Trying to find the right balance for my 20 long..its getting irritating - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By irishspy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Trying to find the right balance for my 20 long..its getting irritating

Im really starting to lose my mind.. as all of this should not be that hard.

INFO: 20 long / Eheim 2215 / Hydro Nano 240 / Fluval Plant and Fresh 2.0 raised about 4" from tank / Pressurized CO2 2-3 BPS

So Im pretty much starting over with my 20 long. New hardscape, and plants to include DHG, Rotala R, Crytps, S Repens, AR Mini, and Anubias 'Petite' and Coffeefolia.

Ive been having issues with BBA on my plants and my AR Mini's look like little red turd piles, very depressing. Ive tried spot treating with H2O2, cutting the leaves/stems, more flow, added/decreased CO2, raised/lowered lights, along with EI Dosing. I tested my tap water last night and found that it contains around 1.0 - 1.5 ppm of Phosphates. I moved over to my tank and tested which read around 3.0-5.0 ppm (it was a darker green) Im in the process of trying to lower this by having some PhosGuard in my Eheim 2215 and also I bought Chemi Pure Elite last night in case I need that for removal as well.

Im trying to find 'that balance' and Im stumped. Ive used EI measurements I found on here and also on NilocG's site (20-40 gallon / Dosing 5ml to 20 gallons). I dumped those out and tried again, still the same issue. When I re-do everything again, Im thinking about not adding in KH2PO4 this time so see if that helps with anything since there is already a natural source of Phosphates in my tap water, but at the same time I assume lowering it will help with the issues.

My pH from the tank is between 6.4-6.7. Is that a good range? Should I try a GH Booster? I cant wrap my head around what it actually does.. raise the pH a little while adding little more nutrients like Magnesium and such?

Im not going to setup my CO2 system for this new setup just yet as I want to eliminate that variable so I only have to worry about lighting and ferts. I need to figure this out cause I dont want to keep throwing money at plants when all they do is keep getting BBA.

Is there a baseline for measurements to an EI Dosing or is it just standard and then experiment from there. Thats the hardest part for me, since I still dont know what cause it. Its a never ending loop. Do I raise the light or lower it? Dose more dose less? More light less light? Its getting old, and very hard to keep interest when it doesnt seem to be going my way.

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:11 PM
Planted Member

I'm in a similar situation to yours: a mid to high-light 20-long that started great, but it's been ravaged by green fuzz algae, especially my poor alternanthera. One observation I'd make from what you wrote:

Quote:
Im not going to setup my CO2 system for this new setup just yet as I want to eliminate that variable so I only have to worry about lighting and ferts. I need to figure this out cause I dont want to keep throwing money at plants when all they do is keep getting BBA.
If you get everything in balance, then add CO2, you've changed that balance again. I'd add the CO2 (which I'll be doing this weekend, I hope), then work to find the balance with everything in place.

Good luck, and I'll be following with interest!
Econde likes this.

----
Now open: "JJ&J's Seafood Buffet" 20g long planted freshwater - Sunset Fire Platy (x5 adults, 1 juvenile, x5 newborn),Neon Tetras (x11 ), Amano shrimp (x5), 40 lbs. Eco-Complete, AC 50 + AC 20, Finnex Planted+ 8 hours per day, Seachem ferts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Dose EI per Barrs direction. Make sure your co2 is correct. Start with a one degree drop the raise it slowly from there until fish appear distressed then back it down a bit. Always works for me when I did high light and EI. Most folks error with EI by not getting the co2 right, imo.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Irishspy - Youre right. Im going to add it and start it off slow.. and keep adjusting till I find the sweet spot. Im not going to high light for now.. maybe medium and well see where that takes me!

Bump: Jrill - I dont think Ive ever seen Barr's directions. Ive seen measurements on here, Reddit, and NilocG's site, unless theyre are all pretty much the same. Also could you explain the one degree drop? Are you talking about BPS?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshestemo412 View Post
Irishspy - Youre right. Im going to add it and start it off slow.. and keep adjusting till I find the sweet spot. Im not going to high light for now.. maybe medium and well see where that takes me!

Bump: Jrill - I dont think Ive ever seen Barr's directions. Ive seen measurements on here, Reddit, and NilocG's site, unless theyre are all pretty much the same. Also could you explain the one degree drop? Are you talking about BPS?
One degree drop in pH. Just Google Tom Barr EI and you'll find it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

One thing I didn't see covered was the GH / pH relationship. To answer the pH part quickly, GH does not affect pH (carbonate hardness, KH, does). Your pH is fine

GH is general hardness and has to do with calcium and magnesium (and to a much lesser degree other minerals). This is what people refer to as hard or soft water, and some plants do better in each. I use GH booster, and I've seen the recommended target is around 6-8 dGH.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
One thing I didn't see covered was the GH / pH relationship. To answer the pH part quickly, GH does not affect pH (carbonate hardness, KH, does). Your pH is fine

GH is general hardness and has to do with calcium and magnesium (and to a much lesser degree other minerals). This is what people refer to as hard or soft water, and some plants do better in each. I use GH booster, and I've seen the recommended target is around 6-8 dGH.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Great to hear about the pH.

I tested both gH and kH last night. For my gH.. it took 15 drops to turn a greenish color. On the other hand, the kH only took 3 drops. I saw a 'CO2 chart' with the red > green > yellow I believe and matched my kH drops with a range of my pH and it came to 28.5 (green)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode