Cheap co2 system for tank? - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:54 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
I checked it out and found that the shipping almost as high as cost of item. How much did you pay for it after shipping cost? It comes from England
I know nothing about the company, but it does say free global shipping on orders greater than £20. Is it safe to go with a single stage regulator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:03 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
I know nothing about the company, but it does say free global shipping on orders greater than £20. Is it safe to go with a single stage regulator?
Youíre going to find dissenting views on this subject. If you are diligent with your setup and are sure to check your CO2 once a week or so, itís my opinion that there is minimal risk with a single stage regulator. The standing pressure in the tank will start to drop once the tank runs out of liquid CO2. If that pressure drops too far, the regulator can suddenly fail and, in effect, open all the way. You typically have at least a couple of weeks between the time that the standing tank pressure begins to drop and the ďend of tank dumpĒ. If you fill your cylinder before you run out of CO2, it should be a non-issue. Even with a dual stage regulator, you really donít want your tank to run out because then youíre going to be delivering inconsistent CO2 to your plants.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
Oh now I remember it was co2art.co.uk. I had seen this setup. Read that it is sold my the same manufacturer in China.
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Oh now I remember it was co2art.co.uk. I had seen this setup. Read that it is sold my the same manufacturer in China.
I'm not sure if they are the same or not, but I was looking around that website and I'm pretty sure I saw the same ones on a China site as well. Makes me wonder about the true origin of some of the more expensive ones on Amazon. I'm sure many of them are still made in China, so I can't imagine that an expensive one from Amazon or a cheap one purchased directly off a site and shipped from China, really has any difference?

Am I allowed to post the direct link to the regulators I was looking at on the other site?

Current tanks: 75 and 39

Last edited by mrswis; 01-09-2017 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling error
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswis View Post
As for the other responses, unfortunately I do not have an extra $200 laying around to throw at something like this. Kids are expensive you know.
And so is replacing a whole tank of dead fish or plants smothered by algae.

I seriously recommend saving up for a quality system. CO2 malfunctions cause some of the most heartbreaking disasters this hobby has to offer...

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
And so is replacing a whole tank of dead fish or plants smothered by algae.

I seriously recommend saving up for a quality system. CO2 malfunctions cause some of the most heartbreaking disasters this hobby has to offer...
Unfortunately I'm just here looking for cheaper suggestions.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Current tanks: 75 and 39
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
I bought this single stage regulator / solenoid / Needle Valve combo:

CO2 Regulator with Solenoid & Dual Gauges for Vertical Cylinder Valves | CO2 Supermarket

If you get this one, make sure you go with the upgraded needle valve; itís worth it. Youíll also need an adapter if you want to use paintball canisters. With this combo, the only other things you will need are; a bubble counter, brass check valves (the normal plastic ones will harder from the CO2 and stop working), and a means to diffuse the CO2.

Iím using a canister filter, and found that the inline CO2 diffusor from UpAqua has been great. Itís worth buying an extra ceramic piece, that way you can swap it out each time you clean the filter. You can then clean the dirty one without having too much down time on your filtration.
This is a really interesting unit. Looks like it was produced just for our hobby. Since we are such a small niche in the market, manufacturers haven't or are slow to catered to our needs.
It is extremely compact. Might be a benefit if you're trying to hide it under a stand but it certainly is much less modular then a standard set up. The input pressure gauge reads up to 3500PSI which is a waste since CO2 tanks are less then 1500 when full but this is fairly standard and not a huge deal. The output pressure gauge leaves quite a bit to be desired. It reads up to 140psi and no one comes close to this pressure. (If you're going to make something just for the hobby, tailor the product to the hobby) Would be difficult to use with low pressure systems. It is also a single stage regulator so that is an issue. It is made for vertical output tanks... maybe these are common elsewhere in the world. It also doesn't say whether it is a CGA-320 nut, it only uses the term standard. Maybe standard is British or maybe it works for paintball.

Even their dual stage that claims to be built for the hobby has similar issues. Plus the solenoid doesn't come with a US electrical option.

Don't get caught with your plants down
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:33 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvadna View Post
This is a really interesting unit. Looks like it was produced just for our hobby. Since we are such a small niche in the market, manufacturers haven't or are slow to catered to our needs.
It is extremely compact. Might be a benefit if you're trying to hide it under a stand but it certainly is much less modular then a standard set up. The input pressure gauge reads up to 3500PSI which is a waste since CO2 tanks are less then 1500 when full but this is fairly standard and not a huge deal. The output pressure gauge leaves quite a bit to be desired. It reads up to 140psi and no one comes close to this pressure. (If you're going to make something just for the hobby, tailor the product to the hobby) Would be difficult to use with low pressure systems. It is also a single stage regulator so that is an issue. It is made for vertical output tanks... maybe these are common elsewhere in the world. It also doesn't say whether it is a CGA-320 nut, it only uses the term standard. Maybe standard is British or maybe it works for paintball.

Even their dual stage that claims to be built for the hobby has similar issues. Plus the solenoid doesn't come with a US electrical option.
I completely agree with the issues about the pressure being higher than our typical needs. However, they also offer a horizontal output option, they mention it's compatible with CGA-320, as well as the optional paintball adapter, and the plug needs to be selected from a drop down box (UK vs US).

I can't comment on reliability other than it's worked great for me. Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, but I can say that I've been very happy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode