Using Peat Moss to Soften Water Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Using Peat Moss to Soften Water Questions

I want to breed some German Blue Rams and understand that they need a low PH around 6.5. My tap water is a 7.8 I was wondering a few things with using Peat Moss to help me soften my water....

1) Can Peat moss lower my water by 1 ph?

2) How much peat moss do I use per gallon? Is there some kind of formula to this?

3) How often should the peat moss be changed ?

4) I use HOB filter (with a sponge guard on the intake), does the peat moss NEED to be inside the filter unit or can I just place it somewhere in my tank inside a mesh bag/pantyhose?

5) How long does it approximately take to lower ph using peat? we talking weeks or months?

Thanks

p.s. I DO NOT want to use any chemicals and would prefer to go the natural way (or else I wont do it at all) by using things such as peat moss and almond leaves. I'll live with the tannins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

To whatever degree the peat soften's the water,the water you use for water changes might be very different = stress for the fishes.
You would in my humble opinion need same/same for tank water and change water to not have substantial changes within the tank at each water change.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:26 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

To know if peat moss can help you lower your pH, we need to know your KH, it's buffering the pH and peat moss won't help much with KH.

Ropefish playground
- 120x48x60 cm
Nano playground - 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm (working on it!)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
To whatever degree the peat soften's the water,the water you use for water changes might be very different = stress for the fishes.
You would in my humble opinion need same/same for tank water and change water to not have substantial changes within the tank at each water change.
Ha ! I was wondering that... cuz if I were to lower my ph but my tap water is hard, that would stress the fish out every water change unless I had some buckets sitting there with peat in it for the week before my water change...... so basically dont do it?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nel View Post
To know if peat moss can help you lower your pH, we need to know your KH, it's buffering the pH and peat moss won't help much with KH.

My water Parameters are ....

KH = 3 degrees
GH = 6 degrees
PH = 7.8

This is according to the API test kits that I use, and this is also several tests.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:37 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's a nice low KH you've got there! I would set up a tank/container for water changes, put there a power head with peat moss in a pantyhose (or anything else) and use it for your tank. You need to experiment with how much and for how long you can use your peat moss. Don't use it in your main tank - as roadmaster stated - you need same water for water changes as is in your tank.

Ropefish playground
- 120x48x60 cm
Nano playground - 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm (working on it!)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I used to use it in an hob and just let it run to soften water to get my angels to spawn...water I was using at the time was rock hard and ph over 8.The only time I preconditioned it was for fry tanks,in which case I'd run it for a day or so and then use it for small water changes.I'm using it right now(peat pellets for less discoloration) to raise cardinals and BN plecs.

I agree there is a possibility of a shock when doing water changes.Maybe you could run a 10 gallon out of the way somewhere like under the stand for prepping water?

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel View Post
It's a nice low KH you've got there! I would set up a tank/container for water changes, put there a power head with peat moss in a pantyhose (or anything else) and use it for your tank. You need to experiment with how much and for how long you can use your peat moss. Don't use it in your main tank - as roadmaster stated - you need same water for water changes as is in your tank.
Okay I have a plan, let me know if it`ll work. I have an extra 10G that I use as a quarantine tank. Since its not in use, I will fill the aquaclear 20 full of peat moss and just let it run. I will use that water for my 23G breeding tank`s water changes each week. The 23G will run as normal. But heres the problem. I change around 30% of water each week. Will the new water that I add to my 10G each week change ph/soften the water fast enough (from 7.8-6.5/7) in a weeks time? I thought peat moss works really slowly?

Well speak of the evil. My female laid her first batch of eggs today. They won't survive will they given the water parameters I have?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-18-2017 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:22 AM
Algae Grower

Hatching & Raising the Fry - Freshwater Cichlis Breeder | SomeFin's Fishy Look at this website, the owners grow all there fish in ph7.5 water. Hope this helps.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric mraz View Post
hatching & raising the fry - freshwater cichlis breeder | somefin's fishy look at this website, the owners grow all there fish in ph7.5 water. Hope this helps.
amazing site ! Thanks !!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Today at 5 pm i looked at the eggs were still there. by 8pm all the eggs were gone. Guess the female ate them. But Why? A quick question. How do you do WC with eggs/fry in the tank? Will it spook them when I do my weekly 30% change or do I just do like a 5-10% a day kinda thing?

P.S Im going to give these Rams another 2 chances before I remove the eggs and try to do it myself.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-18-2017 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Profanity
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 10:01 PM
Algae Grower

I never raised rams before, but have angelfish. Most new parents will eat there eggs. Only thing you can do is let them keep trying or take them out to hatch yourself. Water changes are a little tricky with with fry, just have to stay away from them the best way you can, and if you suck one up you can pinch the hose quick to stop it. Using a bucket to drain your water into is a good idea also, if any get through you can just get them out of the bucket. Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode