Drip system questions - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Freemananana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Leesburg, FL
Posts: 2,764
Drip system questions

Updated!

I live in Florida and we do not have floor drains. I was contemplating how to make a drip system work despite this. My tank will be near my kitchen, in the dining room actually. Is there any way to tie into the sink for the overflow drain? I'm no master plumber, but I've done a fair share of sink replacements, garbage disposal installs, etc. I would imagine I could tap some sort of Y into the sink, but was curious if anyone has done anything similar to this?


Thanks




Original post:
Quote:
Hey there! I am setting up a 125g tank with a 75g sump, so roughly 200g. I know it isn't a crazy amount of water for a water change, but I'd like to set up a drip system since it is near some plumbing. I live on city water though, so we have chlorine. It is at most 2 ppm, current water test reports put it at 1.7 ppm. So my question is, if I drip 12 gallons of water a day through a 0.5gph drip emitter, would the chlorine be off gassed or diluted enough to just 'roll with'? I have been debating either a RO/DI system or an inline carbon filter for a refrigerator (or something similar) if this amount of chlorine is unacceptable. It is treated with chlorine and not chloramine though, currently.

Link to our water quality report:

https://www.clermontfl.gov/water-rep...ter-report.pdf

It very specifically says chlorine several times, but never chloramine.

Last edited by Freemananana; 01-24-2017 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Updated questio
Freemananana is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:55 PM
Planted Member
 
Dman911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
Hey there! I am setting up a 125g tank with a 75g sump, so roughly 200g. I know it isn't a crazy amount of water for a water change, but I'd like to set up a drip system since it is near some plumbing. I live on city water though, so we have chlorine. It is at most 2 ppm, current water test reports put it at 1.7 ppm. So my question is, if I drip 12 gallons of water a day through a 0.5gph drip emitter, would the chlorine be off gassed or diluted enough to just 'roll with'? I have been debating either a RO/DI system or an inline carbon filter for a refrigerator (or something similar) if this amount of chlorine is unacceptable. It is treated with chlorine and not chloramine though, currently.

Link to our water quality report:

https://www.clermontfl.gov/water-rep...ter-report.pdf

It very specifically says chlorine several times, but never chloramine.
I wouldn't take the chance personally but if in fact it does not contain chloramine I would think between off gassing and dilution you would not see and acute affects, however I don't know the dose at which it would show acute or long term effects but a calculation of the above info is if there were no off gassing happening shows 0.102 ppm of chlorine if diluted as you state. If you could find information on the effect of chlorine on fish you would find your safe answer without trying to calculate off gassing.

Good luck

Dan

Bump: The more I look at the numbers and think about adding in the factor of off gassing I probably would do it but please don't take that as saying its absolutely acceptable because I can't back that up with fact.

Dan

I bought my wife a Co2 system for Christmas so she doesn't have to listen to me complain about not having one. For those that say I'm selfish I got a Kitchen Aid Mixer for Christmas.
Dman911 is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Freemananana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Leesburg, FL
Posts: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
I wouldn't take the chance personally but if in fact it does not contain chloramine I would think between off gassing and dilution you would not see and acute affects, however I don't know the dose at which it would show acute or long term effects but a calculation of the above info is if there were no off gassing happening shows 0.102 ppm of chlorine if diluted as you state. If you could find information on the effect of chlorine on fish you would find your safe answer without trying to calculate off gassing.

Good luck

Dan

Bump: The more I look at the numbers and think about adding in the factor of off gassing I probably would do it but please don't take that as saying its absolutely acceptable because I can't back that up with fact.

Dan

Thanks Dan.


I likely WILL NOT risk it at this level. I am most likely going with a carbon filter. I've decided against RO/DI water because I'd like to keep most of the minerals and dissolved metals in the water. That's where my plants get most, if not all, of their nutrients. I will likely get some dry ferts to dose as well. But I think an inline "whole house" style carbon filter is my solution. I'll tap into the line, add a pressure regulator, pipe a refrigerator line into the stand, adapt it to the filter, run it through a drip emitter (1/2 or 1 gph after some evaporation tests) and into the sump where the overflow empties. Then I'll drill the sump above the return pump and pipe it to flow out a drain under the sink.


That is my plan thus far. I wish more freshwater information was available. Most ATO systems seem to be on salt tanks, for obvious reasons I suppose.

I haven't contacted the local municipality to ask if it is really chlorine yet, but research states that almost every water municipality has switched to chloramine. It was just be false information on the report since chlorine is more widely known by us common folk.
Dman911 likes this.
Freemananana is online now  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Children Boogie
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,743
The chlorine would probably dilute and degas but it couldn't hurt to add a inline carbon house filter. Get the kind where removing/replacing the carbon is easy.

mistergreen is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Freemananana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Leesburg, FL
Posts: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
The chlorine would probably dilute and degas but it couldn't hurt to add a inline carbon house filter. Get the kind where removing/replacing the carbon is easy.


Any suggestion there? Are we talking easy replacement of pre-manufactured filters or carbon bags that I dump and replace with new activated carbon. I've never used carbon in anything. My fridge has a filter in the bottom I replace yearly and that's about the level of my knowledge. I'm researching this in my spare time but a heads up on something easy would definitely be appreciated!
Freemananana is online now  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:55 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
sohankpatel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Naperville, Illinois
Posts: 1,390
I believe that they make carbon-block filters, I have seen them before, I can't remember where. After a certain amount of time, you just replace the cartridge.
sohankpatel is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:59 PM
Children Boogie
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,743
mistergreen is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Freemananana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Leesburg, FL
Posts: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
I believe that they make carbon-block filters, I have seen them before, I can't remember where. After a certain amount of time, you just replace the cartridge.
Yup! That's what I had in mind myself. Pretty similar to the only experience I have with something like this. I would just place it under the stand. If everything goes well, I will run one of those. I just need to figure out the drain now.
Freemananana is online now  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Freemananana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Leesburg, FL
Posts: 2,764
Has anyone installed an overflow that drains into their sink plumbing or something similar? We do not have floor drains where I live.
Freemananana is online now  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 01:02 PM
Algae Grower
 
OreoP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 34
I use a Rio 1100 pump that is plumbed to the outside of the house using a union - I attach the pump every time I want to change the water, run it till the required amount of water is drained. Usually 50% - 60%. I then refill using a 1/4 inch line that I have plumbed in. There is an inline carbon filter - similar to the one mentioned above. Usually takes about 2 hours to refill the tank as I let the water trickle in. In addition to this, I have a water reservoir and an ATO unit to take care of the evaporation

I do not use a drip system as my thinking is that it will also drain out useful fertilizers (I use EI dosing)
OreoP is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Freemananana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Leesburg, FL
Posts: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoP View Post
I use a Rio 1100 pump that is plumbed to the outside of the house using a union - I attach the pump every time I want to change the water, run it till the required amount of water is drained. Usually 50% - 60%. I then refill using a 1/4 inch line that I have plumbed in. There is an inline carbon filter - similar to the one mentioned above. Usually takes about 2 hours to refill the tank as I let the water trickle in. In addition to this, I have a water reservoir and an ATO unit to take care of the evaporation

I do not use a drip system as my thinking is that it will also drain out useful fertilizers (I use EI dosing)


Hmm Hmm, glad to have some more experience chime in. I do not believe I will ever dose anything, so that isn't a worry for me quite yet. How is the pipe plumbed to the outside?
Freemananana is online now  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 06:43 PM
Algae Grower
 
OreoP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 34
The most "difficult" part was drilling the holes through the dry wall/stucco. Rest of it was straight forward using supplies from Lowes.

Tapped into an outside faucet using a "Y" connector and adapter for 1/4 inch tubing. It is standard 1/4 inch tubing used for irrigation/sprinklet lines.




Before entering the house, I split the line - one for the display tank fill up (beige pipe) and one for the ATO resevoir (black pipe). I have 3 stop valves in the beige line - extra precautions!!



ATO water resevoir with a simple float valve and pump.



Inside the house, next to the tank:



Again just a simple stop valve on the 1/4 inch water line. Water is filled in manually but can be automated with float switches and relays. Union fitting for the drain pump is also on the same side.

View of the drain pipe on the outside.



Rio 1100 pump used for draining:

OreoP is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Freemananana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Leesburg, FL
Posts: 2,764
Super interesting! I will have to look into that. I do have a block home however, which may complicate things more so.
Freemananana is online now  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 03:31 AM
Children Boogie
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,743
When I do water changes, I drain into the basement sink. I drill a 1.5 inch hole in the floor, under my stand.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mistergreen is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Freemananana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Leesburg, FL
Posts: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
When I do water changes, I drain into the basement sink. I drill a 1.5 inch hole in the floor, under my stand.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I wish I was so lucky! I could scoop a handful of sand out of the yard and find water. We don't have basements in Florida, unless you're quite wealthy. Even then, they are a massive undertaking and can be a headache. They do, however, make fish keeping a lot easier! Well, at least in this instance. The perk I have is a nice concrete slab and no need to worry about beefing up the floor.
Freemananana is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome