The Planted Tank Forum banner

fertilizer brands

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  MtAnimals 
#1 ·
I can only find API leaf zone in my area. Is it a good fertilizer? Any experience and/or reviews is appreciated! TYVm

#2 ·
you'd be much better off going to aquariumfertilizer.com or NiloCG (forum member) who sell DIY liquid fert kits for like 15 or 20 bucks for a year's worth.You can use the API or seachem ferts.but that's the expensive way to go,since most of what you're paying for is water.

I'm not sure leafzone is a complete fertilizer either,it seems to have only 2 nutrients,potassium and iron.You need all 3 macros(NPK) and complete micros.

#4 ·
^ just placed an order on nilocg today. Dry ferts are way more cost effective. Not to mention the customer service.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
besides cost effects, and forgive me for budding in but I have never used dry ferts before, only root tabs. But what is the difference between dry fertilizers and Liquid fertilizers.
Pros & Cons and such? :icon_eek:

#6 ·
Dry ferts can be dosed both ways: dry ("seasoning" the water) or in a solution. Your choice.

When you buy the salts and mix them yourself, assuming mixing some grams of KNO3, KH2PO4, etc, is not an issue to you, you get to customize the ferts to your needs. GSA? Add a bit more PO4. Redder plants? A bit less NO3. Plus you get to really know how things work, and make it work for you.

It might be weird in the beggining, but it also reduces the guess work: you know the ferts, you know the amounts, you can rule out ferts as an issue.

I did the same with premixed solutions, like seachem ferts, calculate the percentages, the cobcentration being added, but at some I started asking: What the heck? For all this work I could be paying way less. 30 dollars will buy stuff that lasts for years. Years! Might depend on tank size, but regardless of that, I believe the difference in cost is an order of 50:1, maybe 100:1?

Really worth considering.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited)
As far as dry ferts go, I bought myself a small scale off Amazon and measure off exact amounts to be dosed. I prefer this method over the rest. I usually get my ferts ready the night before so I can just dump into tank when I get up in morning.

I use little rubbermaid containers and fill up with tank water and amounts measured. It literally takes me about 5 min. I use a dry fert kit from Green Leaf Aquariums. EI dosing package is $15 bucks and has lasted me a year and got at least half left. Also bought their Iron Chelate.($8)

So for $23 bucks + whatever shipping I got enough for probably 2 years maybe more.

These are what I use, I find them perfect for me.

Attachments

#8 ·
NiloCG and I think others have premixed dry ferts,and all you have to do is put a packet in the dosing bottle and add water to make your own liquid ferts.Just as easy to dose as pre mixed liquid ferts but far far less money.

The dosing bottle even has the amount printed on the side for EI.(if you get the EI "kit").

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.