The Planted Tank Forum banner

dKH pushing 30!

808 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Connudatus 
#1 ·
My tank is pretty healthy. I don't really have any issues as far as die offs go, or Shrimp not reproducing. I have very had water where I live and because of that my pH is usually around 7.8-8.3, which I have managed. But recently I've noticed my dKH has been high(17-24). A few days ago I upgraded from low tech to high tech and I wanted to check my water parameters for changes. I discovered that my dkh was between 27 and 29, which is really high. I am concerned and wondering what the negative effects of this could be. I am looking for ways to help control this. Last I checked the dkh of my tap water is around 12.

#4 ·
From what I hear pumice is supposed to be inert though it may depend on the source. You can do a little experiment. Set out three samples of tap water: one with just water, one with the shale, and one with the Matrix (pumice). Track KH for a few days and you should find if either is the culprit.

#6 ·
Both expanded shale and matrix (pumice) are inert. Do you have any crushed coral, rocks, painted decorations, etc. in there?
Only plants, shrimp, snails, and drift wood. It has to be my hard water then. I will admit I don't do many water changes. Mostly I just top off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.