The Planted Tank Forum banner

General PH Question

796 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Freemananana 
#1 ·
I have heard it's best to not chase PH with using buffers. I have my 55 set up freshly cycled, plants on the way. My PH has been regularly testing at 8.2. Is this something I should try to lower or is that still within the acceptable range? I have a tub of Neutral Regulator that I could use if need be. I am going to be keeping some basic low light plants, it will be heavily planted (18 plants in a 55 gallon). With plans on keeping a bunch of basic neon tetras and guppies. Thoughts?

#6 ·
I don't recommend trying to use any pH adjusters, as they aren't a permanent fix, but rather, a temporary fix.

If you want to "fix" your pH then you need to find out what your GH and KH are and if you want to buffer the water using a buffering substrate *OR* try mixing your tap water with RO water to lower the GH and KH. Otherwise, you'd cause more harm than good.

If it's stable and you aren't putting anything in the tank that doesn't like higher pH, you'll be fine.

#7 ·
It's best to match your choice of fish to your tap water or to invest in RO unit. Easier and cheaper - try to get the fish that like the water you have. Many people tell that you can get any fish with whatever parameters you have, but I prefer to stay in their favourite range. Probably you can get nearly any fish, but I would at least try to find fish that likes parameters you've got. It's not obligatory, though ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.