Drip system questions - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Freemananana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Drip system questions

Hey there! I am setting up a 125g tank with a 75g sump, so roughly 200g. I know it isn't a crazy amount of water for a water change, but I'd like to set up a drip system since it is near some plumbing. I live on city water though, so we have chlorine. It is at most 2 ppm, current water test reports put it at 1.7 ppm. So my question is, if I drip 12 gallons of water a day through a 0.5gph drip emitter, would the chlorine be off gassed or diluted enough to just 'roll with'? I have been debating either a RO/DI system or an inline carbon filter for a refrigerator (or something similar) if this amount of chlorine is unacceptable. It is treated with chlorine and not chloramine though, currently.

Link to our water quality report:

https://www.clermontfl.gov/water-rep...ter-report.pdf

It very specifically says chlorine several times, but never chloramine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:55 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
Hey there! I am setting up a 125g tank with a 75g sump, so roughly 200g. I know it isn't a crazy amount of water for a water change, but I'd like to set up a drip system since it is near some plumbing. I live on city water though, so we have chlorine. It is at most 2 ppm, current water test reports put it at 1.7 ppm. So my question is, if I drip 12 gallons of water a day through a 0.5gph drip emitter, would the chlorine be off gassed or diluted enough to just 'roll with'? I have been debating either a RO/DI system or an inline carbon filter for a refrigerator (or something similar) if this amount of chlorine is unacceptable. It is treated with chlorine and not chloramine though, currently.

Link to our water quality report:

https://www.clermontfl.gov/water-rep...ter-report.pdf

It very specifically says chlorine several times, but never chloramine.
I wouldn't take the chance personally but if in fact it does not contain chloramine I would think between off gassing and dilution you would not see and acute affects, however I don't know the dose at which it would show acute or long term effects but a calculation of the above info is if there were no off gassing happening shows 0.102 ppm of chlorine if diluted as you state. If you could find information on the effect of chlorine on fish you would find your safe answer without trying to calculate off gassing.

Good luck

Dan

Bump: The more I look at the numbers and think about adding in the factor of off gassing I probably would do it but please don't take that as saying its absolutely acceptable because I can't back that up with fact.

Dan

I bought my wife a Co2 system for Christmas so she doesn't have to listen to me complain about not having one. For those that say I'm selfish I got a Kitchen Aid Mixer for Christmas.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
I wouldn't take the chance personally but if in fact it does not contain chloramine I would think between off gassing and dilution you would not see and acute affects, however I don't know the dose at which it would show acute or long term effects but a calculation of the above info is if there were no off gassing happening shows 0.102 ppm of chlorine if diluted as you state. If you could find information on the effect of chlorine on fish you would find your safe answer without trying to calculate off gassing.

Good luck

Dan

Bump: The more I look at the numbers and think about adding in the factor of off gassing I probably would do it but please don't take that as saying its absolutely acceptable because I can't back that up with fact.

Dan

Thanks Dan.

I likely WILL NOT risk it at this level. I am most likely going with a carbon filter. I've decided against RO/DI water because I'd like to keep most of the minerals and dissolved metals in the water. That's where my plants get most, if not all, of their nutrients. I will likely get some dry ferts to dose as well. But I think an inline "whole house" style carbon filter is my solution. I'll tap into the line, add a pressure regulator, pipe a refrigerator line into the stand, adapt it to the filter, run it through a drip emitter (1/2 or 1 gph after some evaporation tests) and into the sump where the overflow empties. Then I'll drill the sump above the return pump and pipe it to flow out a drain under the sink.

That is my plan thus far. I wish more freshwater information was available. Most ATO systems seem to be on salt tanks, for obvious reasons I suppose.

I haven't contacted the local municipality to ask if it is really chlorine yet, but research states that almost every water municipality has switched to chloramine. It was just be false information on the report since chlorine is more widely known by us common folk.
Dman911 likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:05 PM
Children Boogie

The chlorine would probably dilute and degas but it couldn't hurt to add a inline carbon house filter. Get the kind where removing/replacing the carbon is easy.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
The chlorine would probably dilute and degas but it couldn't hurt to add a inline carbon house filter. Get the kind where removing/replacing the carbon is easy.

Any suggestion there? Are we talking easy replacement of pre-manufactured filters or carbon bags that I dump and replace with new activated carbon. I've never used carbon in anything. My fridge has a filter in the bottom I replace yearly and that's about the level of my knowledge. I'm researching this in my spare time but a heads up on something easy would definitely be appreciated!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

I believe that they make carbon-block filters, I have seen them before, I can't remember where. After a certain amount of time, you just replace the cartridge.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:59 PM
Children Boogie

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
I believe that they make carbon-block filters, I have seen them before, I can't remember where. After a certain amount of time, you just replace the cartridge.
Yup! That's what I had in mind myself. Pretty similar to the only experience I have with something like this. I would just place it under the stand. If everything goes well, I will run one of those. I just need to figure out the drain now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode