank this is more like medium low lighting. However, I believe it to be on the border of medium and high based on a chart I read in the Planted Tank Guide.

For those that aren't aware, the PFertz Med Tech + Package includes Nitrogen, Micros, and Root Tabs. The RootMedic Complete package includes a one bottle dosing of NPK, a bottle of Micros, and Root Tabs.

Based on my planned tank, I'm not sure if the NPK is necessary, PFertz makes it seem like it isn't as they don't include the NPK in their Med Tech Package.

#3 ·
Haven't used Root Medic, but I do use Pfertz in my 84g. Products work great, plants very healthy. I dose less than recommended with 2 T5HO bulbs running 13hrs per day. Plants are very healthy. Highly recommended. There's not all that much to ferts though so I'd expect Root Medic to also work great.

FWIW, my 84G uses about $80 of Pfertz product per year (root tabs and all 4 liquids NPK and Macro).

#4 ·
Needed to replenish my old Flourite the other day I was looking for some substrate root tabs and ran across the Pfertz Root Tabs at the lfs and since they are a sponsor of PT I gave them a try.

Within a week of putting in the tabs into the substrate I could see such a noticeable difference. Leaves on the L. aromatica doubled in just 4 days.

I have not tried RootMedic. Could not find it at the LFS and don't want to spend $$ on shipping when I could go to the LFS and see what I am getting.

#5 ·
I have not tried RootMedic. Could not find it at the LFS and don't want to spend $$ on shipping when I could go to the LFS and see what I am getting.
FWIW, I've never charged shipping on a single order of RootMedic Capsules. Ever.

When it comes down to it, you will see the analysis of both products is similar--this is because it is close to the max solubility point for the macro nutrients. There is a trick to getting them there and keeping them in solution.

The primary difference between the two products is either 3 bottles for macros or 1 bottle. I designed RootMedic Liquid based on convenience. On my website you can see a table that will show the potential life of the product(based on 250 ml bottle) based on every dosing possibility.

The other difference is the Micro solutions. The only primary difference is that iron is slightly higher in RootMedic.

Pfertz is a quality product and I am happy to support all sponsors(competitor or not).

When it comes down to it it is a matter of choice(and price)--do you want to be able to dose with two bottles or do you want a little bit more control and 4 bottles.

My understanding is that service from Pfertz is great.

Thanks,
Justin
www.rootmedic.net

#14 ·
JR - I honestly couldn't answer the 11% vs 5% question, because the ingredients aren't listed on Justin's site, and I don't want to answer questions about his product based on conjecture. But, our product is actually closer to 6%, being a bit underrated. But even at our concentration, potassium content is maxed out with the chemicals we use. Even another .1% would create an unstable mixture, with potassium crashing out of solution.

Look at Seachem & Brightwell - they are both around the same concentration as us, and for good reason. Temperature stability during shipping is also a big concern, as super-saturated solutions become unstable at the lower temperatures present during winter shipping.

As far as dosing your 30 gallon tank at 2x per week, I'd say that you could get about 65 weeks out of a bottle, conservatively speaking. This is based on 6 doses per week, divided into 412 doses per bottle @ 1.2ml per dose.

-Alex

#15 ·
Alex, Sorry I misspoke. What I meant is that there was not ADDITIONAL Potassium Sulfate or Monopotassium Phosphate.

Also, the potassium level you obtain in your solutions is based on the maximum solubility of each particular compound(potassium nitrate and potassium sulfate) not the maximum solubility of potassium.

I use potassium nitrate, urea, potassium sulfate, and monopotassium phosphate to make my all in one solution. You will find that at when certain environmental changes happen that the solution can become a tiny bit cloudy and precipitate some potassium out of solution. This is easily corrected by shaking before use.

Thanks again for the correction Alex, sorry I misspoke about your product.

Again, to the OP. I think that it really comes down to the choices above. I am sure you will be happy with either and find that service from either of us will knock the socks off that of the big box stores.

#18 ·
I think alot of dosing is about preference and convience.

You have witnessed a very civil discussion from two of our vendors regarding options for different types of products that can be purchased and used. These vendors take pride in their products, provide them at very good pricing and always offer great discounts to our members here.

Keep in mind that dosing is never an exact science and will vary from tank to tank, vendor to vendor. Most of the "pre made" mixtures come with anticipated/targeted dosing regimes that are really only a guess at some estimated requirement/demand. Some tanks need more, some less. You still have to understand what it is that you are dosing, why you are dosing and when/if you need more.

Some people have great success with one product over another and its important to keep open minded about most of our hobby.

Not to detract from our sponsors, but there is nothing wrong with making your own fertilizer solutions either.

Again, its all preference. The end product is what matters!

If your happy, we are happy!

#19 ·
You have witnessed a very civil discussion from two of our vendors regarding options for different types of products that can be purchased and used. These vendors take pride in their products, provide them at very good pricing and always offer great discounts to our members here.
I read this thread just to see how the likely discussion between sponsors would turn out.

Very impressed with both Justin and Alex, and it's great to have both of you in the hobby and offering quality options!

#24 ·
I love this discussion, two main competitors agreeing with each other and being nice. It is good to see that some business's are civil and nice. I would use RM because I have heard great things, and he takes the time to answer MY questions on this wonderful forum. However I have also heard positive things about Pferts and of how easy they are to use. Overall, I think it is a matter of opinion. Just had put my two cents in because I just talked to verizon...

#27 ·
I have been VERY pleased with Justin's products and customer service. I have only tried rootmedic complete and rootmedic iron intense substrate capsules, but I plan on trying out the liquid nutrients very soon.

pFertz also offers great products- I used to use the medium tech set, and was very pleased with the results. But when it comes down to it, I personally prefer Rootmedic.

#29 ·
I went from Seachem...which I had used for years, to RootMedic's liquid line. First off I love only have 2 bottles to dose and its more convient to just squirt ferts in the tank than measure. I am noticing a difference in my 100G specifically...black brush algae is going away, plants are doing better. My 10G is taking some balancing with the change as I was dosing too much Micro for its needs. Ive cut both tanks down to 1pump per 10G 3X per week and it is working out fabulous. As with any product you have to find a balance with it. Outside of Excel once the opened bottles of Seachem are used up(on the 150) I doubt I will go back to anything else. :)

#34 ·
Just started my dream-team combo of the medic tabs and the pfertz dosing.

Heres the news...so far:

Since I started dosing with nitrates in my tank..algae took off. (understandable, all dosing needs to be tinkered with) Plant growth has also taken off, and with the addition of the micros somethings are looking a lot better and greener! I have for the time being stopped dosing nitrates, (my lights fell into my aquarium two days ago so we have come to a stand still) But things are still growing in tank so who knows! :D

That being said...I havent noticed any differences YET with the medic root tabs. Maybe when I get lights back on my tank...ha ha.

Customer service was good from both. Pfertz was awesome. Had a personal conversation with the boss man, he helped me with my selection, got my order, and shipped it right away. It got here two days later.

Rootmedic got my order...and shipped it 11 days later. It got there 13 days later. It also was short 4 tabs, but I was given a $1 refund.

Will update once we know more again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.